Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > making samba work with OSx 10.4

making samba work with OSx 10.4

thingy

Anybody have smb.conf "tweaks" that suit Mac OSX? I have a [share]
directory on a Linux box that I want to mount with a OSX client.

regards

Thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anybody have smb.conf "tweaks" that suit Mac OSX? I have a [share]
>directory on a Linux box that I want to mount with a OSX client.

Why do you need special OS X tweaks? Samba is Samba after all. Or isn't
it?

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Anybody have smb.conf "tweaks" that suit Mac OSX? I have a [share]
>>directory on a Linux box that I want to mount with a OSX client.

> Why do you need special OS X tweaks? Samba is Samba after all. Or isn't
> it?

Tweaks the allow me to use samba on linux to act as a file server for
the OSx Mac I have. Problems like handling spaces in a file name
properly, the case insensitive nature of OSX....weird invisible files
that are apparant at the unix and windows level but hidden at the OSx
level...(not sure what they do). I know our NT people at work have lots
of issues supporting OSX on win2k and win2k3 due to such file system
funnies...

I just wondered if someone out there had practical experience with
getting Macs to smb share properly....I seem to have got it going OK,
but Im transferring large video files (each a few gig) and this is slow
over 100 meg switched network so any samba tweaks to get samba to work
better ie faster with OSx clients could pay dividends in use.

regards

Thing

thingy

thingy wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> Anybody have smb.conf "tweaks" that suit Mac OSX? I have a [share]
>>> directory on a Linux box that I want to mount with a OSX client.

>> Why do you need special OS X tweaks? Samba is Samba after all. Or
>> isn't it?

> Tweaks the allow me to use samba on linux to act as a file server for
> the OSx Mac I have. Problems like handling spaces in a file name
> properly, the case insensitive nature of OSX....weird invisible files
> that are apparant at the unix and windows level but hidden at the OSx
> level...(not sure what they do). I know our NT people at work have lots
> of issues supporting OSX on win2k and win2k3 due to such file system
> funnies...
>
> I just wondered if someone out there had practical experience with
> getting Macs to smb share properly....I seem to have got it going OK,
> but Im transferring large video files (each a few gig) and this is slow
> over 100 meg switched network so any samba tweaks to get samba to work
> better ie faster with OSx clients could pay dividends in use.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

hmm no i have not, I can read a file and delete it but not copy & paste
to the share, kinda weird since I can delete file sn stuff from inside
OSX....

:/

regards

Thing

Gordon

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 09:52:49 +1300, thingy wrote:

> Anybody have smb.conf "tweaks" that suit Mac OSX? I have a [share]
> directory on a Linux box that I want to mount with a OSX client.

Psst! NFS have you tried doing it this way?

thingy

Gordon wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 09:52:49 +1300, thingy wrote:
>

>>Anybody have smb.conf "tweaks" that suit Mac OSX? I have a [share]
>>directory on a Linux box that I want to mount with a OSX client.
>>

> Psst! NFS have you tried doing it this way?

[share] appears in network so while I have NFS going for the linux
clients, I have no idea how to get it going for the OSx ones, and I have
samba for the windows ones anyway and OSX sees it, so Im mostly there.

I have a weird issue though, when I drag and drop a folder onto the
share the folder is created but the contents are not transfered, it
gives a "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have
sufficient privaledges for some of the items"....time to google....yet I
can drag and drop and delete stuff with no issue if it is already there
on the share......

regards

Thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Anybody have smb.conf "tweaks" that suit Mac OSX? I have a [share]
>>>directory on a Linux box that I want to mount with a OSX client.

>> Why do you need special OS X tweaks? Samba is Samba after all. Or isn't
>> it?

>Tweaks the allow me to use samba on linux to act as a file server for
>the OSx Mac I have. Problems like handling spaces in a file name
>properly, the case insensitive nature of OSX....weird invisible files
>that are apparant at the unix and windows level but hidden at the OSx
>level...(not sure what they do). I know our NT people at work have lots
>of issues supporting OSX on win2k and win2k3 due to such file system
>funnies...

Ah yes, Apple's brain-dead system for saving its GUI state. When the
NeXT engineers came in, took over, threw out old MacOS and brought in OS
X, they couldn't be bothered to preserve the old desktop database
system. Yes, it had its quirks, but they were reasonably well understood
after so many years.

Neither could they adopt any of the existing systems that Mac-UNIX
interoperability gurus, or even Apple themselves, had invented (e.g.
AppleDouble). Noooo, they had to invent yet _another_ scheme, which
involves scattering these ".DS_Store" bits of crap all over the ruddy
filesystem.

