Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HDD Set up

HDD Set up

PAM.

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I see... well, should be fine then, maybe just do a sync(check out
> thread on "drive image" or similar at the moment) between your my docs
> drive, and the other... docs are normally rated above music/vids for
> usefullness.

I plan to use GTK Unison for that. Seems to work nicely

PAM.

PAM.

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> 20Gb = /
> 80Gb = /home
> 80Gb = /home/storage
> 10Gb = /var

Storage? For me downloaded .debs and othe such things or for
music/photos...etc

What's /var again?

PAM.

PAM.

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Unless the surgeon has been busy.

Ouch! Don't even say such things

PAM.

PAM.

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Pam is a he?

Yes.

PAM.

PAM.

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> heh, just shows you should never assume things by a name.
> Pam/=Pamela.

PAM - Peter (Amazing/Arsehole) Morris - take your pick

Well, actually it's originally from my old login on a VM/CMS machine. I had
to have a middle initial and I asked for A rather than their usual X so I
could login as CMSPAM (CM-SPAM).
This was long long long before spam ever caught on.

PAM.

PAM.

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I would go 2 x 120 or 160 gig drives on a motherboard that does raid 1.
>
> Though personally I would buy 250 or 300 gig SATA drives....
>
> Glad you thought about backups....
>
> DVD burners are also dirt cheap....
>
> < $100......

Raid is a fly spray. I am ignorant when it comes to raid 1

SATA?

PAM.

PAM.

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> All on one HDD:
>
> 20GB - OS/Software
> 10GB - My Documents
> 10GB - Scratch (for CD/DVD burning, transcoding, ripping)
>
> 80GB USB - removable backup. Remove when not backing up!
>
> then on your fileserver
>
> 160GB - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
>
> which makes media acessible to all other devices regardless of whether
> your main PC is turned on.
>
> It costs ~ the cost of a new HDD to setup a fileserver for home use
> these days, the hardware is almost free. Raid1 can be set up for the
> cost of 2 HDD.

Sounds like an interesting idea. Seeing as I have a 40Gb HDD, I could split
that up and I'd just need to get a server...Yikes! Sounds scary.

Then we (pardner and I ) could share it rather than our wireless network
that we have currently and constantly copying from 1 PC to the other,
duplicating things.
Hmmmm.

Very HMMMMMMM

PAM.

PAM.

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I think that I would rather stick to my:
> 40GB - WinXP
> 40GB - WinXP 64-bit
> 60GB - SUSE 9.3 64-bit
> 200GB - Data
> 200GB - More data
> 400GB - Even more data
>
> + what my other 2 PCs have (120+160+250)
>
> The good thing is that you can buy 50 blank DVDs to back up stuff for
> $22.50, though it can take a while if you decide to write over 20 DVDs in
> one day.

Perhaps when you've fnished with one of those drives you can give it to me
for free BIG boy.

I don't have the cash for ALL that. I have kids..

PAM.

PAM.

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Pam = Pamela
>
> PAM /= Pamela

PAM. <> Pamela
^ - full stop

PAM.

MarkH

"PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:iNi_e.14729$(E-Mail Removed):

> "MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I think that I would rather stick to my:
>> 40GB - WinXP
>> 40GB - WinXP 64-bit
>> 60GB - SUSE 9.3 64-bit
>> 200GB - Data
>> 200GB - More data
>> 400GB - Even more data
>>
>> + what my other 2 PCs have (120+160+250)
>>
>> The good thing is that you can buy 50 blank DVDs to back up stuff for
>> $22.50, though it can take a while if you decide to write over 20
>> DVDs in one day.

> Perhaps when you've finished with one of those drives you can give it
> to me for free BIG boy.
>
> I don't have the cash for ALL that. I have kids..

It'll take a while. I have 3 PCs that run constantly and 2 test PCs so
I have no problem connecting every HDD I have at the same time.
Currently I am sorting data to be burnt to disk to free up some space.
I do have several small drives, but I use them for trying out different
flavours of Linux.

It is amazing how quickly you can fill the storage space you have when
you download over 20GB per month (more if I download a Linux distro or
3) and also share data with 3 other people who download as much or more.

Luckily HDDs have taken a rather large price tumble over the last year.
Now we are talking about retail prices including GST like:
40GB around $95
80GB around $100
120GB around $145
160GB around $155
200GB around $185
250GB around $235
300GB around $300
400GB around $500
This is from a nearby retailer (PB Tech Auckland) and is for 7200RPM
Seagate HDDs with 5 year warranties. The 160-250GB drives retail under
$1 per gig incl GST.
It is even better if you have access to wholesale prices and can claim
back the GST (Try 400GB SATA for $400), if you can also claim back the
expense off your taxes then we are looking at a 400GB SATA HDD costing
around $300.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade