Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wireless security

Wireless security

shannon

Richard wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>
>> And the application and aptitude to use a unix command line
>> application to crack the encryption.

> There is a knoppix iso around with all the tools and a web tutorial.

knoppix-std
I wonder if it supports my USB wifi dongle, then I can actually go down
the road with a wok skimmer and act like I have no life to see if it is
really practical with current APs or just an urban legend.

Have you actually cracked anyones WEP Richard ?

Has anyone here cracked WEP on a recent generation AP ?

steve

ShuckItAnShee wrote:

> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Richard wrote:

> wireless

> can't

>> > Or have a 24dB grid or even a cantenna at some distance from your house

>> Good luck to them.

> I think the essence of this is that the evildoers do not require luck;
> merely a high-gain antenna.

.....and the desire and a fair bit of time (days / weeks) and computing power
to crack the encryption.

Honestly....I have nothing on any PC in the house that would compromise me
in any way or be a loss if someone copied it.

They would find that out in due course.

Why build a castle around a quiet empty paddock?

Now....a pile of gold - sure.

steve

shannon wrote:

> Have you actually cracked anyones WEP Richard ?
>
> Has anyone here cracked WEP on a recent generation AP ?

Now there you go - spoiling things by raising the spectre of ACTUAL risk
versus imagined risk.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

steve wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>

>>Have you actually cracked anyones WEP Richard ?
>>
>>Has anyone here cracked WEP on a recent generation AP ?

> Now there you go - spoiling things by raising the spectre of ACTUAL risk
> versus imagined risk.

I know that when I go wardriving... err, I mean if I were to go
wardriving, I dont... I mean I wouldn't bother with the wep ones as
there are... I mean would imagine that there'd be plenty of unsecured
ones sitting around.

--
http://dave.net.nz - my site.
http://www.dave.net.nz/csb/id37.htm <- Blog.

Shane

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:35:43 +1300, steve wrote:

> shannon wrote:
>
>> Have you actually cracked anyones WEP Richard ?
>>
>> Has anyone here cracked WEP on a recent generation AP ?

> Now there you go - spoiling things by raising the spectre of ACTUAL risk
> versus imagined risk.

Hmm the problem there though is..
Could anyone here please risk their current/future employment and tell
everybody (archived for some years to come) that you have broken the law
recently

Richard

shannon wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
>> shannon wrote:
>>
>>> And the application and aptitude to use a unix command line
>>> application to crack the encryption.

>> There is a knoppix iso around with all the tools and a web tutorial.

> knoppix-std
> I wonder if it supports my USB wifi dongle, then I can actually go down
> the road with a wok skimmer and act like I have no life to see if it is
> really practical with current APs or just an urban legend.
>
> Have you actually cracked anyones WEP Richard ?
>
> Has anyone here cracked WEP on a recent generation AP ?

I have watched someone do it to a wlan located about 750 metres away with a 24dB
dish. I have no idea what generation hardware it was, but must have being recent
since it supported 54 meg

Shane

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:53:49 +1300, Shane wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:35:43 +1300, steve wrote:
>
>> shannon wrote:
>>
>>> Have you actually cracked anyones WEP Richard ?
>>>
>>> Has anyone here cracked WEP on a recent generation AP ?

>> Now there you go - spoiling things by raising the spectre of ACTUAL risk
>> versus imagined risk.

> Hmm the problem there though is..
> Could anyone here please risk their current/future employment and tell
> everybody (archived for some years to come) that you have broken the law
> recently

er...
with the exception of people cracking their own wep encryption.

Fishb8

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ShuckItAnShee wrote:
>

>> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> wireless

>> can't

>>> Good luck to them.

>> I think the essence of this is that the evildoers do not require luck;
>> merely a high-gain antenna.

> ....and the desire and a fair bit of time (days / weeks) and computing
> power
> to crack the encryption.
>
> Honestly....I have nothing on any PC in the house that would compromise me
> in any way or be a loss if someone copied it.
>
> They would find that out in due course.
>
> Why build a castle around a quiet empty paddock?
>
> Now....a pile of gold - sure.

I'm not defending my son or his flatmates and I have no idea how it's done
but they live in London and have hacked into a wifi from someone close by.
They've got the log-on and password and can tell when the owner is also
using his link so they can get off-line. Can't be too hard.

shannon

Fishb8 wrote:

> I'm not defending my son or his flatmates and I have no idea how it's done
> but they live in London and have hacked into a wifi from someone close by.
> They've got the log-on and password and can tell when the owner is also
> using his link so they can get off-line. Can't be too hard.

I doubt whether they would need a username / password or be able to tell
when he is using his AP, it doesn't work like that, whether you have to
crack the WEP key or not.
There are a lot of open APs around, some people just share the love.
I use a wireless pda around town and for email use $20 worth of cafenet will
probably last me a year.