Do yourself a favour: dump OS X, and install Linux on your Mac. You have
a range of Linux distros to choose from, including Yellow Dog, Debian,
and I think even SuSE now. You will coexist much better with the rest of
the world, and lower the average blood pressure all round (yours
included).

Yes, I was a rugged Mac individualist myself for over a decade. These
days, I'd rather switch than fight...

thing2

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>>Why do you need special OS X tweaks? Samba is Samba after all. Or isn't
>>>it?

>>Tweaks the allow me to use samba on linux to act as a file server for
>>the OSx Mac I have. Problems like handling spaces in a file name
>>properly, the case insensitive nature of OSX....weird invisible files
>>that are apparant at the unix and windows level but hidden at the OSx
>>level...(not sure what they do). I know our NT people at work have lots
>>of issues supporting OSX on win2k and win2k3 due to such file system
>>funnies...

> Ah yes, Apple's brain-dead system for saving its GUI state. When the
> NeXT engineers came in, took over, threw out old MacOS and brought in OS
> X, they couldn't be bothered to preserve the old desktop database
> system. Yes, it had its quirks, but they were reasonably well understood
> after so many years.
>
> Neither could they adopt any of the existing systems that Mac-UNIX
> interoperability gurus, or even Apple themselves, had invented (e.g.
> AppleDouble). Noooo, they had to invent yet _another_ scheme, which
> involves scattering these ".DS_Store" bits of crap all over the ruddy
> filesystem.

yeah thats the crap, also there seem to be ._clip01 as well as clip01
which is the actual video file, if you dont back up the ._clip01 the
subsequent restored files are u/s.

> Do yourself a favour: dump OS X, and install Linux on your Mac. You have
> a range of Linux distros to choose from, including Yellow Dog, Debian,
> and I think even SuSE now. You will coexist much better with the rest of
> the world, and lower the average blood pressure all round (yours
> included).
>
> Yes, I was a rugged Mac individualist myself for over a decade. These
> days, I'd rather switch than fight...

Not an option, otherwise she who must be obeyed would be on a PC running
Linux and Ive been told NO!

;]

OSX has to many nice tools like iCal, itunes, imovie, adobe software
like photoshop CS etc etc that just are not available in Linux world.

regards

Thing

gdhnz@hotmail.com

You complain about the lack of gui to change samba and then suggest
they migrate to linux where the lack of tools is the same.

Samba is Samba, whether on OSX or linux.

Why not read up on all the documentation available and then edit the
/etc/smb.conf file on your mac to do what you want?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> >> Why do you need special OS X tweaks? Samba is Samba after all. Or isn't
> >> it?

> >Tweaks the allow me to use samba on linux to act as a file server for
> >the OSx Mac I have. Problems like handling spaces in a file name
> >properly, the case insensitive nature of OSX....weird invisible files
> >that are apparant at the unix and windows level but hidden at the OSx
> >level...(not sure what they do). I know our NT people at work have lots
> >of issues supporting OSX on win2k and win2k3 due to such file system
> >funnies...

> Ah yes, Apple's brain-dead system for saving its GUI state. When the
> NeXT engineers came in, took over, threw out old MacOS and brought in OS
> X, they couldn't be bothered to preserve the old desktop database
> system. Yes, it had its quirks, but they were reasonably well understood
> after so many years.
>
> Neither could they adopt any of the existing systems that Mac-UNIX
> interoperability gurus, or even Apple themselves, had invented (e.g.
> AppleDouble). Noooo, they had to invent yet _another_ scheme, which
> involves scattering these ".DS_Store" bits of crap all over the ruddy
> filesystem.
>
> Do yourself a favour: dump OS X, and install Linux on your Mac. You have
> a range of Linux distros to choose from, including Yellow Dog, Debian,
> and I think even SuSE now. You will coexist much better with the rest of
> the world, and lower the average blood pressure all round (yours
> included).
>
> Yes, I was a rugged Mac individualist myself for over a decade. These
> days, I'd rather switch than fight...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

>Samba is Samba, whether on OSX or linux.

That's what I said.

map drive from window/2000 to Linux samba John Cisco 1 10-04-2005 06:11 AM
IPSec + rdesktop/samba problem. =?iso-8859-2?q?Micha=B3_Iwaszko?= Cisco 8 02-03-2005 08:38 AM
how to get OSx to write to a samba share? thing NZ Computing 5 08-17-2004 05:17 AM
Samba PDC and PIX Firewall Mirek Cisco 0 02-19-2004 02:25 PM
Logging on a Samba PDC over Cisco Router Raffi Cisco 4 02-06-2004 07:35 PM

Advertisments