Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > spoiled by 2Mb/s UBS

spoiled by 2Mb/s UBS

Evil Bastard

There I was, happy on 256kb/s UBS.

Now, after having switched to 2Mb/s UBS on Orcon's $10/10GB/mo deal, I'm
whining when big downloads slow down to a paltry 190 kBytes/sec.

--
Cheers
EB

~misfit~

Evil Bastard wrote:
> There I was, happy on 256kb/s UBS.
>
> Now, after having switched to 2Mb/s UBS on Orcon's $10/10GB/mo deal,
> I'm whining when big downloads slow down to a paltry 190 kBytes/sec.

<crosspost to the monkeyhouse removed>

That sounds good. I signed up for it about 3 weeks ago and have to wait
until the 10th of this month for changeover..
--
~misfit~

Evil Bastard

~misfit~ wrote:
> Evil Bastard wrote:
>
>>There I was, happy on 256kb/s UBS.
>>
>>Now, after having switched to 2Mb/s UBS on Orcon's $10/10GB/mo deal,
>>I'm whining when big downloads slow down to a paltry 190 kBytes/sec.

> <crosspost to the monkeyhouse removed>
>
> That sounds good. I signed up for it about 3 weeks ago and have to wait
> until the 10th of this month for changeover..

I had to reboot my to implement a NAT change and when it came back up,
it reconnected at 2Mb/s (a week before Orcon said it would happen).

Try rebooting your router. You might be pleasantly surprised.

--
Cheers
EB

steve

Evil Bastard wrote:

> There I was, happy on 256kb/s UBS.
>
> Now, after having switched to 2Mb/s UBS on Orcon's $10/10GB/mo deal, I'm
> whining when big downloads slow down to a paltry 190 kBytes/sec.

I've had 2mbps from one supplier or another for most of 7 years.

When will they go FASTER!!!

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)se says...
> There I was, happy on 256kb/s UBS.
>
> Now, after having switched to 2Mb/s UBS on Orcon's $10/10GB/mo deal, I'm
> whining when big downloads slow down to a paltry 190 kBytes/sec.

you'll get bored with a pathetic 250KB soon enough.

--
Duncan

~misfit~

Evil Bastard wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Evil Bastard wrote:
>>
>>> There I was, happy on 256kb/s UBS.
>>>
>>> Now, after having switched to 2Mb/s UBS on Orcon's $10/10GB/mo deal,
>>> I'm whining when big downloads slow down to a paltry 190 kBytes/sec.

>> <crosspost to the monkeyhouse removed>
>>
>> That sounds good. I signed up for it about 3 weeks ago and have to
>> wait until the 10th of this month for changeover..

> I had to reboot my to implement a NAT change and when it came back up,
> it reconnected at 2Mb/s (a week before Orcon said it would happen).
>
> Try rebooting your router. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I took your advice and was pleasantly surprised to see my router reporting
2560 down, 160 up. Thanks.

However, things seemed as sluggish as before so just did a
www.speedtest.co.nz and got:

Speed Location Hosted By
44.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
507.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
115.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
175.0 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
68.4 k United States Nibble Information Systems
Summary
Average (New Zealand): 222.3 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 121.7 kbps

Miserable! Ihug is good, the rest suck. Hang on, I'll do another....

Speed Location Hosted By
111.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
215.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
163.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
195.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
84.4 k United States Nibble Information Systems
Summary
Average (New Zealand): 163.4 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 139.9 kbps

So much for that huh? after 4am, not what I'd call a busy time of day. I
hope Orcon haven't gone and got ahead of themselves again with this big
advertising push and Telecom paying them $158 per sign-up.

Adding broadband customers at the rate of 2,000 a month? I'm all too
familiar with the way Orcon's systems have turned to **** in times of added
load in the past. Those figures above are just crap for a 2MB connection.

Just checked, router reporting 160/2560 up/down.
--
~misfit~

Malcolm

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:20:55 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Evil Bastard wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> <crosspost to the monkeyhouse removed>
>>>
>>> That sounds good. I signed up for it about 3 weeks ago and have to
>>> wait until the 10th of this month for changeover..

>> I had to reboot my to implement a NAT change and when it came back up,
>> it reconnected at 2Mb/s (a week before Orcon said it would happen).
>>
>> Try rebooting your router. You might be pleasantly surprised.

