Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > wireless adsl thingee recomendation

Reply
Thread Tools

wireless adsl thingee recomendation

 
 
Steve H
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-06-2005
if you cant already tell by the subject i am compleatly out of my depth
when it comes to these 'thingees' so hopefully somebody can recommend
something.

budget 200, 250 at a stretch

what i want :

i host several servers behind my ip so it should do forwarding (i would
assume this would be normal these days).

i would like to deny access to several servers mabye even address ranges,
things like block advert-servers & block msn-messenger (again i would
assume this would be normal)

the little understanding i do have about wireless networks is that we have
two types, the slow 12mbit & the faster 50mbit. if it can do both that
would be excelent.

it oviously should have a port so i can plug it into my switch.

can anybody recommend something, mabye even some research material


thanks heaps

---------------------
Steven H
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-06-2005
sounds like a few different issues... reply is inline.

Steve H wrote:
> budget 200, 250 at a stretch


sounds fine ish.

> what i want :
> i host several servers behind my ip so it should do forwarding (i would
> assume this would be normal these days).


forwarding is easy, pretty much any of the ones with router in the name
should do this no questions asked.

> i would like to deny access to several servers mabye even address ranges,
> things like block advert-servers & block msn-messenger (again i would
> assume this would be normal)


ummm, whats the reason for this?
Just wondering as this is kinda a totally different angle to the one
above. If just home users, then why block it, and if corporate, why such
a low budget?

Using a PC with IPcop may be better suited to this.

> the little understanding i do have about wireless networks is that we have
> two types, the slow 12mbit & the faster 50mbit. if it can do both that
> would be excelent.


most do, look for b+g(802.11b and 802.11g) or similar

> it oviously should have a port so i can plug it into my switch.


most do, especially if you want the ones with the above features.

> can anybody recommend something, mabye even some research material


Billion routers seem to be good bang for buck... they are the same as
the DSE ones, but have more ****/features enabled.

--
http://dave.net.nz - my site.
http://www.dave.net.nz/csb/id37.htm <- Blog.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve H
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-06-2005
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:13:29 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> sounds like a few different issues... reply is inline.


thanks for your insights


>> i would like to deny access to several servers mabye even address ranges,
>> things like block advert-servers & block msn-messenger (again i would
>> assume this would be normal)

>
> ummm, whats the reason for this?
> Just wondering as this is kinda a totally different angle to the one
> above. If just home users, then why block it, and if corporate, why such
> a low budget?


point taken, reasoning with the msn blocking is a 'issue' in my flat with
one of the computer owners & the person who is always using it

> Using a PC with IPcop may be better suited to this.


iirc this has a special name that i should look for where you disable the
routers internal firewall / rules and is pluged into a diffrent box that
does the firewall

> most do, look for b+g(802.11b and 802.11g) or similar


thanks

>
>> can anybody recommend something, mabye even some research material

>
> Billion routers seem to be good bang for buck... they are the same as
> the DSE ones, but have more ****/features enabled.


thanks

--------
Steven H
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-06-2005
Steve H wrote:

>>Using a PC with IPcop may be better suited to this.

>
>
> iirc this has a special name that i should look for where you disable the
> routers internal firewall / rules and is pluged into a diffrent box that
> does the firewall


Grab an old PC (any PII or better machine with 128MB or more of RAM, 2
NICs and a HDD will do) and head on over to http://ipcop.org and
download the software and read the guide. The head to
http://firewalladdons.sourceforge.net/ and download and install the
addons server. From the addons server install Copplus and you've got
all the filtering options you need to keep the flatmates in line.


--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve H
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-06-2005
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:17:18 +1300, EMB wrote:

> Steve H wrote:
>
>>>Using a PC with IPcop may be better suited to this.

>>
>>
>> iirc this has a special name that i should look for where you disable the
>> routers internal firewall / rules and is pluged into a diffrent box that
>> does the firewall

>
> Grab an old PC (any PII or better machine with 128MB or more of RAM, 2
> NICs and a HDD will do) and head on over to http://ipcop.org and
> download the software and read the guide. The head to
> http://firewalladdons.sourceforge.net/ and download and install the
> addons server. From the addons server install Copplus and you've got
> all the filtering options you need to keep the flatmates in line.


lol yes true, but doesnt the dsl box need to support 'pass-through' (forget
proper term) to let a diffrent box handle the firewall

--------
Steven H
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-06-2005
Steve H wrote:

> lol yes true, but doesnt the dsl box need to support 'pass-through' (forget
> proper term) to let a diffrent box handle the firewall


Half bridge mode will put the ISP assigned IP address straight onto the
ethernet port of the ADSL router, however even using NAT and forwarding
any necessary ports on the ADSL router will work. The only real problem
is that if the WAP is built into the ADSL router the external firewall
won't do anything for the wireless LAN connections.

Assuming that you've already got an ADSL connection you might be better
to use the existing ADSL hardware, set up an IPCOP box with 3 NIC's and
buy a wireless access point to hang off it's own interface on the IPCOP.


--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing from BT ADSL home to ADSL business (a warning) jasee UK VOIP 57 09-26-2006 07:36 PM
Sweex ADSL Annex-A wired ADSL Router Switch Alex Clarke Computer Support 2 10-15-2005 11:34 PM
ADSL router as ATA without ADSL bit? Adam Aglionby UK VOIP 2 08-24-2005 12:07 AM
adsl pci modem, and adsl ethernet modem jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk Computer Information 8 01-18-2005 03:36 PM



Advertisments