Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wireless LAN - access point security.

Wireless LAN - access point security.

Crash

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Shane wrote:

[snip]

>> My biggest worry is if the person who gains access to an unsecured WLAN
>> then goes on to use that internet connection to commit a crime, the first
>> port of call the police will make is to the owners of the WLAN. Although
>> this should be quickly cleared up, its more than a slight inconvenience.
>> That and youve aided (unwittingly) the criminal to hide his tracks
>>

> Hell no; you might even have helped by collecting evidence. APs often
> log access and identify the MAC of the connected system. Could be useful.

One of the articles I read pointed out the ease with which MACS can be spoofed.....

Crash.

-=rjh=-

Richard wrote:
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>

>> Hell no; you might even have helped by collecting evidence. APs often
>> log access and identify the MAC of the connected system. Could be useful.

> Its not like mac addresses cant be changed!

Sure, but it is entirely possible that somebody using an open AP might
not know/bother to spoof a MAC address, or - more important - might
forget to change it after using an AP.

Mercury

how do *you* do that on an XP Home system?

news:43438da4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP wrote:
>
>> Its fully up to the user to set up the security, even a little Sony PSP
>> has
>> that..

> How do you install the SSL certs into it to authenticate for 802.1x?

Richard

Mercury wrote:
> how do *you* do that on an XP Home system?
>

> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43438da4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>XP wrote:
>>

>>>Its fully up to the user to set up the security, even a little Sony PSP
>>>has
>>>that..

>>How do you install the SSL certs into it to authenticate for 802.1x?

I dont know, I only have XP pro here.

Otherwise you could use PSK and change it regually but thats a pain in the ass.

I just have wep and then VPN to the machine I have working nat/router duty, and
have the AP on the subnet between the dsl router and the nat/router machine, the
only other thing on that subnet is the p2p downloading machine.

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Vote with your wallet for hardware that is secure by default.

Hardware needs software, so it follows that we should also:

"Vote with your wallet for software that is secure by default."

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"