Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Of All Things Why Aren't Microsoft Products Fully Compatible With Each Other???

Of All Things Why Aren't Microsoft Products Fully Compatible With Each Other???

E. Scrooge

Small problem for starters on brand new PC was despite having MS Works 8 the
spell checker in OE wouldn't work. A search of the Net suggested making
sure a certain file or 2 was in Proof and Outlook Express.

Soon fixed the OE spell check by uninstalling Works 8 (Works 7 has the same
problem going by what's on the Net about it), and then installing Works
2000.

Only trouble is MS Works 2000 (Word) could no longer make any sense of MS
WPS files that were created and saved by MS Works 8 (Word).

Problems with software running on products from completely different
companies are hardly too surprising, but MS Works 2000 and MS Works 8 are
identical products both from the same very outfit.

Fortunately it only involved 3 files, but if anyone is sharing Word WPS that
they've created with other Word users, then they're completely stuffed if
they're not all using exactly the same version instead of versions which are
only a few years apart.

That's just crazy that 2 Word processors from the same company can't even
understand the files that each of them has created.

The small stuff up of the spell checker not working in OE6 with Works 7/8 is
a backwards step or 2 as well, and not a sign of a damn update to fix it.

E. Scrooge

Peter

*sling wrote:
> Problems with software running on products from completely different
> companies are hardly too surprising, but MS Works 2000 and MS Works 8 are
> identical products both from the same very outfit.

try moving files between different versions of MS Publisher

The other common problem is moving database data between MS Works and MS
Access.

Peter

GraB

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 21:56:38 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
(*sling)> wrote:

>Small problem for starters on brand new PC was despite having MS Works 8 the
>spell checker in OE wouldn't work. A search of the Net suggested making
>sure a certain file or 2 was in Proof and Outlook Express.
>
>Soon fixed the OE spell check by uninstalling Works 8 (Works 7 has the same
>problem going by what's on the Net about it), and then installing Works
>2000.
>
>Only trouble is MS Works 2000 (Word) could no longer make any sense of MS
>WPS files that were created and saved by MS Works 8 (Word).
>
>Problems with software running on products from completely different
>companies are hardly too surprising, but MS Works 2000 and MS Works 8 are
>identical products both from the same very outfit.
>
>Fortunately it only involved 3 files, but if anyone is sharing Word WPS that
>they've created with other Word users, then they're completely stuffed if
>they're not all using exactly the same version instead of versions which are
>only a few years apart.
>
>That's just crazy that 2 Word processors from the same company can't even
>understand the files that each of them has created.
>
>The small stuff up of the spell checker not working in OE6 with Works 7/8 is
>a backwards step or 2 as well, and not a sign of a damn update to fix it.
>
>E. Scrooge

I can't believe this is still happening. I had MS Works 3 ages ago
and found that Word couldn't open a Works document. Installed
ClarisWorks instead.

I wonder if the latest OpenOffice will open both those files? Would
be interesting to find out.

E. Scrooge

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> *sling wrote:
>> Problems with software running on products from completely different
>> companies are hardly too surprising, but MS Works 2000 and MS Works 8 are
>> identical products both from the same very outfit.

> try moving files between different versions of MS Publisher
>
> The other common problem is moving database data between MS Works and MS
> Access.
>

> Peter

Hardly any excuse for it to purposely create such incompatibilities between
products which Microsoft had created in the first place.

No doubt they'll make sure any old XBox game will play the next version of
the XBox even though they don't to make sure similar PC products are fully
compatible.

Somehow it must go against the anti trust laws for Microsoft to making sure
that similar products aren't even compatible.

There's something about ULA (or whatever) for other products of software
from other companies to be able to work on XP OS, while Microducts doesn't
worry if their own products are conpatible with each other or not.
It's hardly the way to help link most PCs together when they can't even
understand the files created on very similar Microsoft products.
Of course the problem goes right to back to MS HQ in the US which do all the
designing of the products in the first place.

E. Scrooge

Rob J

In article <1128677908.389612@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > *sling wrote:
> >> Problems with software running on products from completely different
> >> companies are hardly too surprising, but MS Works 2000 and MS Works 8 are
> >> identical products both from the same very outfit.

> > try moving files between different versions of MS Publisher
> >
> > The other common problem is moving database data between MS Works and MS
> > Access.
> >

> > Peter

> Hardly any excuse for it to purposely create such incompatibilities between
> products which Microsoft had created in the first place.

Actually, Works could be a buy-in - the Mac version certainly was
(Productivity Software)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

*sling wrote:

> Only trouble is MS Works 2000 (Word) could no longer make any sense of MS
> WPS files that were created and saved by MS Works 8 (Word).
>
> Problems with software running on products from completely different
> companies are hardly too surprising, but MS Works 2000 and MS Works 8 are
> identical products both from the same very outfit.
>
> That's just crazy that 2 Word processors from the same company can't even
> understand the files that each of them has created.

Remember Conway's Law: any piece of software reflects the organizational
structure that produced it.

