Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Strange windows explorer behaviour

Strange windows explorer behaviour

Peter Huebner

This is a new one on me. Since quite recently, when I try to open 'my
computer' I get a wait of around 30 seconds or so before anything
happens. Just get that little cute 'torch' animation.
This happened round about the time I installed the new HP2610 network
printer, but I am not even sure if it was before or after installing the
drivers for that.

Same behaviour in some file requester types (but not in the ones that
have a different box for selecting disks).

Anybody have a clue what might be causing this?

-Peter

E. Scrooge

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> This is a new one on me. Since quite recently, when I try to open 'my
> computer' I get a wait of around 30 seconds or so before anything
> happens. Just get that little cute 'torch' animation.
> This happened round about the time I installed the new HP2610 network
> printer, but I am not even sure if it was before or after installing the
> drivers for that.
>
> Same behaviour in some file requester types (but not in the ones that
> have a different box for selecting disks).
>
> Anybody have a clue what might be causing this?
>
> -Peter

Uninstall the printer and see what happens. You can always install it again
once you've seen if it makes any difference at all.

E. Scrooge

EMB

Peter Huebner wrote:
> This is a new one on me. Since quite recently, when I try to open 'my
> computer' I get a wait of around 30 seconds or so before anything
> happens. Just get that little cute 'torch' animation.
> This happened round about the time I installed the new HP2610 network
> printer, but I am not even sure if it was before or after installing the
> drivers for that.
>
> Same behaviour in some file requester types (but not in the ones that
> have a different box for selecting disks).
>
> Anybody have a clue what might be causing this?

My guess is that the memory card reader in the printer has been mapped
as drives to your PC so Explorer is looking to see if there's any data
on a memory card when it opens. Otherwise it could be as simple as you
having left a CD in the CD drive and Explorer is waiting whilst it spins
the drive up to get a directory listing for the PC (although 30 secs
sounds a bit too long for this).

--
EMB

Peter Huebner

In article <di6l59$d93$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> My guess is that the memory card reader in the printer has been mapped
> as drives to your PC so Explorer is looking to see if there's any data
> on a memory card when it opens.

Yupp, uninstalling the printer software did the trick. Weird thing is,
the damn thing (memory card reader over the lan) never worked in the
first place even though the printer and scanner and fax worked fine.

Here's hoping it'll work next time and not screw with the system again

-P.

Tim

Try disabling the device in Device Manager if it happens again.
- Tim