Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cable vs Phone Line High Speed Internet

Reply
Thread Tools

Cable vs Phone Line High Speed Internet

 
 
shannon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
Gary L T wrote:

>
> "shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Gary L T wrote:

>
>>> Thanks very much for this reply. One retailer told me that cable high
>>> speed internet may not be not as fast as ADSL because the more people
>>> there are on cable in your street, the slower the cable internet is,
>>> because everyone in the street shares the same cable. However, with
>>> ADSL, there is apparently a dedicated port at the Exchange for each
>>> phone number, and thus ADSL is faster? Can anyone explain this for me,
>>> is it correct? I was told by Telstra that there is a dedicated internet
>>> "line" within the cable and thus cable is far superior to ADSL as far as
>>> consistent high speed goes!

>>
>> TC is right and the retailer is wrong. The RF coax cable has heaps of
>> bandwidth.
>> Telstra has fiber to their street hub cabinets and local copper coax that
>> branches off.
>> With Telstra cable the download speeds I get are always the maximum if
>> the remote site is fast enough, there seems to be no influence of
>> contention ratio effects.
>> The service is technically good but TCs support isn't great, especially
>> for
>> their usenet server.

>
> Thanks, yes your reply makes more sense to me than the retailer's
> explanation.
>
> One other question, if you want a wireless connection to a laptop, or a
> second connection to a second desktop computer, Telstra can't sell you a
> router that will do this (their modem has only one outlet apparently).
> Does anyone know of a router that has 4 ports and a wireless option that
> is compatible with Telstra's high speed cable internet / modem?
>
> Thanks, Gary


Yes, there are quite a few available.
I use a Linksys WRT54G which is a solid performer available from vendors
like ascent.co.nz for about $160.
It has a bonus of an active 3rd party developer community which produce
enhanced software with added features.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
Gary L T wrote:

>>TC is right and the retailer is wrong. The RF coax cable has heaps of
>>bandwidth.
>>Telstra has fiber to their street hub cabinets and local copper coax that
>>branches off.
>>With Telstra cable the download speeds I get are always the maximum if the
>>remote site is fast enough, there seems to be no influence of contention
>>ratio effects.
>>The service is technically good but TCs support isn't great, especially
>>for
>>their usenet server.


They are both right in a way, the local RF cable network is shared between all
the customers connected to it, but correct provisioning ensures its not a
problem - In the states where they dont have this concept of usage caps and such
low speeds, then yeah, the local cable span can get conjested, so they need to
provision more channels for data rather then TV.

> Thanks, yes your reply makes more sense to me than the retailer's
> explanation.
>
> One other question, if you want a wireless connection to a laptop, or a
> second connection to a second desktop computer, Telstra can't sell you a
> router that will do this (their modem has only one outlet apparently). Does
> anyone know of a router that has 4 ports and a wireless option that is
> compatible with Telstra's high speed cable internet / modem?


Virtually any of the routers out there. I would avoid dlink if I was you however.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gary L T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005

"PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uOFZe.14294$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gary L T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43367498$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
>> TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband

> phone
>> line (ADSL) plans.

>
> What are you going to do with it the majority of the time?
>
> Also realise if you're downloading anything, it only goes as fast as the
> slowest part of the link.
> EG, if you;re downloading Toxic by Britney Spears (slurp!) through a file
> sharing application and the other guy on the other end is on 56K, you'll
> only download it at 56K.


Thanks PAM for this info. I have a wide variety of things I do on internet,
and this ties up the ordinary phone line, which doesn't always please other
members of the family! So it makes sense to me to have high speed internet
rather than paying for a second phone line, and seeing we have TC's cable
already installed on the section, I have to use this option if I want to
keep my phone with Telstra (i.e. TelstraClear are not permitted to install
ADSL when cable is present). Even just downloading the daily virus updates
from AVG takes a while now that their updates are often as large as 700 or
800k for some reason. Downloads for my firewall (Zone Alarm) are about 9Mb,
and I am now doing a Google Earth update for 11Mb which will take more than
half an hour! Incidentally, I would think that Google Earth would go a lot
better at 2Mbps rather than at dial up speed! You make a good point that
your internet download only goes as fast as the slowest part of the link,
but I guess there wouldn't be many commercial servers that send out data at
less than 2Mbps?


 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
Gary L T wrote:


> Thanks very much for these replies. I didn't realise there would be much
> difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps for upstream data. If you are not
> into gaming, would you notice the difference between 512 kbps and 128 kbps
> in many applications?


If you don't run any servers.....no. It doesn't matter.
 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
Phstpok wrote:

> I've only had a couple of queries for the help-droids, and**both*were
> quickly and easily dealt with. Maybe I got lucky, but no complaints
> about service.
>


Getting someone to answer the phone was always the hard part.

45 minutes on hold was not unusual at all.


 
Reply With Quote
 
XP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:54:14 +1200, "Gary L T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Gary L T wrote:

>
>>> Thanks very much for this reply. One retailer told me that cable high
>>> speed internet may not be not as fast as ADSL because the more people
>>> there are on cable in your street, the slower the cable internet is,
>>> because everyone in the street shares the same cable. However, with ADSL,
>>> there is apparently a dedicated port at the Exchange for each phone
>>> number, and thus ADSL is faster? Can anyone explain this for me, is it
>>> correct? I was told by Telstra that there is a dedicated internet "line"
>>> within the cable and thus cable is far superior to ADSL as far as
>>> consistent high speed goes!

