Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Illegal Path Link Checker?

Illegal Path Link Checker?

KiwiBrian

Does anyone know of a method, utility, or program that will check for
illegal path-length on a hierachy on a Hard Drive? I am using XP.
TIA
Brian Tozer

Harry

KiwiBrian wrote:

> Does anyone know of a method, utility, or program that will check for
> illegal path-length on a hierachy on a Hard Drive? I am using XP.
> TIA
> Brian Tozer

find path | awk 'length($0)>255{print $0}'

Adam

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 00:28:26 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

>Does anyone know of a method, utility, or program that will check for
>illegal path-length on a hierachy on a Hard Drive? I am using XP.

Brian - isn't there something called "Robocopy"? I think it's an MS
tool <??>. Try Googling around.

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/d4qq9

This is the page for Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools - that has
rbtools - a 12Mb archive of goodies, with Robocopy amongst them:
http://tinyurl.com/6p6cy

or this: http://tinyurl.com/7zvtp

Or else something called XXCopy:
http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

Adam.

Adam

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 00:28:26 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

>Does anyone know of a method, utility, or program that will check for
>illegal path-length on a hierachy on a Hard Drive? I am using XP.

Robocopy:

Copy very long path names (longer that 256 characters).
Previous versions of Robocopy would fail to copy any pathname longer
than 256 characters. The program has now been enhanced to handle
pathnames of any length, up to the internal Windows limit of nearly
32,000 characters.

Check your e-mail

Adam.