Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Check path length in Windows hierarchy?

Check path length in Windows hierarchy?

Harry

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> T'was the Thu, 06 Oct 2005 22:22:25 +1000 when I remembered Harry
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>The sort of person who has a problem with path lengths isn't going
>>to be your average Excel user. They are going to be a lot closer to
>>the software and hardware than that.

> That's not true. I've had files written to my computer by programs
> that have had massive names. Then when I tried to copy those files to
> a CD, I get problems.
>
> This is a problem "average Excel users" face.

So did you have any trouble figuring out what their names were?
What error message did you get?

Harry

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Harry wrote:
>> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>>The OP is using windows, even if he didn't already have an nntp client
>>>setup, MS provide a handy one called Outlook Express(which the OP was
>>>using)...

>> But the OP had to "type a question".
>> Though the OP might apparently loath using a command-line, like having
>> to type something, the OP was perfectly prepared to open up OE
>> and type something!
>>
>> The OP might be perfectly prepared to learn how to use Excel, and perhaps
>> how to use the English language, but the OP is not prepared to learn
>> relatively simpel commands.
>>
>> What is the difference between typing a macro in a spreadsheet and
>> typing a command in a window?

> the "command in a window" that he was offered meant he had to download
> some stuff, the macro in excell he didn't.

What if he didn't have excelll?

>>>The way you describe it, he would also have to install and configure a
>>>browser before using your solution.

>> Huh?

> thought that might go over your head.

Why a browser? Haven't you heard of ftp or cdroms?

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sat, 08 Oct 2005 00:46:18 +1000 when I remembered Harry

>> This is a problem "average Excel users" face.

>So did you have any trouble figuring out what their names were?
>What error message did you get?

I can't remember now, short of just copying again and again fixing
every little problem it came across.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.