Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HDD Set up

Reply
Thread Tools

HDD Set up

 
 
Rob J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)y says...
> PAM. wrote:
> > I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
> > 20Gb - OS/Software
> > 40Gb - My Documents
> > 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
> > Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
> >
> > What thinkest Thou?
> >
> > PAM.
> >
> >

>
> I would go 2 x 120 or 160 gig drives on a motherboard that does raid 1.
>
> Though personally I would buy 250 or 300 gig SATA drives....
>
> Glad you thought about backups....
>
> DVD burners are also dirt cheap....
>
> < $100......


You can buy a crap(TM) drive for that much - BTC or Samsung or other
drives that produce discs with high error rates

Or you can spend a little more ($130 or so) for a nice Pioneer or Asus
or Liteon or Sony DVD burner that gives much better results.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
MarkH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
"PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:jz1_e.14554$iM2.1199256
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
> 20Gb - OS/Software
> 40Gb - My Documents
> 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
> Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
>
> What thinkest Thou?


I think that I would rather stick to my:
40GB - WinXP
40GB - WinXP 64-bit
60GB - SUSE 9.3 64-bit
200GB - Data
200GB - More data
400GB - Even more data

+ what my other 2 PCs have (120+160+250)

The good thing is that you can buy 50 blank DVDs to back up stuff for
$22.50, though it can take a while if you decide to write over 20 DVDs in
one day.


--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 5-September-05)
"The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a
young woman. There was no possible way she could have been mistaken
for a young man in any language, especially Braille."
Maskerade
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
MarkH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Apart from the fact it may be difficult to find a 20Gb drive I don't
> think it is such a good idea. One thing I found after installing a
> 160Gb 8Mb cache Samsung ATA133 drive, replace my Quantum Fireball
> 20.5Gb drive was the sheer speed of the new drive. I would recommend
> putting your OS on the fastest drive, where the swap file would be
> too. It would make a noticeable difference to overall speed.


I hate swap files! They were a kludge back when RAM was pricey, but now
you can have enough RAM to do almost anything on a PC and have no need for
a swap file at all. I use 2GB RAM and no swap file on my main PC.



--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 5-September-05)
"The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a
young woman. There was no possible way she could have been mistaken
for a young man in any language, especially Braille."
Maskerade
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ross
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:54:24 +1200, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>PAM. wrote:
>> I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
>> 20Gb - OS/Software
>> 40Gb - My Documents
>> 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
>> Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
>>
>> What thinkest Thou?
>>
>> PAM.
>>
>>

>
>I would go 2 x 120 or 160 gig drives on a motherboard that does raid 1.
>
>Though personally I would buy 250 or 300 gig SATA drives....


I'm thinking of going with 2 x 80 gig drives (RAID 0 for speed).
Should I get SATA drives for this?

Yes, I backup every day (removable HDD).

Ross
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mercury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
> I'm thinking of going with 2 x 80 gig drives (RAID 0 for speed).
> Should I get SATA drives for this?



What makes you think you will get speed with RAID 0? Most people only
experience a small noticeable improvement during boot, then after a while
notice an infinite drop when 1 of the drives die.

RAID 0 is a waste of effort for most people.... but your usage could
benefit.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
Rob J wrote:
>>>I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
>>>20Gb - OS/Software
>>>40Gb - My Documents
>>>80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
>>>Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
>>>What thinkest Thou?
>>>PAM.


>>If it were me I'd do:
>>20Gb = /
>>80Gb = /home
>>80Gb = /home/storage
>>10Gb = /var


> He's obviously not talking about Linux.


Pam is a he?

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Rob J wrote:
>
>>>> I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
>>>> 20Gb - OS/Software
>>>> 40Gb - My Documents
>>>> 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
>>>> Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
>>>> What thinkest Thou?
>>>> PAM.

>
>
>>> If it were me I'd do:
>>> 20Gb = /
>>> 80Gb = /home
>>> 80Gb = /home/storage
>>> 10Gb = /var

>
>
>> He's obviously not talking about Linux.

>
>
> Pam is a he?
>

Unless the surgeon has been busy.

--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
EMB wrote:
>>>>> I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
>>>>> 20Gb - OS/Software
>>>>> 40Gb - My Documents
>>>>> 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
>>>>> Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
>>>>> What thinkest Thou?
>>>>> PAM.


>>>> If it were me I'd do:
>>>> 20Gb = /
>>>> 80Gb = /home
>>>> 80Gb = /home/storage
>>>> 10Gb = /var


>>> He's obviously not talking about Linux.


>> Pam is a he?


> Unless the surgeon has been busy.


heh, just shows you should never assume things by a name.
Pam/=Pamela.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:17:59 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> EMB wrote:
>>>>>> I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts. 20Gb -
>>>>>> OS/Software
>>>>>> 40Gb - My Documents
>>>>>> 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
>>>>>> Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs What thinkest Thou?
>>>>>> PAM.

>
>>>>> If it were me I'd do:
>>>>> 20Gb = /
>>>>> 80Gb = /home
>>>>> 80Gb = /home/storage
>>>>> 10Gb = /var

>
>>>> He's obviously not talking about Linux.

>
>>> Pam is a he?

>
>> Unless the surgeon has been busy.

>
> heh, just shows you should never assume things by a name. Pam/=Pamela.


Took me a little while to catch on as well
I'm considering adding to the relevant RFC a new header
X-Gender:
With appropriate values being, Male, Female, Butchered, About to be
butchered, and Martian (for cliff)

--
Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> heh, just shows you should never assume things by a name.
> Pam/=Pamela.


Pam = Pamela

PAM /= Pamela



--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my laptop sata hdd crahed,can i use seagate portable hdd as laptopsata hdd through some convertors?? ashjas Computer Support 2 03-29-2008 07:24 PM
Is there such a product that makes an internal HDD to USB external HDD? scratch@akc.com Computer Support 6 04-29-2005 03:42 AM
Re: Win98 HDD can't see Win XP HDD Garnett Honeyson-Gandlechon Computer Support 3 08-05-2004 11:21 AM
Copying WinXP From one HDD to anther HDD jackman5 Computer Support 3 05-16-2004 04:44 PM
Powerbook HDD and notebook HDD Michael Brown Computer Information 1 10-27-2003 03:06 AM



Advertisments