Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Intel & Microsoft supporting HD-DVD

Intel & Microsoft supporting HD-DVD

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

So, Intel and Microsoft are siding with the HD-DVD camp against Blu-Ray.

Is this going to make that much difference? Remember a few years ago,
when Microsoft announced it was siding with DVD+R/RW? That was expected
to clinch the dominance of that format over DVD-R/RW. It didn't.

So it's hard to see how this announcement is going to lead to anything
different.

Not that the decision isn't a source of acrimony already:
<http://news.com.com/DVD+dispute+burn...41_3-5885785.h
tml>. I like this quote from Michael Dell: "Which version of Windows was
the first to support DVD drives? The answer is none, because there is no
DVD codec in Windows, because manufacturers have always provided their
own codecs."

Surprising only to those who automatically assume that Windows comes
with support for everything...

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:46:22 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> saying something like
this:

>Surprising only to those who automatically assume that Windows comes
>with support for everything...

I just read an article about this. Intel and Microsoft have put their
(significant) weight behind HD-DVD. HP and Dell (who have over half of
the PC market) are behind Blu-Ray. Personally, I support Blu-Ray.
HD-DVD just seems like DVD version 2.0.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

PC

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> T'was the Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:46:22 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
> D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> saying something like
> this:
>
>>Surprising only to those who automatically assume that Windows comes
>>with support for everything...

> I just read an article about this. Intel and Microsoft have put their
> (significant) weight behind HD-DVD. HP and Dell (who have over half of
> the PC market) are behind Blu-Ray. Personally, I support Blu-Ray.
> HD-DVD just seems like DVD version 2.0.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.

And let me predict "Blu-ray" will win in the end.

Why?

It has a memorable name.
It is more obviously the 'next generation' of optical drive.

Just my 2c

Paul.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:02:52 +1200 when I remembered "PC"

>And let me predict "Blu-ray" will win in the end.
>
>Why?
>
>It has a memorable name.

I thought Betamax sounded cooler than VHS.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Ross

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:02:52 +1200, "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> T'was the Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:46:22 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
>> D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> saying something like
>> this:
>>
>>>Surprising only to those who automatically assume that Windows comes
>>>with support for everything...

>> I just read an article about this. Intel and Microsoft have put their
>> (significant) weight behind HD-DVD. HP and Dell (who have over half of
>> the PC market) are behind Blu-Ray. Personally, I support Blu-Ray.
>> HD-DVD just seems like DVD version 2.0.
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Waylon Kenning.

>And let me predict "Blu-ray" will win in the end.
>
>Why?
>
>It has a memorable name.
>It is more obviously the 'next generation' of optical drive.
>
>Just my 2c
>
>Paul.

And Geoworks had a better name than Windows 3.1

John

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 15:11:20 +1300, Ross wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:02:52 +1200, "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> T'was the Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:46:22 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
>>> D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> saying something like
>>> this:

>>> I just read an article about this. Intel and Microsoft have put their
>>> (significant) weight behind HD-DVD. HP and Dell (who have over half of
>>> the PC market) are behind Blu-Ray. Personally, I support Blu-Ray.
>>> HD-DVD just seems like DVD version 2.0.
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Waylon Kenning.

>>And let me predict "Blu-ray" will win in the end.
>>
>>Why?
>>
>>It has a memorable name.
>>It is more obviously the 'next generation' of optical drive.
>>
>>Just my 2c
>>
>>Paul.

> And Geoworks had a better name than Windows 3.1

Still got a copy of Geoworks in the cupboard - cost mega-bucks when
new

Regards,
John.

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 22:05:20 +1200, Waylon Kenning
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>T'was the Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:46:22 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
>D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> saying something like
>this:
>
>>Surprising only to those who automatically assume that Windows comes
>>with support for everything...

>I just read an article about this. Intel and Microsoft have put their
>(significant) weight behind HD-DVD. HP and Dell (who have over half of
>the PC market) are behind Blu-Ray. Personally, I support Blu-Ray.
>HD-DVD just seems like DVD version 2.0.

Both HP & Dell were also DVD+ only supporters too but DVD+ didn't win
the battle (I would consider it a tie). Will we end up seeing
Blu-Ray/HD-DVD hybrid machines like the DVD+/- standard now?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Will we end up seeing
>Blu-Ray/HD-DVD hybrid machines like the DVD+/- standard now?

Some think this is inevitable.

Think about it, though: imagine a device that has to be able to read
_and_ write Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW, with 3
separate lasers for handling 5 different format families? Might be a bit
unwieldy.

But then, if there is the demand, it will be made and sold...

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:08:21 +1300 when I remembered A

>Will we end up seeing
>Blu-Ray/HD-DVD hybrid machines like the DVD+/- standard now?

Samsung have said that if no one wins, they'll release a combo drive.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.