Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > need linux help please

need linux help please

Adam

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:01:43 GMT, MarkH wrote:

>I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should just
>work right from the start.

Hear hear to that. In at least half the recent distros I tried I just
couldn't find an *easy* way of creating an application icon or an item
in a menu bar for something I'd just managed to install.

In some cases, I had to dig around for obscure ini files in [even
more] obscure directories.

Adam.

Robert Cooze

Adam wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:01:43 GMT, MarkH wrote:
>

>>I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should just
>>work right from the start.

> Hear hear to that. In at least half the recent distros I tried I just
> couldn't find an *easy* way of creating an application icon or an item
> in a menu bar for something I'd just managed to install.
>
> In some cases, I had to dig around for obscure ini files in [even
> more] obscure directories.
>
> Adam.

Now going back to my Amiga Days and early windows days alot of the share
ware free ware alpha & beta stuff the install was dodgy ysaly un zip
some stuff here and there and creat some sort of shortcut to a menu so
you could launch it. Now back in 2005 Using win XP and SlacWare some of
my fav software when I install it I install no shortcuts to any where
and make them my self! I am using Fluxbox as my main window manager on
Slackware the simple menu system can be edited at any time with any
editor I have on this system. As most stuff I install is installed from
sorce I usaly know where the binary or script I need to launch is
located. But I think I am from the old school. A while ago on an early
version Of KDE I had know idear on how to even edit the menu on KDE at
all.

MarkH

shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I guess it depends whether you want to download another iso and
> install again each time another knoppix version comes out. Knoppix has
> a lot of sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and they don't always stay
> that synchronous.
> Ubuntu is a distro with its own repositaries.
> cdrdao is disk at once, its only a suggested dependency for k3b. its
> in the universe repositary

Where do I find this repositary?

> kpackage is in there too.
> Kubuntu 5.04 is the first version of this KDE in Ubuntu so I'd expect
> some rough edges.
> But if you have 5.04 you just add the repositary line and upgrade to
> 5.10. I learned a lot about configuring Debian from knoppix, you can
> probably take a few of the sources.list lines from knoppix and use
> them in Ubuntu to get the AV codecs from Christian Marillats archive.

I have installed Synaptic and it has several better features not found in
Kynaptic, hopefully they will improve Kynaptic for 5.10. For example
Synaptic makes it easy to see which repositaries are being used and to add
new ones, Kynaptic has nothing like that. Kynaptic also lacks descriptions
of the packages unless you hover the pointer over them.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Chris Hope

Adam wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:01:43 GMT, MarkH wrote:
>
>>I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should
>>just work right from the start.

> Hear hear to that. In at least half the recent distros I tried I just
> couldn't find an *easy* way of creating an application icon or an item
> in a menu bar for something I'd just managed to install.
>
> In some cases, I had to dig around for obscure ini files in [even
> more] obscure directories.

I think they added a GUI menu editor to the most recent version of Gnome
(which I'm assuming is what will be in Ubuntu 5.10). KDE already has an
easy to use menu editor.

shannon

MarkH wrote:
> shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>I guess it depends whether you want to download another iso and
>>install again each time another knoppix version comes out. Knoppix has
>>a lot of sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and they don't always stay
>>that synchronous.
>>Ubuntu is a distro with its own repositaries.
>>cdrdao is disk at once, its only a suggested dependency for k3b. its
>>in the universe repositary

> Where do I find this repositary?
>

>>kpackage is in there too.
>>Kubuntu 5.04 is the first version of this KDE in Ubuntu so I'd expect
>>some rough edges.
>>But if you have 5.04 you just add the repositary line and upgrade to
>>5.10. I learned a lot about configuring Debian from knoppix, you can
>>probably take a few of the sources.list lines from knoppix and use
>>them in Ubuntu to get the AV codecs from Christian Marillats archive.

> I have installed Synaptic and it has several better features not found in
> Kynaptic, hopefully they will improve Kynaptic for 5.10. For example
> Synaptic makes it easy to see which repositaries are being used and to add
> new ones, Kynaptic has nothing like that. Kynaptic also lacks descriptions
> of the packages unless you hover the pointer over them.

Yeah I've never seen kynaptic before, I used to use aptitude from the
terminal or console, but I really like synaptic.
I guess they built it for kubuntu so kubuntu wouldn't need gnome gtk
etc, its a derivative distribution with a goal to use only kde from the
ubuntu archive.

Adding repositaries is covered here
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositoriesHowto

one new one that isn't yet listed in the wiki is the official backports

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-backports main universe
multiverse restricted

which probably has some codecs

Ubuntu has a lot of useful online support
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation
http://ubuntuguide.org/

terry

me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:
> Hi all
> Decided to have a go with linux on a spare machine with looking to the
> future of getting all (5) machines on to the same OS.