>>
>> TC is right and the retailer is wrong. The RF coax cable has heaps of
>> bandwidth.
>> Telstra has fiber to their street hub cabinets and local copper coax that
>> branches off.
>> With Telstra cable the download speeds I get are always the maximum if the
>> remote site is fast enough, there seems to be no influence of contention
>> ratio effects.
>> The service is technically good but TCs support isn't great, especially
>> for
>> their usenet server.

>
>Thanks, yes your reply makes more sense to me than the retailer's
>explanation.
>
>One other question, if you want a wireless connection to a laptop, or a
>second connection to a second desktop computer, Telstra can't sell you a
>router that will do this (their modem has only one outlet apparently). Does
>anyone know of a router that has 4 ports and a wireless option that is
>compatible with Telstra's high speed cable internet / modem?
>
>Thanks, Gary
>




I have used this Cheap one with no problems..

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=337148
 
Reply With Quote
 
shannon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
XP wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:54:14 +1200, "Gary L T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>>"shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Gary L T wrote:

>>
>>>> Thanks very much for this reply. One retailer told me that cable high
>>>> speed internet may not be not as fast as ADSL because the more people
>>>> there are on cable in your street, the slower the cable internet is,
>>>> because everyone in the street shares the same cable. However, with
>>>> ADSL, there is apparently a dedicated port at the Exchange for each
>>>> phone number, and thus ADSL is faster? Can anyone explain this for me,
>>>> is it correct? I was told by Telstra that there is a dedicated internet
>>>> "line" within the cable and thus cable is far superior to ADSL as far
>>>> as consistent high speed goes!
>>>
>>> TC is right and the retailer is wrong. The RF coax cable has heaps of
>>> bandwidth.
>>> Telstra has fiber to their street hub cabinets and local copper coax
>>> that branches off.
>>> With Telstra cable the download speeds I get are always the maximum if
>>> the remote site is fast enough, there seems to be no influence of
>>> contention ratio effects.
>>> The service is technically good but TCs support isn't great, especially
>>> for
>>> their usenet server.

>>
>>Thanks, yes your reply makes more sense to me than the retailer's
>>explanation.
>>
>>One other question, if you want a wireless connection to a laptop, or a
>>second connection to a second desktop computer, Telstra can't sell you a
>>router that will do this (their modem has only one outlet apparently).
>>Does anyone know of a router that has 4 ports and a wireless option that
>>is compatible with Telstra's high speed cable internet / modem?
>>
>>Thanks, Gary
>>

>
>
>
> I have used this Cheap one with no problems..
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=337148


ROTFL
Priceless
You just posted after you got it that the DHCP didn't work.
What happened ?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
shannon wrote:
>>I have used this Cheap one with no problems..
>>http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=337148

>
>
> ROTFL
> Priceless
> You just posted after you got it that the DHCP didn't work.
> What happened ?


he probably turned DHCP on.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
PAM. wrote:
>>I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
>>TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband

>
> phone
>
>>line (ADSL) plans.

>
>
> What are you going to do with it the majority of the time?
>
> Also realise if you're downloading anything, it only goes as fast as the
> slowest part of the link.
> EG, if you;re downloading Toxic by Britney Spears (slurp!) through a file
> sharing application and the other guy on the other end is on 56K, you'll
> only download it at 56K.


FWIW probably slower, 56K modems are generally only 34K upstream
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
steve wrote:
>>I am interested to hear from people who use high speed internet whether
>>TelstraClear's cable plans would be preferable to Telecom's broadband
>>phone line (ADSL) plans.

>
>
> TelstraClear's offering is better. Once it's in and working you'll have few
> problems - based on my own several years of experience with them. You can
> have a static IP, too...making it easy to run your own servers and the 512k
> upstream is HUGE for online game playing....and you can even host the games
> from your house.
>
> However - Their customer service system is crap.....and has been ever since
> they dismantled Saturn.
>
> The only phone company more arrogant than Telecom NZ would have to be
> Telstra - which is TC's parent company.
>
> But go cable - you (probably) won't regret it.


The other big advantage of TelstraClear over Telecom NZ that no one has
mentioned yet is the fact you can get broadband from TelstraClear
without a requirement to purchase a landline from them. Unlike Telecom
where to get DSL you must purchase a phoneline from them which is going
to cost ~$35 extra per month

This gives you other options, such as using VoIP - like the iTalk
service from Slingshot www.italk.co.nz at $10/month with an 09 number
and free local calling and 5c/min calling to quite a lot of places
around the globe.

My 2c

Cheers
Nathan
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSL internet connection & high speed internet . Nancy Cisco 1 06-26-2009 01:54 PM
future of high-speed cable modems? Midnight Java Junkie ASP .Net 0 06-20-2004 06:58 AM
USB High Speed against USB Non High Speed DannyD1355 Computer Support 1 09-07-2003 02:59 AM



Advertisments