Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Check path length in Windows hierarchy?

Check path length in Windows hierarchy?

Alan

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

> Gee that is really simple. Clever of MS to provide such a powerful
> and user-friendly tool! So simple!

Indeed - I totally agree.

In my opinion Excel is one of the reasons that so few businesses will
move away from MS Windows in the foreseeable future, simply because
there is nothing to compare with it's flexibility and power.

Sure, if you just want a flashy calculator, you can use Open Office or
Star Office or something, but they don't come near the power of
Excel's VBA object model / capabilities.

Personally, I am all for the Linux / OSS model - I love that it gives
us so much choice and mostly for free compared to the extortionate
prices for Office.

However, in most business environments Excel and Access rule for the
actual end users who need to use the business data stored in the
enterprise DBs and there is no marginal cash cost to using them since
they are already there.

> BTW you can get a copy of gawk.exe, on its own, from nearly
> everywhere on the internet. You could also do the same thing with
> perl.exe, viz:
>
> dir /b/s | perl -ne 'print $_ if length($_) > 255;'

Personally, I do not know anyone who would have access to gawk.exe or
Perl.exe outside of software developers etc. I'm sure some people do,
but at the same time I cannot think of anyone at any of my clients who
*doesn't* have excel available.

At the end of the day, the OP needs a solution, and it appears that
this gives them one that they can implement quickly, easily, and
safely.

> Doing it in excel is lame.

{Shrug}

Took me about 3 mins to do when I tried it and that's *all* that
really matters in the end isn't it?

What would be the benefit of spending 15 mins finding, downloading,
installing (maybe), and working out how to use, say, perl or gawk,
when they can do the above in 5 mins, get the answer they need, and
move on to something else that needs to be done.

The OP wanted a solution that works for them and that does I believe.

Plus, no need to search for and download software that might have
nasties in it either.

Each to his own.

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address

Harry

Alan wrote:

> "Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Gee that is really simple. Clever of MS to provide such a powerful
>> and user-friendly tool! So simple!
>>

> Indeed - I totally agree.
>
> In my opinion Excel is one of the reasons that so few businesses will
> move away from MS Windows in the foreseeable future, simply because
> there is nothing to compare with it's flexibility and power.
>
> Sure, if you just want a flashy calculator, you can use Open Office or
> Star Office or something, but they don't come near the power of
> Excel's VBA object model / capabilities.
>
> Personally, I am all for the Linux / OSS model - I love that it gives
> us so much choice and mostly for free compared to the extortionate
> prices for Office.
>
> However, in most business environments Excel and Access rule for the
> actual end users who need to use the business data stored in the
> enterprise DBs and there is no marginal cash cost to using them since
> they are already there.
>

>> BTW you can get a copy of gawk.exe, on its own, from nearly
>> everywhere on the internet. You could also do the same thing with
>> perl.exe, viz:
>>
>> dir /b/s | perl -ne 'print $_ if length($_) > 255;'
>>

> Personally, I do not know anyone who would have access to gawk.exe or
> Perl.exe outside of software developers etc. I'm sure some people do,
> but at the same time I cannot think of anyone at any of my clients who
> *doesn't* have excel available.
>
> At the end of the day, the OP needs a solution, and it appears that
> this gives them one that they can implement quickly, easily, and
> safely.
>

>> Doing it in excel is lame.
>>

> {Shrug}
>
> Took me about 3 mins to do when I tried it and that's *all* that
> really matters in the end isn't it?

It took me as long as it took to type the answer. About 10 seconds.

> What would be the benefit of spending 15 mins finding, downloading,
> installing (maybe), and working out how to use, say, perl or gawk,
> when they can do the above in 5 mins, get the answer they need, and
> move on to something else that needs to be done.

Because the next time it will be a lot faster and easier.

The sort of person who has a problem with path lengths isn't going
to be your average Excel user. They are going to be a lot closer to
the software and hardware than that. Therefore they should equip themselves
with some tools that do the job more quickerly and more better (in MS-speak).

> The OP wanted a solution that works for them and that does I believe.

Excel is so fantastic at doing the job that the OP had to ask in
a newsgroup how to do it! LOL.

> Plus, no need to search for and download software that might have
> nasties in it either.

Sure! Only had to download and setup nntp client software and post
a question in a newsgroup to get the solution. LOL!

> Each to his own.

Adam

On 05 Oct 2005 21:55:51 GMT, Mark C wrote:

>"KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:di0kl6$987$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> "Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> find / | awk 'length($0}>255{print $0}'

>> Thanks Harry.
>> What would I have to do to run this on a Windows XP SP2 PC?
>> Brian Tozer

>dir /b/s | gawk "length($0}>255{print $0}"
>
>Get gawk here:
>http://unxutils.sourceforge.net

Out of interest, I downloaded the utils and ran the gawk.exe from a
DOS shell (in the wbin directory, Brian!).

Turns out you have a typo:

dir /b/s | gawk "length($0)>255{print $0}"

The curly brace after the first $0 should be a plain old right
bracket.

I did a test using:

dir c:\ /b/s | gawk "length($0)>100{print $0}"

and it spewed out thousands of them .. at great speed!

Adam.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Harry wrote:
>>Plus, no need to search for and download software that might have
>>nasties in it either.

