Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > spoiled by 2Mb/s UBS

spoiled by 2Mb/s UBS

~misfit~

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>> I had to reboot my to implement a NAT change and when it came back
>>> up, it reconnected at 2Mb/s (a week before Orcon said it would
>>> happen).

>> Those figures above are just crap for a 2MB connection.
>>
>> Just checked, router reporting 160/2560 up/down.

> The 2Mbit may have to be done on the line, and at Orcon, so hold up on
> the bitching at the moment eh?!

No smiley? You haven't been reading my posts much if you think that's
bitching. I didn't even mention Ferraris.

> Give them to the 10th aye? you know, the date they said...

Yeah. However, my "anniversary" is the 5th so I was a little surprised at
being given a RFS date of the 10th. Maybe because last time they gave me an
RFS date of the 5th and it didn't happen until the 10th.

Anyway, all good now, or as good as it gets:

Speed Location Hosted By
1498.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
1181.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
1507.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
347.1 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
642.2 k United States Nibble Information Systems
Summary
Average (New Zealand): 1395.5 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 494.6 kbps

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Malcolm wrote:
> Bellsouth 1.5MB/256K connection
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 609.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 328.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 741.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 750.8 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 1066.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 559.8 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 908.6 kbps

Bit different from the USA end huh?

Good to see you.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> T'was the Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:04:18 -0500 when I remembered Malcolm
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>> Bellsouth 1.5MB/256K connection
>>
>> Speed Location Hosted By
>> 609.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>> 328.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
>> 741.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>> 750.8 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
>> 1066.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems
>> Summary
>> Average (New Zealand): 559.8 kbps
>> Average (Australia): kbps
>> Average (International): 908.6 kbps

> Xtra 2Mbit
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 854.8 k - Orcon Internet
> 1009.4 k - Ihug
> 615.2 k - Orcon Internet
> 1059.2 k - 1&1 Internet Inc
> 914.2 k - Nibble Information Systems
>
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 826.5 kbps
> Average (International): 986.7 kbps

That's good international.
--
~misfit~

Evil Bastard

Dave Doe wrote:
> you'll get bored with a pathetic 250KB soon enough.

I know that, and you know that.

But here's hoping that by the time my boredom level reaches
'excruciation', there'll be a faster offering in the market.

--
Cheers
EB

Dave - Dave.net.nz

~misfit~ wrote:
>>The 2Mbit may have to be done on the line, and at Orcon, so hold up on
>>the bitching at the moment eh?!

> No smiley? You haven't been reading my posts much if you think that's
> bitching. I didn't even mention Ferraris.

smiley intended... stressful morning.

>>Give them to the 10th aye? you know, the date they said...

> Yeah. However, my "anniversary" is the 5th so I was a little surprised at
> being given a RFS date of the 10th. Maybe because last time they gave me an
> RFS date of the 5th and it didn't happen until the 10th.
>
> Anyway, all good now, or as good as it gets:

> Average (New Zealand): 1395.5 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 494.6 kbps

heh, you should ring them and say that you're only going to pay 3/4 of
your national, and 1/4 of your intl bill until you get the full speed...
hell, you're not even getting 2mbit inside their own network.

I mean the 2560 line speed is meant to cover overheads to give you
~2Mbit usable, but at the moment you're only getting ~1.5 usable, and
thats only within their own network.

--
http://dave.net.nz - my site.
http://www.dave.net.nz/csb/id37.htm <- Blog.

~misfit~

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> The 2Mbit may have to be done on the line, and at Orcon, so hold up
>>> on the bitching at the moment eh?!

>> No smiley? You haven't been reading my posts much if you think that's
>> bitching. I didn't even mention Ferraris.

> smiley intended... stressful morning.

My condolences. I saw another couple of your posts after and realised you
may be having a bad day.

>>> Give them to the 10th aye? you know, the date they said...

>> Yeah. However, my "anniversary" is the 5th so I was a little
>> surprised at being given a RFS date of the 10th. Maybe because last
>> time they gave me an RFS date of the 5th and it didn't happen until
>> the 10th. Anyway, all good now, or as good as it gets:

>> Average (New Zealand): 1395.5 kbps
>> Average (Australia): kbps
>> Average (International): 494.6 kbps

> heh, you should ring them and say that you're only going to pay 3/4 of
> your national, and 1/4 of your intl bill until you get the full
> speed... hell, you're not even getting 2mbit inside their own network.

