Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How to activate active X in Internet Explorer ?

How to activate active X in Internet Explorer ?

E. Scrooge

news:c61286wshzww.13jyefzwgywdk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:28:12 +1200, Nathan Mercer wrote:
>
>> paradise wrote:
>>> I also went to try and update automatically online and it wont ...why ?
>>> because it requires active x to automate the updates !

>> Use Automatic Updates, not Windows Update through IE

> Only good for critical updates - for normal downloads you need to
> valid Windows, hence the posters need for Active X.
>
> Regards,
> John.

You actually need Active X for the Update Program at Microsoft to be able to
scan what's on your computer already. Not everyone needs the same updates.
Some might be grabbing updates more often than others.
If it was just straight out downloads then you wouldn't need Active X for
that.

One bugger is that Microsoft keep updating the scan update program, so you
have to download the latest version of that first before your computer can
be scanned to see what updates it's lacking.

Automatic means thast if you want to do other things such as other downloads
etc then you're **** out of luck - on dial up anyway.
Who's in charge of your computer? You or Microsoft?
I let my PC know when it can check and grab updates.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

Dave Doe

In article <1128064984.77287@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

> news:c61286wshzww.13jyefzwgywdk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Use Automatic Updates, not Windows Update through IE

> > Only good for critical updates - for normal downloads you need to
> > valid Windows, hence the posters need for Active X.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John.

> You actually need Active X for the Update Program at Microsoft to be able to
> scan what's on your computer already. Not everyone needs the same updates.
> Some might be grabbing updates more often than others.
> If it was just straight out downloads then you wouldn't need Active X for
> that.
>
> One bugger is that Microsoft keep updating the scan update program, so you
> have to download the latest version of that first before your computer can
> be scanned to see what updates it's lacking.
>
> Automatic means thast if you want to do other things such as other downloads
> etc then you're **** out of luck - on dial up anyway.
> Who's in charge of your computer? You or Microsoft?
> I let my PC know when it can check and grab updates.

The only time *you're* in charge of *any* computer is during a power
cut!

--
Duncan