Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cable vs Phone Line High Speed Internet

Cable vs Phone Line High Speed Internet

~misfit~

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Why not just install Python?

>> Is it available multi-platform? I just assumed you were doing the
>> Linux pushing thing again and didn't look into it.

> Did you try looking it up?

See above where I wrote "didn't look into it".

I'm familiar with your track-record of making wildly inappropriate "install
Linux" type replies to valid questions so took your reply with a pinch of
salt.

> Some people want everything served to them
> on a plate.

And others just prefer to hear of experiences that people they *know* have
had. It can be far easier than working through the signal/noise ratio of a
Google search and *most* people here are happy to oblige. I answer more
queries here than I ask, I don't think that's exactly wanting "everything
served to me on a plate".
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Brendan wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:17:30 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I tried it once and was unsuccessful at setting it up. I've since
>> been using eMule. Any chance of a Q&D guide on clients etc?

> Installed and use bitcomet, no problems. Free, and free of spyware
> etc.
>
> 'ABC' is also good. Bitcomet is better though - faster, small memory
> use, no need to recheck uploads when restarting, etc. Will autoconfig
> your uPNP firewall (xp's built in one).

Thanks Brendan.
--
~misfit~

Andrew

Gary L T wrote:
> I have been reading about the residential high speed cable internet provided
> by TelstraClear. The high speed 5G plan for $59.95 per month plus $10.95 for
> cable modem rental seems to be a good option with its 2Mbps downstream / 512
> kbps upstream. The nearest Telecom plan would probably be the Xtra Broadband
> "Navigate" plan for $69.95 per month, with 10GB per month and $20 extra per
> GB for usage over 10GB. "Navigate" is claimed to be up to 50x faster than
> dial-up, and I guess the 2Mbps Telstra cable option would be much the same?
>
> I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
> TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband phone
> line (ADSL) plans. The Telstra cable 512 kbps upstream rate is faster then
> the Telecom maximum upload speed of 128Kbps. I have heard that cable high
> speed internet provides close to the 2Mbps downstream all the time, whereas
> the phone line broadband downstream speed is more variable and can run a lot
> slower than 2Mbps at times, according to phone line conditions and traffic-
> is this correct?
>
> TelstraClear also has a 10Mbps cable downstream option called "lightspeed",
> which I don't think has been matched yet by Telecom?
>
> In other words, is cable fibre optics high speed internet the way of the
> future and preferable to phone-line broadband? Does Telecom have plans to
> introduce cable high speed internet?
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Gary

One question that i have... what does telstra charge after you go over
the monthly datalimit?

Is it like telecom where they just reduce your speed, Or do they charge
a certain amount per megabyte?

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/produc...net/highspeed/

--
Duncan

Nigel Roberts

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> I suspecct that it does, though I've only just started wading through
> the (poorly-commented) source. There's some mention of "NAT checking" in
> track.py, which I think has to do with hole punching.

With all the documentation (on the bittorrent site no less) on how to open
up ports on firewalls to make sure connections work both ways, I'd say it
doesn't. There are other reasons you might want to check if you're being
NAT'd aside from hole punching, such as confirming what IP address you
appear to be coming from for the benefit of other clients.

See http://www.bittorrent.com/FAQ.html#firewall

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <433de0fe$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>>> Is it available multi-platform? I just assumed you were doing the
>>> Linux pushing thing again and didn't look into it.

>> Did you try looking it up?

>See above where I wrote "didn't look into it".
>
>I'm familiar with your track-record of making wildly inappropriate "install
>Linux" type replies to valid questions so took your reply with a pinch of
>salt.

Ph33r my FUDding skillz.

Shane

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:55:39 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Two things which slow [BitTorrent] down. 1) a tracker which is sick or dies
>>and 2) not having the correct ports open 6881 thru 6889. The third is lack
>>of seeds and/or peers.

