Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Market Dominance and the "You Will" Effect

Market Dominance and the "You Will" Effect

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I recently received an e-mail from a friend linking to a Web article
about some innovative use of Intel's new 64-bit multicore processors in
multimedia work. I wrote back to point out that AMD were the ones to
invent the x86-64 architecture, Intel just copied it. Up until then, he
had been under the impression that the AMD version of 64-bit was in some
way inferior to the Intel version, having fewer registers or something.

This, of course, is just another instance of the well-known phenomenon
where the market leader in some field adopts an innovation originally
pioneered by a smaller player, and popularizes it to the extent that
they, not the pioneer, get credited with actually inventing the idea.
Like when everybody thinks Microsoft invented the GUI, and TrueType, and
WYSIWYG document layout, the office suite, and who knows, even the Web
browser by now.

A man named James Whistler once made a comment to Oscar Wilde that was
witty enough that the latter responded "I wish I'd said that". To which
Whistler replied "You will, Oscar, you will"
<http://www.askoxford.com/pressroom/archive/saidthat/>. Showing that the
same phenomenon was already known in the literary field over a century
ago...

Stu Fleming

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Like when everybody thinks Microsoft invented the GUI, and TrueType, and
> WYSIWYG document layout, the office suite, and who knows, even the Web
> browser by now.

Probably VAX/VMS is as far back as you could go in that line of
reasoning, through Dave Cutler...

Name one, true, entirely Microsoft-initiated innovation.

Peter

Stu Fleming wrote:

> Name one, true, entirely Microsoft-initiated innovation.

yes -> Clippy, that useless annoying paper clip !

http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml

Peter

bok

Stu Fleming wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Like when everybody thinks Microsoft invented the GUI, and TrueType,
>> and WYSIWYG document layout, the office suite, and who knows, even the
>> Web browser by now.

> Probably VAX/VMS is as far back as you could go in that line of
> reasoning, through Dave Cutler...
>
> Name one, true, entirely Microsoft-initiated innovation.

BSOD

Nathan Mercer

bok wrote:
>>> Like when everybody thinks Microsoft invented the GUI, and TrueType,
>>> and WYSIWYG document layout, the office suite, and who knows, even
>>> the Web browser by now.

>> Probably VAX/VMS is as far back as you could go in that line of
>> reasoning, through Dave Cutler...
>>
>> Name one, true, entirely Microsoft-initiated innovation.

> BSOD

Kernel panic's were around long before Windows was invented

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Probably VAX/VMS is as far back as you could go in that line of
>>> reasoning, through Dave Cutler...
>>>
>>> Name one, true, entirely Microsoft-initiated innovation.

>> BSOD

>Kernel panic's were around long before Windows was invented

See, the "You Will" effect strikes again.

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Kernel panic's were around long before Windows was invented

.... but it was Microsoft who put them on every desktop. <g>

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"