Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Change name in XP SP2

Change name in XP SP2

KiwiBrian

After an installation of XP SP2 the system has a default name of 'test' that
it often offers me when I am installing new programs.
How can I change this to "Brian" (without the quotes)?
TIA
Brian Tozer

Harry

KiwiBrian wrote:

> After an installation of XP SP2 the system has a default name of 'test'
> that it often offers me when I am installing new programs.
> How can I change this to "Brian" (without the quotes)?

Fire up regedit and search for all instances of 'test' and change
the them to 'Brian'. But be careful you dont change things such
as 'latest', or the wrong instances of 'test'.
You will need to scrap files such as test.pwl, test.wab etc, but new
ones will get created automatically.

Craig Whitmore

> Fire up regedit and search for all instances of 'test' and change
> the them to 'Brian'. But be careful you dont change things such
> as 'latest', or the wrong instances of 'test'.
> You will need to scrap files such as test.pwl, test.wab etc, but new
> ones will get created automatically.

I would think going into the System Control Panel and into the Computer Name
tag would be alot easier

Thanks
Craig

Bok

Craig Whitmore wrote:
>>Fire up regedit and search for all instances of 'test' and change
>>the them to 'Brian'. But be careful you dont change things such
>>as 'latest', or the wrong instances of 'test'.
>>You will need to scrap files such as test.pwl, test.wab etc, but new
>>ones will get created automatically.
>>

> I would think going into the System Control Panel and into the Computer Name
> tag would be alot easier

From the OP's description I gathered he needs to changed the
'Registered Owner' not the computer name. Software installers often
present 'Registered Owner' and company (sometimes allowing you to change
them). I've never come across one that displays the computer name.

The 'Registered to: details that are displayed in System Properties can
be changed using regedit as follows:

Find and go to below key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version

Change the name 'test' in following subkey
RegisteredOwner.

This is the key used by most installers.

You could also search for other occurrences of 'test', checking the
usage context and changing them as required (as Harry already suggested).

Harry

Craig Whitmore wrote:

>> Fire up regedit and search for all instances of 'test' and change
>> the them to 'Brian'. But be careful you dont change things such
>> as 'latest', or the wrong instances of 'test'.
>> You will need to scrap files such as test.pwl, test.wab etc, but new
>> ones will get created automatically.
>>

> I would think going into the System Control Panel and into the Computer
> Name tag would be alot easier

You might think that ... but it would only change the network name.

Besides, did you really think that KiwiBrian was posting to this
newsgroup to ask a question so absurdly simple that even you could
answer it?