Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > multifunction lasers

multifunction lasers

brazen

Hi all,

Has anyone got any recommendations for good multifunctions ? Or ones to stay
clear of?

Good as in: it doesnt cost the earth, consumables dont cost an exorbitant
amount, dont care if its slow, just that it works well and is a hardy
brand - we get pretty hot and cold.

They seem to range rather dramatically in price.... all comments gratefully
received.

Gay

Rob J

In article <433c5580$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone got any recommendations for good multifunctions ? Or ones to stay
> clear of?
>
> Good as in: it doesnt cost the earth, consumables dont cost an exorbitant
> amount,

These two are contradictory.
Cheap to buy - inkjets - expensive running costs
Expensive to buy - lasers - cheap running costs.

brazen

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> In article <433c5580$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Has anyone got any recommendations for good multifunctions ? Or ones to
>> stay
>> clear of?
>>
>> Good as in: it doesnt cost the earth, consumables dont cost an exorbitant
>> amount,

> These two are contradictory.
> Cheap to buy - inkjets - expensive running costs
> Expensive to buy - lasers - cheap running costs.

Sorry, I wasnt clear.

I'm after a laser multi (copier, printer, scanner) and they range a lot in
price - dse has them from $400 canon mono - $1000 for a brother colour
laser. I'm expecting to pay somewhere between these two but am after more
info of the good brand / bad brand type. I understand that the cost of
consumables can be an issue for some and would love a heads up if there are
any to watch out for.

Gay

Richard

Rob J wrote:

I would say

Cheap to buy - inkjets - moderate running costs, slow poor output
Cheap to buy - sub $2000 lasers - expensive running costs
Expensive to buy - good lasers - cheap running costs.

> These two are contradictory.
> Cheap to buy - inkjets - expensive running costs
> Expensive to buy - lasers - cheap running costs.

XP

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:30:16 +1200, "brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
>> In article <433c5580$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Has anyone got any recommendations for good multifunctions ? Or ones to
>>> stay
>>> clear of?
>>>
>>> Good as in: it doesnt cost the earth, consumables dont cost an exorbitant
>>> amount,

>> These two are contradictory.
>> Cheap to buy - inkjets - expensive running costs
>> Expensive to buy - lasers - cheap running costs.
>>

>Sorry, I wasnt clear.
>
>I'm after a laser multi (copier, printer, scanner) and they range a lot in
>price - dse has them from $400 canon mono - $1000 for a brother colour
>laser. I'm expecting to pay somewhere between these two but am after more
>info of the good brand / bad brand type. I understand that the cost of
>consumables can be an issue for some and would love a heads up if there are
>any to watch out for.
>
>Gay

Toms rated the Samsung as the best buy for a Laser Printer, might be worth
looking into that brand

I do know of a firm that had a Multifunction thing and got rid of its as the
functions clashed with is intended use.

You can Only use one Feature at the time.

S Roby

Possible issue is future lack of parts for repairs as some suplliers
'no longer support these' after a few years.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Cheap to buy - inkjets - moderate running costs, slow poor output

On the contrary: absolutely stunning (colour) output.

Rob J

In article <433cb15e$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> > In article <433c5580$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Has anyone got any recommendations for good multifunctions ? Or ones to
> >> stay
> >> clear of?
> >>
> >> Good as in: it doesnt cost the earth, consumables dont cost an exorbitant
> >> amount,

> > These two are contradictory.
> > Cheap to buy - inkjets - expensive running costs
> > Expensive to buy - lasers - cheap running costs.
> >

> Sorry, I wasnt clear.
>
> I'm after a laser multi (copier, printer, scanner) and they range a lot in
> price - dse has them from $400 canon mono - $1000 for a brother colour
> laser. I'm expecting to pay somewhere between these two but am after more
> info of the good brand / bad brand type. I understand that the cost of
> consumables can be an issue for some and would love a heads up if there are
> any to watch out for.

As I said
Inkjet consumables are expensive
Laser consumables are cheap
In relative terms

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On the contrary: absolutely stunning (colour) output.

For photos yeah, they are quite good, but for text all that I have tried suffer
a degree of allignment issues between passes of the head, sometimes its minute,
but still there.

Rob J

In article <43410f3a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
> > On the contrary: absolutely stunning (colour) output.

> For photos yeah, they are quite good, but for text all that I have tried suffer
> a degree of allignment issues between passes of the head, sometimes its minute,
> but still there.

In the general discussion about multifunctions, a cheaper laser option
depending on your need is a laser fax.

These come with software that allows the unit to be used as a printer,
and in some cases a scanner. The main limit of the scanner is that it is
sheetfed rather than flatbed. On the other hand, if it allowed multipage
scanning, that would be another pro to consider.