The fact that different versions of Works have so much trouble exchanging
documents obviously reflects the fact that they are produced by different
groups at different times within Microsoft, with little or no communication
between them.

And why don't they communicate? Because they don't need to. Obviously
Microsoft's marketing department has determined that Works users rarely
upgrade, and hence each version can effectively be considered to be a
different product, while there are no large Microsoft customers running a
mixture of versions of Works, with the buying clout to insist that they
interoperate properly.

Remember the rule with closed-source vendors: you either do things the way
they want you to do them, or you don't do them at all.

GraB

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 23:54:30 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>*sling wrote:
>
>> Only trouble is MS Works 2000 (Word) could no longer make any sense of MS
>> WPS files that were created and saved by MS Works 8 (Word).
>>
>> Problems with software running on products from completely different
>> companies are hardly too surprising, but MS Works 2000 and MS Works 8 are
>> identical products both from the same very outfit.
>>
>> That's just crazy that 2 Word processors from the same company can't even
>> understand the files that each of them has created.

>Remember Conway's Law: any piece of software reflects the organizational
>structure that produced it.
>
>The fact that different versions of Works have so much trouble exchanging
>documents obviously reflects the fact that they are produced by different
>groups at different times within Microsoft, with little or no communication
>between them.

So, though they intended to produce a software 'horse' they produced a
software 'camel'.

E. Scrooge

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 21:56:38 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
> (*sling)> wrote:
>
>>Small problem for starters on brand new PC was despite having MS Works 8
>>the
>>spell checker in OE wouldn't work. A search of the Net suggested making
>>sure a certain file or 2 was in Proof and Outlook Express.
>>
>>Soon fixed the OE spell check by uninstalling Works 8 (Works 7 has the
>>same
>>problem going by what's on the Net about it), and then installing Works
>>2000.
>>
>>Only trouble is MS Works 2000 (Word) could no longer make any sense of MS
>>WPS files that were created and saved by MS Works 8 (Word).
>>
>>Problems with software running on products from completely different
>>companies are hardly too surprising, but MS Works 2000 and MS Works 8 are
>>identical products both from the same very outfit.
>>
>>Fortunately it only involved 3 files, but if anyone is sharing Word WPS
>>that
>>they've created with other Word users, then they're completely stuffed if
>>they're not all using exactly the same version instead of versions which
>>are
>>only a few years apart.
>>
>>That's just crazy that 2 Word processors from the same company can't even
>>understand the files that each of them has created.
>>
>>The small stuff up of the spell checker not working in OE6 with Works 7/8
>>is
>>a backwards step or 2 as well, and not a sign of a damn update to fix it.
>>
>>E. Scrooge
>>

> I can't believe this is still happening. I had MS Works 3 ages ago
> and found that Word couldn't open a Works document. Installed
> ClarisWorks instead.
>
> I wonder if the latest OpenOffice will open both those files? Would
> be interesting to find out.

I had a version of Claris Works years ago. It was great what could be done
with it.

E. Scrooge

GraB

>> I can't believe this is still happening. I had MS Works 3 ages ago
>> and found that Word couldn't open a Works document. Installed
>> ClarisWorks instead.
>>
>> I wonder if the latest OpenOffice will open both those files? Would
>> be interesting to find out.

>I had a version of Claris Works years ago. It was great what could be done
>with it.

I have kept the discs with ClarisWorks 1, 3, and I think I might have
version 5 somewhere. Good to install on low-end PCs for people who
just want a simple word processor that is light on resources.

E. Scrooge

news:di5k4t$g2r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> *sling wrote:
>
>> Only trouble is MS Works 2000 (Word) could no longer make any sense of MS
>> WPS files that were created and saved by MS Works 8 (Word).
>>
>> Problems with software running on products from completely different
>> companies are hardly too surprising, but MS Works 2000 and MS Works 8 are
>> identical products both from the same very outfit.
>>
>> That's just crazy that 2 Word processors from the same company can't even
>> understand the files that each of them has created.

> Remember Conway's Law: any piece of software reflects the organizational
> structure that produced it.
>
> The fact that different versions of Works have so much trouble exchanging
> documents obviously reflects the fact that they are produced by different
> groups at different times within Microsoft, with little or no
> communication
> between them.
>
> And why don't they communicate? Because they don't need to. Obviously
> Microsoft's marketing department has determined that Works users rarely
> upgrade, and hence each version can effectively be considered to be a
> different product, while there are no large Microsoft customers running a
> mixture of versions of Works, with the buying clout to insist that they
> interoperate properly.
>
> Remember the rule with closed-source vendors: you either do things the way
> they want you to do them, or you don't do them at all.

Funny thing is, as far as Word goes at least, there's hardly any difference
in the look and use of them between the early ones and Word 8. Instead
Microsoft has made damn sure that they're not compatible, as far as any file
sharing goes even if the files have the same "WPS" extensions.

Other products get along a damn sight better. Imagine if saved jpeg images
created on PSP won't work on any other product from any other company other
than on PSP.
And that's exactly what the nonsense with these Microsoft Works products is
like.

E. Scrooge