> I took your advice and was pleasantly surprised to see my router reporting
> 2560 down, 160 up. Thanks.
>
> However, things seemed as sluggish as before so just did a
> www.speedtest.co.nz and got:
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 44.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 507.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 115.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 175.0 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 68.4 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 222.3 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 121.7 kbps
>
> Miserable! Ihug is good, the rest suck. Hang on, I'll do another....
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 111.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 215.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 163.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 195.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 84.4 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 163.4 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 139.9 kbps
>
> So much for that huh? after 4am, not what I'd call a busy time of day. I
> hope Orcon haven't gone and got ahead of themselves again with this big
> advertising push and Telecom paying them $158 per sign-up.
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3430492a28,00.html
>
> Adding broadband customers at the rate of 2,000 a month? I'm all too
> familiar with the way Orcon's systems have turned to **** in times of added
> load in the past. Those figures above are just crap for a 2MB connection.
>
> Just checked, router reporting 160/2560 up/down.

Bellsouth 1.5MB/256K connection

Speed Location Hosted By
609.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
328.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
741.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
750.8 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
1066.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems
Summary
Average (New Zealand): 559.8 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 908.6 kbps

--
Cheers
Malcolm

Dave - Dave.net.nz

~misfit~ wrote:
>>>That sounds good. I signed up for it about 3 weeks ago and have to
>>>wait until the 10th of this month for changeover..

>>I had to reboot my to implement a NAT change and when it came back up,
>>it reconnected at 2Mb/s (a week before Orcon said it would happen).

> Those figures above are just crap for a 2MB connection.
>
> Just checked, router reporting 160/2560 up/down.

The 2Mbit may have to be done on the line, and at Orcon, so hold up on
the bitching at the moment eh?!

Give them to the 10th aye? you know, the date they said...

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site - redesign in progress

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:04:18 -0500 when I remembered Malcolm

>Bellsouth 1.5MB/256K connection
>
>Speed Location Hosted By
>609.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>328.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
>741.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>750.8 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
>1066.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems
>Summary
>Average (New Zealand): 559.8 kbps
>Average (Australia): kbps
>Average (International): 908.6 kbps

Xtra 2Mbit

Speed Location Hosted By
854.8 k - Orcon Internet
1009.4 k - Ihug
615.2 k - Orcon Internet
1059.2 k - 1&1 Internet Inc
914.2 k - Nibble Information Systems

Summary
Average (New Zealand): 826.5 kbps
Average (International): 986.7 kbps
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Brendan

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 04:20:55 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Evil Bastard wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> <crosspost to the monkeyhouse removed>
>>>
>>> That sounds good. I signed up for it about 3 weeks ago and have to
>>> wait until the 10th of this month for changeover..

>> I had to reboot my to implement a NAT change and when it came back up,
>> it reconnected at 2Mb/s (a week before Orcon said it would happen).
>>
>> Try rebooting your router. You might be pleasantly surprised.

> I took your advice and was pleasantly surprised to see my router reporting
> 2560 down, 160 up. Thanks.
>
> However, things seemed as sluggish as before so just did a
> www.speedtest.co.nz and got:
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 44.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 507.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 115.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 175.0 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 68.4 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 222.3 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 121.7 kbps
>
> Miserable! Ihug is good, the rest suck. Hang on, I'll do another....
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 111.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 215.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 163.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 195.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 84.4 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 163.4 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 139.9 kbps
>
> So much for that huh? after 4am, not what I'd call a busy time of day. I
> hope Orcon haven't gone and got ahead of themselves again with this big
> advertising push and Telecom paying them $158 per sign-up.
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3430492a28,00.html
>
> Adding broadband customers at the rate of 2,000 a month? I'm all too
> familiar with the way Orcon's systems have turned to **** in times of added
> load in the past. Those figures above are just crap for a 2MB connection.
>
> Just checked, router reporting 160/2560 up/down.

Speed Location Hosted By
1400.6 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
846.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
1448.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
1004.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
872.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems
Summary
Average (New Zealand): 1231.8 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 938.2 kbps

Orcon UBS 2mbit, just now.

--

.... Brendan

#424487 +(3861)- [X]

JstWnnaHveFuN08: do you think i should call a guy friend and talk to him
about my problems? or will he not care?
Thilo: Here's how it works: if a guy helps you with your problems, you're
obligated to give him a blowjob.
JstWnnaHveFuN08: lol thanks that cheered me up
Thilo: No problem. That'll be one blowjob please.

Note: All my comments are copyright 6/10/2005 12:43:13 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.