Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Multiple ADSL Modems on Network

Multiple ADSL Modems on Network

a_gera80@hotmail.com

A friend of mine is having problems with one of his 4 computers
connecting to the internet via ADSL.

I checked out his computer and it seems that the problem was caused by
him having an extra ADSL modem (a Dynalink RTA770) on the network,
which apparently he is using as a wireless access point for his laptop.
The other modem is a Web Excel one and this is the one that has the
ADSL connection. The modems are on different subnets incidently (not on
purpose, just the defaults that the modems came with).

If I do an ipconfig on the PC with the problem, it shows that it's
using the Dynalink as the Default Gateway whereas the other PC's on the
network correctly use the Web Excel one. If I change the settings for
the PC to use a static IP and specify the Web Excel as the Default
Gateway, then the PC is fine.

Is there a way to avoid having to do this though? I tried turning off
DHCP on the Dynalink, but that didn't seem to make a difference (though
I didn't reboot the PC).

In a situation like this with multiple DHCP servers, how does a client
decide which one to use to get an IP address?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

>I tried turning off
>DHCP on the Dynalink, but that didn't seem to make a difference (though
>I didn't reboot the PC).

You might want to try rebooting the PC. If it was given a lease for,
say, 2 hours, then there's no reason for it to check back with the DHCP
server before that time.

>In a situation like this with multiple DHCP servers, how does a client
>decide which one to use to get an IP address?

It doesn't. It just broadcasts a DHCP request: "Hello, can anyone give
me a network configuration?", and it's up to the server(s) whether to
respond or not.

Gordon

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 00:42:53 -0700, a_gera80 wrote:

> In a situation like this with multiple DHCP servers, how does a client
> decide which one to use to get an IP address?

One DHCP server per network. Why do you need more? One captain per ship,
one set of traffic lights per intersection.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 00:42:53 -0700, a_gera80 wrote:
>
>> In a situation like this with multiple DHCP servers, how does a client
>> decide which one to use to get an IP address?

>One DHCP server per network. Why do you need more?

Bigger networks might have more than one. You could have departmental
ones, each with a fixed list of MAC addresses to which it will give IP
configurations to.

Andrew Gerald

> You might want to try rebooting the PC. If it was given a lease for,
> say, 2 hours, then there's no reason for it to check back with the DHCP
> server before that time.

I did do an ipconfig /renew, but it came back saying no server was able
to process the request, or something like that, so it seemed like it
was still trying to access the other router. Should I have done an
ipconfig /release first?

"Andrew Gerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You might want to try rebooting the PC. If it was given a lease for,
>> say, 2 hours, then there's no reason for it to check back with the DHCP
>> server before that time.

>I did do an ipconfig /renew, but it came back saying no server was able
>to process the request, or something like that, so it seemed like it
>was still trying to access the other router. Should I have done an
>ipconfig /release first?

Not sure, since I don't have files named "renew" or "release" in an
"ipconfig" directory, or even an "ipconfig" directory ...

.... but at a guess I'd say "yes".

Bob I

"ipconfig" is a command. "/release" and "/renew" are switches or
parameters. Please issue an "ipconfig /?" at the command prompt for
further info.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "Andrew Gerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>>You might want to try rebooting the PC. If it was given a lease for,
>>>say, 2 hours, then there's no reason for it to check back with the DHCP
>>>server before that time.

>>I did do an ipconfig /renew, but it came back saying no server was able
>>to process the request, or something like that, so it seemed like it
>>was still trying to access the other router. Should I have done an
>>ipconfig /release first?

> Not sure, since I don't have files named "renew" or "release" in an
> "ipconfig" directory, or even an "ipconfig" directory ...
>
> ... but at a guess I'd say "yes".

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <u$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bob I <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"ipconfig" is a command. "/release" and "/renew" are switches or
>parameters. Please issue an "ipconfig /?" at the command prompt for
>further info.
>
>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>>I did do an ipconfig /renew, but it came back saying no server was able
>>>to process the request, or something like that, so it seemed like it
>>>was still trying to access the other router. Should I have done an
>>>ipconfig /release first?

>> Not sure, since I don't have files named "renew" or "release" in an
>> "ipconfig" directory, or even an "ipconfig" directory ...
>>
>> ... but at a guess I'd say "yes".

ldo@hypatia:hack> ipconfig /?
bash: ipconfig: command not found

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> ldo@hypatia:hack> ipconfig /?
> bash: ipconfig: command not found

Clearly since the OP refered to ipconfig in there message, this attempt at bein
an ass of yours, has failed as its already known that they are on an OS that its
supported. If your knowledge of windows commands is so weak you don't recognise
it perhaps just stick to the threads about linux.

Andrew

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 00:42:53 -0700, a_gera80 wrote:
>>

>>>In a situation like this with multiple DHCP servers, how does a client
>>>decide which one to use to get an IP address?

>>One DHCP server per network. Why do you need more?

> Bigger networks might have more than one. You could have departmental
> ones, each with a fixed list of MAC addresses to which it will give IP
> configurations to.

yup.. we do