Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HDD Set up

HDD Set up

PAM.

I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
20Gb - OS/Software
40Gb - My Documents
80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs

What thinkest Thou?

PAM.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

PAM. wrote:
> I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
> 20Gb - OS/Software
> 40Gb - My Documents
> 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
> Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
>
> What thinkest Thou?

your PC... do what you like...

ummm, seperate Hdd is usually a good idea, as it potentially cuts down
on the chance that you will lose all data should a Hdd die.

Can I suggest that you do something like 20GB for OS/software, 100GB for
docs/music/etc and 100GB for backup?

Removable for the backup drive would be good... although only important
if your data is worth more than the hassle of doing the backup.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

PAM.

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Can I suggest that you do something like 20GB for OS/software, 100GB for
> docs/music/etc and 100GB for backup?
>
> Removable for the backup drive would be good... although only important
> if your data is worth more than the hassle of doing the backup.

My 'serious' 'serious' is all at hotmail and yahoo backed up
I try to keep my 'serious' backups to CD size. (work related and decent
'can't live without'
Photos are an issue backing up but would do so in no particular order onto
CD just to make sure I have a back up of them.
Music and Videos are a hassle if I lose them but not the end of the world.
Anything else is usually downloadable from the net but a hassle more than
anything (Anti virus, firewall, DesktopX...etc)
My Docs fill up probably 5Gb if that. The rest of the 100Mb would be a
waste. Hence 40Gb for that and 120 for Music/Vid/Photo.

I did check out the 'net for solid state disks. 155 GB SSD IS
AVAILABLE...COOL!!!!

Might look at removeable ones.

PAM.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

PAM. wrote:
>>Can I suggest that you do something like 20GB for OS/software, 100GB for
>>docs/music/etc and 100GB for backup?

>>Removable for the backup drive would be good... although only important
>>if your data is worth more than the hassle of doing the backup.

> My 'serious' 'serious' is all at hotmail and yahoo backed up
> I try to keep my 'serious' backups to CD size. (work related and decent
> 'can't live without'
> Photos are an issue backing up but would do so in no particular order onto
> CD just to make sure I have a back up of them.
> Music and Videos are a hassle if I lose them but not the end of the world.
> Anything else is usually downloadable from the net but a hassle more than
> anything (Anti virus, firewall, DesktopX...etc)
> My Docs fill up probably 5Gb if that. The rest of the 100Mb would be a
> waste. Hence 40Gb for that and 120 for Music/Vid/Photo.

I see... well, should be fine then, maybe just do a sync(check out
thread on "drive image" or similar at the moment) between your my docs
drive, and the other... docs are normally rated above music/vids for
usefullness.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Allistar

PAM. wrote:

> I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
> 20Gb - OS/Software
> 40Gb - My Documents
> 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
> Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
>
> What thinkest Thou?
>
> PAM.

If it were me I'd do:

20Gb = /
80Gb = /home
80Gb = /home/storage
10Gb = /var

Allistar.

Rob J

> PAM. wrote:
>
> > I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
> > 20Gb - OS/Software
> > 40Gb - My Documents
> > 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
> > Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
> >
> > What thinkest Thou?
> >
> > PAM.

> If it were me I'd do:
>
> 20Gb = /
> 80Gb = /home
> 80Gb = /home/storage
> 10Gb = /var

He's obviously not talking about Linux.

thingy

PAM. wrote:
> I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
> 20Gb - OS/Software
> 40Gb - My Documents
> 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
> Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
>
> What thinkest Thou?
>
> PAM.

I would go 2 x 120 or 160 gig drives on a motherboard that does raid 1.

Though personally I would buy 250 or 300 gig SATA drives....

Glad you thought about backups....

DVD burners are also dirt cheap....

< $100......

regards

Thing

-=rjh=-

PAM. wrote:
> I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
> 20Gb - OS/Software
> 40Gb - My Documents
> 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
> Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
>
> What thinkest Thou?

All on one HDD:

20GB - OS/Software
10GB - My Documents
10GB - Scratch (for CD/DVD burning, transcoding, ripping)

80GB USB - removable backup. Remove when not backing up!

then on your fileserver

160GB - Music/Video/Photo/Backup

which makes media acessible to all other devices regardless of whether
your main PC is turned on.

It costs ~ the cost of a new HDD to setup a fileserver for home use
these days, the hardware is almost free. Raid1 can be set up for the
cost of 2 HDD.

shannon

Rob J wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>PAM. wrote:
>>

>>>I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
>>>20Gb - OS/Software
>>>40Gb - My Documents
>>>80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
>>>Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
>>>
>>>What thinkest Thou?
>>>
>>>PAM.

>>If it were me I'd do:
>>
>>20Gb = /
>>80Gb = /home
>>80Gb = /home/storage
>>10Gb = /var

> He's obviously not talking about Linux.

Maybe maybe not, you would know for sure if you asked instead of just
rudely contradicting Alistair.
PAM has posted here before about his Linspire usage IIRC.

GraB

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:50:06 +1200, "PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
>20Gb - OS/Software
>40Gb - My Documents
>80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
>Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
>
>What thinkest Thou?
>
>PAM.

Apart from the fact it may be difficult to find a 20Gb drive I don't
think it is such a good idea. One thing I found after installing a
160Gb 8Mb cache Samsung ATA133 drive, replace my Quantum Fireball
20.5Gb drive was the sheer speed of the new drive. I would recommend
putting your OS on the fastest drive, where the swap file would be
too. It would make a noticeable difference to overall speed.

I would have the large drive for most things and a second drive for
storing images of the various partitions (Ghost, Drive Image, Acronis
True Image, etc), setting aside 20-40Gb and leaving the rest for
storage and another Unix-based OS. Some images could be also backed
up on DVD disc.