Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which?

DVD HD recorders - Panasonic - Sony - Pioneer. Which?

Canon Paora Tikitiki

Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.

I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
impatient.

Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
are just as impressive - maybe more so?

Do any of them cope with cheap media?

Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

XP

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki)
wrote:

>Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
>most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
>
>I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
>they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
>impatient.
>
>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
>claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
>are just as impressive - maybe more so?
>
>Do any of them cope with cheap media?
>
>Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only record 2
hours at VHS quality on a DVD.

news.xtra.co.nz

"XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora
> Tikitiki)
> wrote:
>

>>Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
>>most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
>>
>>I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
>>they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
>>impatient.
>>
>>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
>>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
>>claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
>>are just as impressive - maybe more so?
>>
>>Do any of them cope with cheap media?
>>
>>Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

> Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only
> record 2
> hours at VHS quality on a DVD.

Wtf? Are you on drugs?

E. Scrooge

"XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora
> Tikitiki)
> wrote:
>

>>Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
>>most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
>>
>>I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
>>they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
>>impatient.
>>
>>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
>>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
>>claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
>>are just as impressive - maybe more so?
>>
>>Do any of them cope with cheap media?
>>
>>Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

> Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only
> record 2
> hours at VHS quality on a DVD.

At $10,000 each blue ray DVD recorders will be a real bargain....

Cut the crap.
The here and now range of DVD recorders obviously do the job intended and a
lot better than any VCR could ever do.

The current DVD format is well estblished with damn near every bugger now
having a player of some kind.

E. Scrooge

Daver

Latest Panasonic are quite good and now support writing to -RW as well as
+R. The full price on the EH50 is $999 so you should be able to pick it up
for $899 easy. The picture even is EP mode is surprising good and perfectly
acceptable for news type programming.
I wouldn't listen to those who say wait for Blu Ray as they probably haven't
even got a VCR yet as they were hanging out for DVD.
By the time blu ray is affordable and mainstrean you'll have had several
years of use out of the Panasonic.

"Canon Paora Tikitiki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1128129520.be8724902ab3e28eaac5d54cbe8d694e@t eranews...

> Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
> most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
>
> I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
> they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
> impatient.
>
> Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
> good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
> claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
> are just as impressive - maybe more so?
>
> Do any of them cope with cheap media?
>
> Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <1128129520.be8724902ab3e28eaac5d54cbe8d694e@teran ews>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:

>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off.

I have a Pioneer, I think it's a brilliant machine. Why does its choice
of writable media put you off?

XP

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:35:51 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 01:18:23 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora
>> Tikitiki)
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Trying to find the recorder with the least 'cons' or the one with the
>>>most impressive 'pros' .................. or both.
>>>
>>>I'm spending someone else's money - personally at $1200 I think
>>>they're all way too expensive but that 'someone else' is keen and
>>>impatient.
>>>
>>>Only seen the output from a Pioneer - vhs to dvd - looked pretty damn
>>>good to me but Pioneer only do dvd-r/-rw which puts me off. They all
>>>claim to be superdooper at vhs-dvd transfer so I guess the other two
>>>are just as impressive - maybe more so?
>>>
>>>Do any of them cope with cheap media?
>>>
>>>Are you surprised that I have eliminated Philips? I doubt it!

>> Just wait for Blue Ray, all these one are now Obsolete and can only
>> record 2
>> hours at VHS quality on a DVD.
>>

>Wtf? Are you on drugs?

No I have a Brain not like most here.

Whalemeat is Yummy

I think most Panasonic support DVD-RAM

Personally I found this really useful as my DVD on the PC also supports
DVD-RAM

I can record segments on the Panasonic on to DVD-RAM media.
Then put DVD-RAM media into DVD in PC. Using windows explorer, I drag the
file into PC and rename it with an MPG extension. And hey presto have an
MPEG2 file I can email to friends, screen capture etc.

This pretty much made the video capture card on my PC obsolete.

I can also use my PC to author these MPEG2 files into DVDs with motion menus
etc. to make it look more professional. etc..

XP

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 00:31:16 +1200, "Whalemeat is Yummy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I think most Panasonic support DVD-RAM
>
>Personally I found this really useful as my DVD on the PC also supports
>DVD-RAM

Only if its a Panasonic Drive, the LG does not support the DVD-RAM Cartridge.

>I can record segments on the Panasonic on to DVD-RAM media.
>Then put DVD-RAM media into DVD in PC. Using windows explorer, I drag the
>file into PC and rename it with an MPG extension. And hey presto have an
>MPEG2 file I can email to friends, screen capture etc.
>
>This pretty much made the video capture card on my PC obsolete.
>
>I can also use my PC to author these MPEG2 files into DVDs with motion menus
>etc. to make it look more professional. etc..

When there is a DVD Recorder that can record 10 hours on a Disk at VHS quality
I will get one

Invisible

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:54:30 +1200, XP
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When there is a DVD Recorder that can record 10 hours on a Disk at VHS quality
>I will get one

But you can't even record 10hrs on a VHS tape at SP speed.... it's a wonder
you've moved on from an XT or AT machine, after all, there's something bigger &
better "just around the corner".