Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Bill Gates now huge Linux user

Bill Gates now huge Linux user

Nathan Mercer

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>>SHUSH!
>>>
>>>Bill will insist it be rendered on Windows......and we won't see the movie
>>>until 2021

>>Hilarious.
>>
>>Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith was rendered on Windows x64
>> by JAK Films, a division of Lucasfilm did it on Windows x64 (whilst
>>still in beta which is some sort of vapourware apparently) on AMD64
>>Opteron CPUs.

> Were they running any actual 64-bit applications?

Yes.

Otherwise its not likely they would bother to purchase AMD64 hardware
and run Windows x64 ontop of it, is it?

What has that got to do with taking 15 years to render Halo, because the
render farm is running Windows though?

>>Vapourware looks pretty good to me
>>http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../jak_films.wmv

> Fine if you're George Lucas, but then George Lucas isn't exactly
> "ordinary mortals", is he? Besides, if Lucasfilm had any problems with
> those Windows x64 installs, they could probably call Bill Gates himself
> up in the middle of the night and have him personally come round to sort
> them out.
>
> Not exactly something available to ordinary mortals, which is why it was
> vapourware...

Well AMD64 hardware is widespread, and Windows x64 beta was downloadable
from microsoft.com for anyone that wanted to do so. Thats no
vapourware. Except in your mind.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <434b4dbc$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>>Hilarious.
>>>
>>>Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith was rendered on Windows x64
>>> by JAK Films, a division of Lucasfilm did it on Windows x64 (whilst
>>>still in beta which is some sort of vapourware apparently) on AMD64
>>>Opteron CPUs.

>> Were they running any actual 64-bit applications?

>Yes.
>
>Otherwise its not likely they would bother to purchase AMD64 hardware
>and run Windows x64 ontop of it, is it?

Well, there is always the PR capital to be made out of it (as you have
been trying to do).

Which 64-bit applications were these, as a matter of curiosity? Were
they beta or release versions?

Nathan Mercer

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>>Were they running any actual 64-bit applications?

>>Yes.
>>
>>Otherwise its not likely they would bother to purchase AMD64 hardware
>>and run Windows x64 ontop of it, is it?

> Well, there is always the PR capital to be made out of it (as you have
> been trying to do).

I'm not the one dragging this thread on asking stupid questions.
Theres little or no PR to be had from newsgroups from what I can tell.

> Which 64-bit applications were these, as a matter of curiosity? Were
> they beta or release versions?

Alias Maya and Adobe After Effects running on top of Windows XP
Professional x64 Vapourware Edition

Asynchronous Logic Gates and Analog Logic Gates Jyoti Ballabh Software 3 11-26-2009 06:48 PM
Bill Gates Life Leonardo Anselmo Microsoft Certification 0 12-10-2005 11:23 AM
Bill Gates Life Leonardo Anselmo MCSD 0 12-10-2005 11:18 AM
Bill Gates Announce IE 7.0 Jay Calvert Firefox 8 02-17-2005 02:26 AM
Bill Gates Knighthood?? Discuss Paul Hathaway MCSE 78 01-29-2004 12:49 AM

Advertisments