Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anyone with a VIA EPIA.....

Anyone with a VIA EPIA.....

XPD

Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
etc)

Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....

Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
for a home entertainment unit

TIA

Dave - Dave.net.nz

XPD wrote:
> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
> etc)

/me raises his hand.

> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....

"ok"
Much better once a hardware en/decoder is added.
Supposedly there are some with Hardware de-coders on the mobo, but you
have to use specific versions of specific codecs, and sometimes even
specific software to view them.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

nospam

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
> etc)
>
> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>
> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
> for a home entertainment unit

I've had two. I tried both a ME6000 and an M10000. To be honest, I found
them both a little too slow for my HTPC. On good day, with the wind at your
back, they seem to be just (barely) fast enough, but in general I found
myself continously trying to tweak to improve performance. I was never
satisfied with them. They've also got a pretty shitty tv out.

After about eight months of fiddling I sold the ME6000, and the M10000 is
now a linux file server in the closet.

Sorry, they're just too slow.

Nigel Roberts

XPD wrote:

> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
> etc)
>
> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>
> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
> for a home entertainment unit
>
> TIA

Like The others have said, the slower ones aren't any good for what you want
it for but I've heard good things about the later models like the SP13000,
which have hardware MPEG2 decoding and MPEG4 "acceleration".

http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.ph...&pid=58&page=4

^ this talks about actual playback, which might interest you.

Mercury

Considered a Pentium M on an Asus mobo (EG P4P800) with an adapter CT-479.
The P4P800 motherboards are stock standard Intel 865 chipset motherboards
with SATA, USB, etc.etc.
The CT-479 allows you to plug in a Pentium M into what is otherwise a P4
motherboard - it does require a BIOS update so make sure if you get one that
you specify this comob working.

See:
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...67&modelmenu=1

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
> etc)
>
> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>
> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
> for a home entertainment unit
>
> TIA

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
> etc)
>
> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>
> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
> for a home entertainment unit

What about the small Shuttle systems etc?

XPD

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
>> etc)
>>
>> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>>
>> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
>> for a home entertainment unit

> What about the small Shuttle systems etc?

One word.
Cost

shannon

XPD wrote:
> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
> etc)
>
> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>
> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
> for a home entertainment unit
>
> TIA

The ME6000 is too slow and the rest have heatsink fans so you lose the
quiet advantage.
Maybe consider a Shuttle SFF with the heatpipe cooling system.
Or theres an ASUS barebones called the Spresso that looks nice but I
haven't seen one in the flesh yet.

MaximumDamage

XPD wrote:
> Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
> etc)
>
> Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>
> Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
> for a home entertainment unit
>
> TIA

I thought of one of these for an HTPC too, have a 1Ghz Neamehah at work.
Very slow, get an Athlon with a quiet fan.

Richard

Rob J wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>Anyone have one of those VIA EPIA systems ? (All in one motherboard/cpu
>>etc)
>>
>>Wondering what theyre like for watching DivX etc as a HTPC....
>>
>>Im looking at a SFF system to replace my P3 (ATX) which is a little bulky
>>for a home entertainment unit

> What about the small Shuttle systems etc?

Anything but silent. Thin aluminium doesnt block sound very well and the 80mm
fan inside is right up against the radiator so there is a lot of wind
turbulance, and therefore propeller whine from it. the way they get silent is to
throttle the fan down when its cool, and up when its warm, so inevitably any
quietness is lost about 5 mins after bootup.