> Sure! Only had to download and setup nntp client software and post
> a question in a newsgroup to get the solution. LOL!

The OP is using windows, even if he didn't already have an nntp client
setup, MS provide a handy one called Outlook Express(which the OP was
using)...

The way you describe it, he would also have to install and configure a
browser before using your solution.

--
http://dave.net.nz - my site.
http://www.dave.net.nz/csb/id37.htm <- Blog.

Alan

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

> It took me as long as it took to type the answer. About 10 seconds.

But it would have taken the OP much longer to find it and get it
working - your focus is on you, not the OP.

> The sort of person who has a problem with path lengths isn't going
> to be your average Excel user. They are going to be a lot closer to
> the software and hardware than that. Therefore they should equip
> themselves with some tools that do the job more quickerly and more
> better (in MS-speak).

It is a very common issue for standard users when writing to CD if
they use the (Joliet?) standard which restricts total path length for,
I guess, compatibility.

I'm not suggesting that *you* would want to use excel, but if you
walk into an office and try to get the users to use command line
tools, you'll quickly find it ain't gonna happen. They will use the
tools they are already familar with and that means MS Office.

I'm done with this unless the OP has further queries.

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address

Harry

Alan wrote:

> "Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> It took me as long as it took to type the answer. About 10 seconds.
>>

> But it would have taken the OP much longer to find it and get it
> working - your focus is on you, not the OP.
>

>> The sort of person who has a problem with path lengths isn't going
>> to be your average Excel user. They are going to be a lot closer to
>> the software and hardware than that. Therefore they should equip
>> themselves with some tools that do the job more quickerly and more
>> better (in MS-speak).
>>

> It is a very common issue for standard users when writing to CD if
> they use the (Joliet?) standard which restricts total path length for,
> I guess, compatibility.
>
> I'm not suggesting that *you* would want to use excel, but if you
> walk into an office and try to get the users to use command line
> tools, you'll quickly find it ain't gonna happen. They will use the
> tools they are already familar with and that means MS Office.
>

> I'm done with this unless the OP has further queries.

Oh really!?

Harry

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Harry wrote:
>>>Plus, no need to search for and download software that might have
>>>nasties in it either.

>> Sure! Only had to download and setup nntp client software and post
>> a question in a newsgroup to get the solution. LOL!

> The OP is using windows, even if he didn't already have an nntp client
> setup, MS provide a handy one called Outlook Express(which the OP was
> using)...

But the OP had to "type a question".
Though the OP might apparently loath using a command-line, like having
to type something, the OP was perfectly prepared to open up OE
and type something!

The OP might be perfectly prepared to learn how to use Excel, and perhaps
how to use the English language, but the OP is not prepared to learn
relatively simpel commands.

What is the difference between typing a macro in a spreadsheet and
typing a command in a window?

> The way you describe it, he would also have to install and configure a
> browser before using your solution.

Huh?

Harry

Adam wrote:

> On 05 Oct 2005 21:55:51 GMT, Mark C wrote:
>
>>"KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:di0kl6$987$(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>> "Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks Harry.
>>> What would I have to do to run this on a Windows XP SP2 PC?
>>> Brian Tozer

>>dir /b/s | gawk "length($0}>255{print $0}"
>>
>>Get gawk here:
>>http://unxutils.sourceforge.net

> Out of interest, I downloaded the utils and ran the gawk.exe from a
> DOS shell (in the wbin directory, Brian!).
>
> Turns out you have a typo:
>
> dir /b/s | gawk "length($0)>255{print $0}"
>
> The curly brace after the first $0 should be a plain old right
> bracket.

Quite right! My very first typo. Congratulations.

> I did a test using:
>
> dir c:\ /b/s | gawk "length($0)>100{print $0}"
>
> and it spewed out thousands of them .. at great speed!

That wassn't very difficult was it?
Or perhaps opening up Excel and typing in a whole lot of
formulae would be easier?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Harry wrote:
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>>Sure! Only had to download and setup nntp client software and post
>>>a question in a newsgroup to get the solution. LOL!

>>The OP is using windows, even if he didn't already have an nntp client
>>setup, MS provide a handy one called Outlook Express(which the OP was
>>using)...

> But the OP had to "type a question".
> Though the OP might apparently loath using a command-line, like having
> to type something, the OP was perfectly prepared to open up OE
> and type something!
>
> The OP might be perfectly prepared to learn how to use Excel, and perhaps
> how to use the English language, but the OP is not prepared to learn
> relatively simpel commands.
>
> What is the difference between typing a macro in a spreadsheet and
> typing a command in a window?

the "command in a window" that he was offered meant he had to download
some stuff, the macro in excell he didn't.

>>The way you describe it, he would also have to install and configure a
>>browser before using your solution.

> Huh?

thought that might go over your head.

--
http://dave.net.nz - my site.
http://www.dave.net.nz/csb/id37.htm <- Blog.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Thu, 06 Oct 2005 22:22:25 +1000 when I remembered Harry

>The sort of person who has a problem with path lengths isn't going
>to be your average Excel user. They are going to be a lot closer to
>the software and hardware than that.

That's not true. I've had files written to my computer by programs
that have had massive names. Then when I tried to copy those files to
a CD, I get problems.

This is a problem "average Excel users" face.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.