Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Media player - any experiences please

Media player - any experiences please

Daniel

Hi,

Looking at either of the following units as a HDD media player. I'm not
after record capability just playback.

* http://www.dtsinfo.co.kr/en/product/hd3510e.htm
- @ Ascent here:- http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=336904

* http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg35.htm#spec
- @ Ascent here:- http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=339051

The units are small enough that I can simply pick them up and move them
to the PC from where I can transfer media when I need to - they're
effectively external HDD's with media playback capability.

The DTS looks more attractive to me since it currently takes up to a
200GB 3.5" IDE HDD, although, you can still fit a lot of
MP4/DivX/XViD/MP3/OGG etc files on a 120GB drive.

Anyone had any experiences with these?

One thing I'd like to know is how noisy these things can get.

Thanks in advance.

PC

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dhs80b$v7e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Looking at either of the following units as a HDD media player. I'm not
> after record capability just playback.
>
> * http://www.dtsinfo.co.kr/en/product/hd3510e.htm
> - @ Ascent here:- http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=336904
>
> * http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg35.htm#spec
> - @ Ascent here:- http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=339051
>
> The units are small enough that I can simply pick them up and move them to
> the PC from where I can transfer media when I need to - they're
> effectively external HDD's with media playback capability.
>
> The DTS looks more attractive to me since it currently takes up to a 200GB
> 3.5" IDE HDD, although, you can still fit a lot of MP4/DivX/XViD/MP3/OGG
> etc files on a 120GB drive.
>
> Anyone had any experiences with these?
>
> One thing I'd like to know is how noisy these things can get.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Sorry haven't seen/handled either but note the Airleinktek one has an 10/100
ethernet port which would also be handy as an additional i/o method.

What would interest me is which one would interface with my digital camera
to use as portable storage while on a trip.

Cheers
Paul.

Rob J

In article <o0D0f.16026$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dhs80b$v7e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Looking at either of the following units as a HDD media player. I'm not
> > after record capability just playback.
> >
> > * http://www.dtsinfo.co.kr/en/product/hd3510e.htm
> > - @ Ascent here:- http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=336904
> >
> > * http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg35.htm#spec
> > - @ Ascent here:- http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=339051
> >
> > The units are small enough that I can simply pick them up and move them to
> > the PC from where I can transfer media when I need to - they're
> > effectively external HDD's with media playback capability.
> >
> > The DTS looks more attractive to me since it currently takes up to a 200GB
> > 3.5" IDE HDD, although, you can still fit a lot of MP4/DivX/XViD/MP3/OGG
> > etc files on a 120GB drive.
> >
> > Anyone had any experiences with these?
> >
> > One thing I'd like to know is how noisy these things can get.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> Daniel
>
> Sorry haven't seen/handled either but note the Airleinktek one has an 10/100
> ethernet port which would also be handy as an additional i/o method.
>
> What would interest me is which one would interface with my digital camera
> to use as portable storage while on a trip.

Best portable storage for a digital camera is the Steno standalone CD
burner.

Rob J

In article <o0D0f.16026$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dhs80b$v7e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Looking at either of the following units as a HDD media player. I'm not
> > after record capability just playback.
> >
> > * http://www.dtsinfo.co.kr/en/product/hd3510e.htm
> > - @ Ascent here:- http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=336904
> >
> > * http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg35.htm#spec
> > - @ Ascent here:- http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=339051
> >
> > The units are small enough that I can simply pick them up and move them to
> > the PC from where I can transfer media when I need to - they're
> > effectively external HDD's with media playback capability.
> >
> > The DTS looks more attractive to me since it currently takes up to a 200GB
> > 3.5" IDE HDD, although, you can still fit a lot of MP4/DivX/XViD/MP3/OGG
> > etc files on a 120GB drive.
> >
> > Anyone had any experiences with these?
> >
> > One thing I'd like to know is how noisy these things can get.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> Daniel
>
> Sorry haven't seen/handled either but note the Airleinktek one has an 10/100
> ethernet port which would also be handy as an additional i/o method.
>
> What would interest me is which one would interface with my digital camera
> to use as portable storage while on a trip.

You can store photos on these units but they are not battery powerable.

Personally I would go with a standalone CD burner like the Disk Steno
which although more expensive can be run on battery and you can make
more than one copy of your stuff for backup purposes
..

Daniel

PC wrote:
<snip>

> What would interest me is which one would interface with my digital camera
> to use as portable storage while on a trip.
>
> Cheers
> Paul.

Hey Paul,

Not sure if that would work unfortunately. Since both your digital
camera and the media player are probably slave-only devices (i.e. you
need a master to manage the connection and any transactions).

Cheers.

XP

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:38:34 +1300, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Looking at either of the following units as a HDD media player. I'm not
>after record capability just playback.
>
>* http://www.dtsinfo.co.kr/en/product/hd3510e.htm
>- @ Ascent here:- http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=336904
>
>* http://www.airlinktek.com/english/prod_mg35.htm#spec
>- @ Ascent here:- http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=339051
>
>The units are small enough that I can simply pick them up and move them
>to the PC from where I can transfer media when I need to - they're
>effectively external HDD's with media playback capability.
>
>The DTS looks more attractive to me since it currently takes up to a
>200GB 3.5" IDE HDD, although, you can still fit a lot of
>MP4/DivX/XViD/MP3/OGG etc files on a 120GB drive.
>
>Anyone had any experiences with these?
>
>One thing I'd like to know is how noisy these things can get.
>
>Thanks in advance.

There are Stack of Newer Units coming out like the ones from MSI and Creative,
so widen you horizons, as at present I think you are looking at Old stuff.

Do not get one with a Organic Led Display as these only have a 2 year life
span..