> I never understood the ports 6881-thru-whatever business. I've seen
> documentation claiming it can make things faster, but how? Either
> BitTorrent can make the connections or it can't.

Ive spent the afternoon researching this protocol (as I had the view to
put together my own client) and I remembered this thread,
http://p2pnet.net/story/5172
The strategy proposed by BitTorrent is named “tit-for-tat”, meaning
that a client will preferably cooperate with the peers cooperating with
him. Practically, this means that each client measures how fast it can
download from each peer and, in turn, will serve those from whom it has
the better download rates. This strategy is implemented for all but one
slot which is attributed to an interested client, regardless of its upload
rate. This so-called “optimistic unchoking” allows for the discovery
of better peers than those currently selected (i.e. those with higher
upload rates).

Shane

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:45:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Nigel Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> I never understood the ports 6881-thru-whatever business. I've seen
>>> documentation claiming it can make things faster, but how? Either
>>> BitTorrent can make the connections or it can't.

>>The thing is that if a person has part of a file that you want, and you are
>>both behind firewalls with out pin holes, you will never be able to connect
>>to them to get the bits you want and they can never connect to you either.

> Actually, you can by doing hole punching. BitTorrent must be able to
> manage this, because it doesn't say that, if you don't open the
> pinholes, you won't be/may not be able to transfer at all.

http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification

The parameters used in the client->tracker GET request are as follows:
ip: Optional. The true IP address of the client machine, in dotted quad
format or rfc3513 defined hexed IPv6 address. Notes: In general this
parameter is not necessary as the address of the client can be determined
from the IP address from which the HTTP request came. The parameter is
only needed in the case where the IP address that the request came in on
is not the IP address of the client. This happens if the client is
communicating to the tracker through a proxy (or a transparent web
proxy/cache.) It also is necessary when both the client and the tracker
are on the same local side of a NAT gateway. The reason for this is that
otherwise the tracker would give out the internal (RFC191 address of the
client, which is not routeable. Therefore the client must explicitly state
its (external, routeable) IP address to be given out to external peers.
Various trackers treat this parameter differently. Some only honor it only
if the IP address that the request came in on is in RFC1918 space. Others
honor it unconditionally, while others ignore it completely. In case of
IPv6 address (e.g.: 2001:db8:1:2::100) it indicates only that client can
communicate via IPv6.

Handshake
The initiator of a connection is expected to transmit their handshake
immediately. The recipient may wait for the initiator's handshake, if it
is capable of serving multiple torrents simultaneously (torrents are
uniquely identified by their info_hash). However, the recipient must
respond as soon as it sees the info_hash part of the handshake. The
tracker's NAT-checking feature does not send the peer_id field of the
handshake.

Redbaiter

Shane says...
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:55:39 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>Two things which slow [BitTorrent] down. 1) a tracker which is sick or dies
> >>and 2) not having the correct ports open 6881 thru 6889. The third is lack
> >>of seeds and/or peers.

> > I never understood the ports 6881-thru-whatever business. I've seen
> > documentation claiming it can make things faster, but how? Either
> > BitTorrent can make the connections or it can't.

> Ive spent the afternoon researching this protocol

Bullshit, you've spent the afternoon whacking off over your mummy's
panties as usual you little creep.. copying html crap here and
pretending to have written it yourself.. you damn sneaking cowardly
little fake..

Shane

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:21:29 +1300, Redbaiter wrote:

> Shane says...
>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:55:39 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>> > I never understood the ports 6881-thru-whatever business. I've seen
>> > documentation claiming it can make things faster, but how? Either
>> > BitTorrent can make the connections or it can't.

>> Ive spent the afternoon researching this protocol

> Bullshit, you've spent the afternoon whacking off over your mummy's
> panties as usual you little creep.. copying html crap here and
> pretending to have written it yourself.. you damn sneaking cowardly
> little fake..

Did you read the rest of the post stalker?
Did you see _any_ html ?
and where did I pretend to have written it myself?
here.. I'll post it again