Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anyone with a VIA EPIA.....

Anyone with a VIA EPIA.....

shannon

Richard wrote:

> Rob J wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>>Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
>>>etc)
>>>
>>>Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>>>
>>>Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
>>>for a home entertainment unit

>> What about the small Shuttle systems etc?

> Anything but silent. Thin aluminium doesnt block sound very well and the
> 80mm fan inside is right up against the radiator so there is a lot of wind
> turbulance, and therefore propeller whine from it. the way they get silent
> is to throttle the fan down when its cool, and up when its warm, so
> inevitably any quietness is lost about 5 mins after bootup.

Quiet seems to cost.
There are some quiet htpcs here
http://krome.co.nz/products/product_hushatxpvr.htm
http://krome.co.nz/products/hfx_chassis.htm

Rob J

> Richard wrote:
>
> > Rob J wrote:
> >> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >> (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> What about the small Shuttle systems etc?

> > Anything but silent. Thin aluminium doesnt block sound very well and the
> > 80mm fan inside is right up against the radiator so there is a lot of wind
> > turbulance, and therefore propeller whine from it. the way they get silent
> > is to throttle the fan down when its cool, and up when its warm, so
> > inevitably any quietness is lost about 5 mins after bootup.

> Quiet seems to cost.
> There are some quiet htpcs here
> http://krome.co.nz/products/product_hushatxpvr.htm
> http://krome.co.nz/products/hfx_chassis.htm

My PC has an Enermax power supply. With the chassis fan enabled to be
speed controlled by the motherboard it is a very quiet system. The
problem is that the fan isn't designed to be speed controlled and often
slows down when it's not supposed to, generating warning messages. So
ever since I have had to set the fan to go at full speed all the time.
Bye bye quietness

~misfit~

XPD wrote:
> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one
> motherboard/cpu etc)
>
> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>
> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little
> bulky for a home entertainment unit

Shame Malcolm moved to the US (although he reads here still, just not as
often). He had a dedicated VIA EPIA box as a multimedia centre.
--
~misfit~

Malcolm

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 02:09:05 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> XPD wrote:
>> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one
>> motherboard/cpu etc)
>>
>> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>>
>> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little
>> bulky for a home entertainment unit

> Shame Malcolm moved to the US (although he reads here still, just not as
> often). He had a dedicated VIA EPIA box as a multimedia centre.

Yup... I'm lurking

I have the EPIA MII with 512MB RAM, along with the PVR2000, 200GB Seagate
and a Pioneer DVD writer. I did try a TV2000XP, but was too much
for the processor. Tried it with 2K, XP, RH9, Mandrake 10 and SuSE 9.2.
All worked fine, never got around to trying mythtv though.

--
Cheers
Malcolm

~misfit~

Malcolm wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 02:09:05 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> XPD wrote:
>>> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one
>>> motherboard/cpu etc)
>>>
>>> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>>>
>>> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little
>>> bulky for a home entertainment unit

>> Shame Malcolm moved to the US (although he reads here still, just
>> not as often). He had a dedicated VIA EPIA box as a multimedia
>> centre.

> Yup... I'm lurking
>
> I have the EPIA MII with 512MB RAM, along with the PVR2000, 200GB
> Seagate and a Pioneer DVD writer. I did try a TV2000XP, but was too
> much
> for the processor. Tried it with 2K, XP, RH9, Mandrake 10 and SuSE
> 9.2. All worked fine, never got around to trying mythtv though.

Heh! Bought you out of the woodwork.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~