Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PC component failure rates.

PC component failure rates.

GraB

It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
like fans), in order of most common first, would be:

1. optical drives
2. PSUs
3. hard drives and monitors

Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
repaired easily.

What do you think?

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
> like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
>
> 1. optical drives
> 2. PSUs
> 3. hard drives and monitors
>
> Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
> two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
> repaired easily.
>
> What do you think?

Most pure electronic devices have a long life. The failure of certain
types of products can be put down to:

1. Electronic components with a limited life. Electrolytic caps, laser
diodes and CRT tubes come to mind here.

2. Mechanical components that wear out - the surfaces and bearings of
HDDs for example.

There may be other examples. As you've noticed, optical drives tend to
have a short life of say five years. These days if someone offers me a
CD ROM drive older than say 2000 I won't even look at it.

XP

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:26:44 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
>like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
>
>1. optical drives
>2. PSUs
>3. hard drives and monitors
>
>Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
>two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
>repaired easily.
>
>What do you think?

Depends if Crap products are used.

There are Fans with a 6 Year Warrantee and PSU with 5, Plus Seagate drives are
5 years..

Good cooling is very important.

I have never had a Monitor Fail yet..

GraB

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:22:43 +1200, XP
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:26:44 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
>>like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
>>
>>1. optical drives
>>2. PSUs
>>3. hard drives and monitors
>>
>>Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
>>two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
>>repaired easily.
>>
>>What do you think?

>Depends if Crap products are used.
>
>There are Fans with a 6 Year Warrantee and PSU with 5, Plus Seagate drives are
>5 years..
>

>Good cooling is very important.
>
>I have never had a Monitor Fail yet..

I have had one monitor fail, one friend had one fail and another had
two. Except for mine, the others were right-offs.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
> like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
>
> 1. optical drives
> 2. PSUs
> 3. hard drives and monitors
>
> Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
> two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
> repaired easily.
>
> What do you think?

Mine looks not too different; what I see go belly up would be:
1 - optical drives
1.01 - analogue modems (lightening surges)( I live rurally which may
have a bearing)
2 - monitors
3 - soundcards (!)
4 - assorted fans (GPU, CPU, PSU)
5 - floppy drives

I think I only had to get one harddrive replaced, ever, seen a couple
get zonked by over-filling (format sorted those out).

-P.

GraB

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 01:26:24 +1200, Peter Huebner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
>> like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
>>
>> 1. optical drives
>> 2. PSUs
>> 3. hard drives and monitors
>>
>> Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
>> two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
>> repaired easily.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

>Mine looks not too different; what I see go belly up would be:
>1 - optical drives
>1.01 - analogue modems (lightening surges)( I live rurally which may
> have a bearing)
>2 - monitors
>3 - soundcards (!)
>4 - assorted fans (GPU, CPU, PSU)
>5 - floppy drives
>
>I think I only had to get one harddrive replaced, ever, seen a couple
>get zonked by over-filling (format sorted those out).
>
>-P.

I have had one soundcard go wonky, an old SoundBlaster16 ISA card, but
that came right after about three months. (A mobo I had that failed
when the PSU failed came back when I tried it again after a year -
still going strong - now called Lazarus).

Bob McLellan

and dust
Rob J wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
>>like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
>>
>>1. optical drives
>>2. PSUs
>>3. hard drives and monitors
>>
>>Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
>>two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
>>repaired easily.
>>
>>What do you think?

> Most pure electronic devices have a long life. The failure of certain
> types of products can be put down to:
>
> 1. Electronic components with a limited life. Electrolytic caps, laser
> diodes and CRT tubes come to mind here.
>
> 2. Mechanical components that wear out - the surfaces and bearings of
> HDDs for example.
>

> There may be other examples. As you've noticed, optical drives tend to
> have a short life of say five years. These days if someone offers me a
> CD ROM drive older than say 2000 I won't even look at it.

Richard

Rob J wrote:
> There may be other examples. As you've noticed, optical drives tend to
> have a short life of say five years. These days if someone offers me a
> CD ROM drive older than say 2000 I won't even look at it.

If someone was to offer me a cdrom drive, I wouldnt look at it

PC

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
> like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
>
> 1. optical drives
> 2. PSUs
> 3. hard drives and monitors
>
> Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
> two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
> repaired easily.
>
> What do you think?

All from memory so estimates only:

Stuff lying around here waiting for the next rubbish trip
3 x 150w ATX PSU dead
5 x 200w AT PSU dead
15 x 2-300w ATX PSU dead
6 x 200w ATX PSU bulging caps
5 x IDE HD 1 - 40GB dead or dying
6 x Motherboard, bulging caps
3 x Motherboard just no go
25 x Modems internal dead/no dialtone

Previous clearouts
30+ CD Readers dead
3+ CD Burners dead.
20+ Modems
? under 1GB hard drives
? 486 motherboards Nicad corrosion
? Floppy disk drives dead/no read
A few soundcards various makes dead.
Some Video cards mainly ram faults
Probably 5-10 14" Monitors dead or needing work.
2 x 15" Edge/Millenium Monitors dead less than 5 years old.
17" Compaq Monitor underscan.

As a general observation
Monitors don't like being stored & lots of 15" Monitors being given away
now.
Machines run 24/7 die very quickly if turned off for a while (mainly PS)
Until I junked them last week I had quite a few Compaq's 386/486 still going
very well (with HD replacements)
Fans only tossed a few, they usually respond very well to the right
lubrication.

Cheers
Paul.

GraB

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:37:53 +1200, "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> It seems to me that PC components that fail (excluding minor things
>> like fans), in order of most common first, would be:
>>
>> 1. optical drives
>> 2. PSUs
>> 3. hard drives and monitors
>>
>> Though I have had no optical drives fail, friends have, but I have had
>> two hard drives, one PSU, and one monitor fail, the monitor was
>> repaired easily.
>>
>> What do you think?

>All from memory so estimates only:
>
>Stuff lying around here waiting for the next rubbish trip
>3 x 150w ATX PSU dead
>5 x 200w AT PSU dead
>15 x 2-300w ATX PSU dead
>6 x 200w ATX PSU bulging caps
>5 x IDE HD 1 - 40GB dead or dying
>6 x Motherboard, bulging caps
>3 x Motherboard just no go
>25 x Modems internal dead/no dialtone
>
>Previous clearouts
>30+ CD Readers dead
>3+ CD Burners dead.
>20+ Modems
>? under 1GB hard drives
>? 486 motherboards Nicad corrosion
>? Floppy disk drives dead/no read
>A few soundcards various makes dead.
>Some Video cards mainly ram faults
>Probably 5-10 14" Monitors dead or needing work.
>2 x 15" Edge/Millenium Monitors dead less than 5 years old.
>17" Compaq Monitor underscan.
>
>As a general observation
>Monitors don't like being stored & lots of 15" Monitors being given away
>now.
>Machines run 24/7 die very quickly if turned off for a while (mainly PS)
>Until I junked them last week I had quite a few Compaq's 386/486 still going
>very well (with HD replacements)
>Fans only tossed a few, they usually respond very well to the right
>lubrication.

Looks like there has been a massacre at your place.