> 3/more pi33ed off installed lycoris wrote down the passwords this time
> same bleeping thing happens, it loads up and gets to the login screen
> and wont let me log in.
>

> thanks

diffent name same me
me feeling clever at the moment am writing this in lycoris 2 more
installs plus 3 restarts but all is working (big grin)
thanks for the help all

Adam

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 08:32:34 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

>Adam wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:01:43 GMT, MarkH wrote:
>>
>>>I think that the common tasks that people use a computer for should
>>>just work right from the start.

>> Hear hear to that. In at least half the recent distros I tried I just
>> couldn't find an *easy* way of creating an application icon or an item
>> in a menu bar for something I'd just managed to install.
>>
>> In some cases, I had to dig around for obscure ini files in [even
>> more] obscure directories.

>I think they added a GUI menu editor to the most recent version of Gnome
>(which I'm assuming is what will be in Ubuntu 5.10). KDE already has an
>easy to use menu editor.

Nothing quite as easy as dragging and dropping an icon though <??>.

Adam .

MarkH

MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bk70f.76856$(E-Mail Removed):

I have now wiped the drive with Kubuntu and have installed Simply Mepis
3.3.1.1 instead.

My first impression is very positive.

Mepis is another Debian based distro with the KDE GUI.

Video and MP3 work from the start, this is very good (many Linux distros do
not provide working multimedia in the install).

K3b works.

Both Konquerer and Firefox are installed as standard.

Both Synaptic and KPackage are installed as standard.

The Gimp 2.2 comes standard.

I will have to google for a list of good repositories for updating and
adding packages, but everything looks good at the moment.

So my opinion is that Knoppix 3.9 and Mepis 3.3.1.1 are good, Kubuntu 5.04
sucks but I have yet to try Kubuntu 5.10.

For an RPM based distro I quite like SUSE 9.3 as it installs easily and
detects hardware well, unfortunately I would have to knock some marks off
for the Multimedia not working initially (you need to uninstall xine and
xmms and mplayer, add the packman source and then add the removed stuff
back in).

My reason for posting this info is that I am very new to Linux and I
believe that there are many others reading this group that are in the same
position. Hopefully some of you may find my observations helpful.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

GraB

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:40:56 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:bk70f.76856$(E-Mail Removed) :
>

>I have now wiped the drive with Kubuntu and have installed Simply Mepis
>3.3.1.1 instead.
>
>My first impression is very positive.
>
>Mepis is another Debian based distro with the KDE GUI.
>
>Video and MP3 work from the start, this is very good (many Linux distros do
>not provide working multimedia in the install).
>
>K3b works.
>
>Both Konquerer and Firefox are installed as standard.
>
>Both Synaptic and KPackage are installed as standard.
>
>The Gimp 2.2 comes standard.
>
>I will have to google for a list of good repositories for updating and
>adding packages, but everything looks good at the moment.
>
>So my opinion is that Knoppix 3.9 and Mepis 3.3.1.1 are good, Kubuntu 5.04
>sucks but I have yet to try Kubuntu 5.10.
>
>For an RPM based distro I quite like SUSE 9.3 as it installs easily and
>detects hardware well, unfortunately I would have to knock some marks off
>for the Multimedia not working initially (you need to uninstall xine and
>xmms and mplayer, add the packman source and then add the removed stuff
>back in).
>

>My reason for posting this info is that I am very new to Linux and I
>believe that there are many others reading this group that are in the same
>position. Hopefully some of you may find my observations helpful.

Good to hear your impressions. I tried the Simply Mepis live CD and
found that when playing MP3s, etc, the sound was very noisy and
distorted. IIRMC you could select 2.4 or 2.6 kernel on bootup but
neither made any difference. Perhaps it just didn't like my
soundcard, SoundBlaster Ensonique, though no other distro has had
problems with it.

Adam

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:40:56 GMT, MarkH wrote:

>MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:bk70f.76856$(E-Mail Removed) :
>

>I have now wiped the drive with Kubuntu and have installed Simply Mepis
>3.3.1.1 instead.
>
>My first impression is very positive.

... snip ...

>My reason for posting this info is that I am very new to Linux and I
>believe that there are many others reading this group that are in the same
>position. Hopefully some of you may find my observations helpful.

Yep - thanks. Always glad to have other people go through the hoops
for me )

I only put KDE on over the top of Gnome on my Ubuntu 5.04. I wasn't
that impressed, for some reason - I preferred Gnome. I feel KDE
suffers a bit from the "Windows" syndrome - too many different ways of
doing the same basic things, where just one (intuitive) way would do.

Interested to hear how you get on with Mepis - I may give it a whirl.

Adam.