Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > drive image software ????

drive image software ????

S Roby

Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an image
of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving all other
directories.
Is there any software that does this??
Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux boot
CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

Dave Taylor

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)le (S Roby) wrote in
news:CcNZe.14383$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take
> an image of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory,
> leaving all other directories.
> Is there any software that does this??
> Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux
> boot CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

There are lots of file sync tools.
Karenware's Replicator is one.

Many tools do what you need.
What os is the host and are the files able to be copied to a new folder OK?
Windows comes with the "Briefcase"

--
Ciao, Dave

Nathan Mercer

Dave Taylor wrote:
>>Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take
>>an image of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory,
>>leaving all other directories.
>>Is there any software that does this??

WIM Imaging can do that, unfortunately its not publically available yet

>>Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux
>>boot CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??
>>

> There are lots of file sync tools.
> Karenware's Replicator is one.

Also checkout SyncToy, which can help you copy, move, and synchronize
different directories.
http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/using...o/synctoy.mspx

> Many tools do what you need.
> What os is the host and are the files able to be copied to a new folder OK?
> Windows comes with the "Briefcase"

FWIW when it comes to imaging it will be built into Windows Vista (and
work downlevel to XP as well)

Windows Imaging Format (WIM)
Windows Vista is distributed in WIM, the new hardware-independent
image-file format. This means that an organisation needs only one image
addressing the different hardware configurations within the company.

This format has the following advantages:

It enables you to store multiple images in one file.

Microsoft can ship a single worldwide binary.

This format reduces file sizes significantly by using a compressed file
format and single-instance storage techniques (the image file contains
one physical copy of a file for each instance of it in the image file,
which significantly reduces the size of image files that contain
multiple images).

You can service the image offline, including adding and deleting
optional components, updates, and drivers, without fundamentally
creating a new image.

You can mount images as folders, making it easier to update files within
images, using interfaces as common as Windows Explorer.

Cheers
Nathan

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <CcNZe.14383$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)le (S Roby) wrote:

>Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an image
>of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving all other
>directories.

If you want to transfer a directory and not a disk, how about 7-Zip
<http://www.7-zip.org/>.

Harry

S Roby wrote:

> Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an
> image of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving
> all other directories.
> Is there any software that does this??
> Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux
> boot CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

dd

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>S Roby wrote:
>
>> Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an
>> image of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving
>> all other directories.
>> Is there any software that does this??
>> Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux
>> boot CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

>dd

Won't do directories.

Harry

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>S Roby wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an
>>> image of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving
>>> all other directories.
>>> Is there any software that does this??
>>> Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux
>>> boot CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

>>dd

> Won't do directories.

Yes it will. You loop mount the image and extract whatever you like.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Nathan Mercer wrote:
> Also checkout SyncToy, which can help you copy, move, and synchronize
> different directories.
> http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/using...o/synctoy.mspx

Nice... it's going to go on my mums new machine, just to sync her email
to another Hdd in the machine for convenient backups for me(sync
important data to another drive, copy drive to CD/DVD/my machine).

One annoying thing that you may be able to help me with Nathan, is that
I have an Imate Smartphone SP3i, but the Active sync software doesn't
give the ability to sync the files, any idea why?

I've taken to manually copying them all, but it is a kinda stupid way to
copy them when there should ideally be an option to sync my data(have
seen it on other PDA phones).

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

wogers nemesis

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 06:23:54 GMT, S Roby wrote:

> Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an image
> of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving all other
> directories.
> Is there any software that does this??
> Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux boot
> CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

Syncback may do what you want (kind of)

http://www.2brightsparks.com/index.html

S Roby

In article <CcNZe.14383$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)le (S Roby) wrote:
>Hi. Im after drive image software (like ghost) that will let me take an image
>of just one directory(Win) & restore just that directory, leaving all other
>directories.
>Is there any software that does this??
>Could I do it by burning the Win dir to DVD & using some sort of Linux boot
>CD(say Knopix) to access the hard drive & copy the dir over??

Im not after a sync tool,
What I want is a tool that will let me restore just a backup of the win dir,
leaving all other dirs.
ie make a backup/image of the win dir say once every 3 months, just in case
I toast Win.
Ghost can do this ( I think). You can use the full Ghost software to extract
just certain files/dirs but I dont think it can restore selected dirs, leaving
other dirs untouched.

I want do do this without running Win, for when Windows is corrupted/wont run
& I dont want to do a full reload.