Sucks does it not? However, the wording of the ToS etc is so nebulous that I
couldn't get away with not paying them if I only got 56k three days a week.
They'd say it's "best effort" or "outside of their network".

> I mean the 2560 line speed is meant to cover overheads to give you
> ~2Mbit usable, but at the moment you're only getting ~1.5 usable, and
> thats only within their own network.

Yep, certainly a case of not getting what's advertised. I *was* surprised at
the 160 up though. LOL, how do you test that?

Take care,
--
~misfit~

SNOman

~misfit~ wrote:
> Evil Bastard wrote:
>
>>~misfit~ wrote:

>>><crosspost to the monkeyhouse removed>
>>>
>>>That sounds good. I signed up for it about 3 weeks ago and have to
>>>wait until the 10th of this month for changeover..

>>I had to reboot my to implement a NAT change and when it came back up,
>>it reconnected at 2Mb/s (a week before Orcon said it would happen).
>>
>>Try rebooting your router. You might be pleasantly surprised.

> I took your advice and was pleasantly surprised to see my router reporting
> 2560 down, 160 up. Thanks.
>
> However, things seemed as sluggish as before so just did a
> www.speedtest.co.nz and got:
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 44.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 507.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 115.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 175.0 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 68.4 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 222.3 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 121.7 kbps
>
> Miserable! Ihug is good, the rest suck. Hang on, I'll do another....
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 111.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 215.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 163.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 195.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 84.4 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 163.4 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 139.9 kbps
>
> So much for that huh? after 4am, not what I'd call a busy time of day. I
> hope Orcon haven't gone and got ahead of themselves again with this big
> advertising push and Telecom paying them $158 per sign-up.
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3430492a28,00.html
>
> Adding broadband customers at the rate of 2,000 a month? I'm all too
> familiar with the way Orcon's systems have turned to **** in times of added
> load in the past. Those figures above are just crap for a 2MB connection.
>
> Just checked, router reporting 160/2560 up/down.

On a 1MB fibre connection with IHUG

Speed Location Hosted By
4933.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
1920.8 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
87660.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
1239.0 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
1271.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems
Summary
Average (New Zealand): 31504.7 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 1255.2 kbps

~misfit~

SNOman wrote:
> On a 1MB fibre connection with IHUG
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 4933.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 1920.8 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 87660.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 1239.0 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 1271.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 31504.7 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 1255.2 kbps

Bloody hell! I want one of those.

That second Orcon one is either an anomoly or bloody amazing!
--
~misfit~

SNOman

~misfit~ wrote:
> SNOman wrote:
>
>>On a 1MB fibre connection with IHUG
>>
>>Speed Location Hosted By
>>4933.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>>1920.8 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
>>87660.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>>1239.0 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
>>1271.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems
>>Summary
>>Average (New Zealand): 31504.7 kbps
>>Average (Australia): kbps
>>Average (International): 1255.2 kbps
>>

> Bloody hell! I want one of those.
>
> That second Orcon one is either an anomoly or bloody amazing!

Here's another test run again now

Speed Location Hosted By
16854.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
6530.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
87660.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
1323.7 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
1218.8 k United States Nibble Information Systems
Summary
Average (New Zealand): 37015.1 kbps
Average (Australia): kbps
Average (International): 1271.2 kbps

and it's a bit faster this time

~misfit~

SNOman wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> SNOman wrote:
>>
>>> On a 1MB fibre connection with IHUG
>>>
>>> Speed Location Hosted By
>>> 4933.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>>> 1920.8 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
>>> 87660.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
>>> 1239.0 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
>>> 1271.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems
>>> Summary
>>> Average (New Zealand): 31504.7 kbps
>>> Average (Australia): kbps
>>> Average (International): 1255.2 kbps
>>>

>> Bloody hell! I want one of those.
>>
>> That second Orcon one is either an anomoly or bloody amazing!

> Here's another test run again now
>
> Speed Location Hosted By
> 16854.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 6530.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
> 87660.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
> 1323.7 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
> 1218.8 k United States Nibble Information Systems
> Summary
> Average (New Zealand): 37015.1 kbps
> Average (Australia): kbps
> Average (International): 1271.2 kbps
>
> and it's a bit faster this time

It's about now, if I was having a bad day, that I'd be bringing the
legitimacy of your birth into question.
--
~misfit~