Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD burning speed vs quality

DVD burning speed vs quality

Rob J

says...
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 04:04:17 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >>Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
> >>readable.

> >I just tested one of the very first DVDs I ever did and there was no
> >change, no deterioration at all. This was burnt just over a year ago.

> I wish I were as fortunate as you. I am going thru 9 months of
> burnings and so far most are defective.
>
> Once I started using the NEC 3540, all the discs are good. I burned
> the same collection of blanks used with the Sony and they are OK.
>
> I have no choice but to conclude that the Sony was defective, at least
> in terms of those discs, some of which were Fuji-branded.
>
> As soon as I get rid of the old blanks on one-time viewing projects, I
> am sticking with Verbatim 16x burned at 8x with the NEC 3540. Those
> should last a lifetime.
>
> Sam's Club has 16x Verbatims (MCC 03RG20 which have been thoroughly
> tested by CDFreaks) for a little over $40 per 100. That's an
> incredible bargain for 16x DVD +/-R discs, especially considering the
> high quality of Verbatim Mitsubishi media.

The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.

I have a Sony DRU720A. I checked out all the reviews for this model
before buying it. There are far fewer errors produced than some of the
BTCs and Samsungs and the like that people seem to fall over themselves
to buy just because they're cheap.

GraB

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:33:52 +1200, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...

>> >I just tested one of the very first DVDs I ever did and there was no
>> >change, no deterioration at all. This was burnt just over a year ago.

>> I wish I were as fortunate as you. I am going thru 9 months of
>> burnings and so far most are defective.
>>
>> Once I started using the NEC 3540, all the discs are good. I burned
>> the same collection of blanks used with the Sony and they are OK.
>>
>> I have no choice but to conclude that the Sony was defective, at least
>> in terms of those discs, some of which were Fuji-branded.
>>
>> As soon as I get rid of the old blanks on one-time viewing projects, I
>> am sticking with Verbatim 16x burned at 8x with the NEC 3540. Those
>> should last a lifetime.
>>
>> Sam's Club has 16x Verbatims (MCC 03RG20 which have been thoroughly
>> tested by CDFreaks) for a little over $40 per 100. That's an
>> incredible bargain for 16x DVD +/-R discs, especially considering the
>> high quality of Verbatim Mitsubishi media.

>The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
>quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.
>
>I have a Sony DRU720A. I checked out all the reviews for this model
>before buying it. There are far fewer errors produced than some of the
>BTCs and Samsungs and the like that people seem to fall over themselves
>to buy just because they're cheap.

It seems that it is important to have the latest available firmware
for the Sony DVD burners. Is it your experience with the Mit/Verb
discs being 'patchy'? Common experience seems to indicate otherwise.
But it also seems you have to match the media to your burner. Some
media give excellent results on one burner but mediocre on another.
Find what works best with your burner.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:33:52 +1200, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> >says...

> >> I wish I were as fortunate as you. I am going thru 9 months of
> >> burnings and so far most are defective.
> >>
> >> Once I started using the NEC 3540, all the discs are good. I burned
> >> the same collection of blanks used with the Sony and they are OK.
> >>
> >> I have no choice but to conclude that the Sony was defective, at least
> >> in terms of those discs, some of which were Fuji-branded.
> >>
> >> As soon as I get rid of the old blanks on one-time viewing projects, I
> >> am sticking with Verbatim 16x burned at 8x with the NEC 3540. Those
> >> should last a lifetime.
> >>
> >> Sam's Club has 16x Verbatims (MCC 03RG20 which have been thoroughly
> >> tested by CDFreaks) for a little over $40 per 100. That's an
> >> incredible bargain for 16x DVD +/-R discs, especially considering the
> >> high quality of Verbatim Mitsubishi media.

> >The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
> >quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.
> >
> >I have a Sony DRU720A. I checked out all the reviews for this model
> >before buying it. There are far fewer errors produced than some of the
> >BTCs and Samsungs and the like that people seem to fall over themselves
> >to buy just because they're cheap.

> It seems that it is important to have the latest available firmware
> for the Sony DVD burners. Is it your experience with the Mit/Verb
> discs being 'patchy'? Common experience seems to indicate otherwise.
> But it also seems you have to match the media to your burner. Some
> media give excellent results on one burner but mediocre on another.
> Find what works best with your burner.

I read the reviews. I use Datalifeplus CD-R and CD-RW discs. The reviews
of these are always good. The same kind of reviews of their DVD media
are quite uneven by comparison.

I only have a few Imation DVD+RW discs that I use here for backups, the
drive gets used more for playback than it does for burning DVD discs.

GraB

>> >The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
>> >quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.
>> >
>> >I have a Sony DRU720A. I checked out all the reviews for this model
>> >before buying it. There are far fewer errors produced than some of the
>> >BTCs and Samsungs and the like that people seem to fall over themselves
>> >to buy just because they're cheap.

>> It seems that it is important to have the latest available firmware
>> for the Sony DVD burners. Is it your experience with the Mit/Verb
>> discs being 'patchy'? Common experience seems to indicate otherwise.
>> But it also seems you have to match the media to your burner. Some
>> media give excellent results on one burner but mediocre on another.
>> Find what works best with your burner.

>I read the reviews. I use Datalifeplus CD-R and CD-RW discs. The reviews
>of these are always good. The same kind of reviews of their DVD media
>are quite uneven by comparison.
>
>I only have a few Imation DVD+RW discs that I use here for backups, the
>drive gets used more for playback than it does for burning DVD discs.

I use Mitsubishi 4x DVD+RW discs for data backing up. When I scan
those after a burn with KProbe2 they come out as good as any DVD+R I
have tested.

Bob

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:33:52 +1200, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
>quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.

That goes against the comments of CDFreaks. It is second in a survey,
with Taiyo Yuden first. The rest are not even close.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146146

Taiyo Yuden: 266 votes (58%)
Verbatim: 88 votes (19%)
Ritek: 27 (6%)
Ricoh: 16 (3%)
Maxell: 16 (3%)

>I have a Sony DRU720A.

Now I know why you are having problems with Verbatim. Sony is a piece
of total crap.

--

Greatest Movie Line Ever
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

"What is history but the story of how politicians have
squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
--Thomas Sowell

Bob

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:05:42 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It seems that it is important to have the latest available firmware
>for the Sony DVD burners.

Sony doesn't support its burners, so you can't get the latest
firmware.

> Is it your experience with the Mit/Verb discs being 'patchy'?

Notice that the OP offered no explanation of what he meant by
"patchy". But I know what he means because we had a Sony burner and
now most of the discs we burnt won't work. I have to redo about 50
discs.

>Common experience seems to indicate otherwise.

Yeah, the CDFreaks indicate otherwise. But they are smart enough not
to use Sony burners.

>But it also seems you have to match the media to your burner.

There is no media match for defective burners.

--

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:58:25 +1200, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>the drive gets used more for playback than it does for burning DVD discs.

That's because it is a Sony, which is no good for burning DVDs.

--

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:13:56 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use Mitsubishi 4x DVD+RW discs for data backing up. When I scan
>those after a burn with KProbe2 they come out as good as any DVD+R I
>have tested.

Can KProbe2 be used with a burner other than LiteOn, eg, NEC 3540?

How does it compare with Nero's "CD-DVD Speed" Scan utility?

--

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:40:14 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bob) wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:13:56 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I use Mitsubishi 4x DVD+RW discs for data backing up. When I scan
>>those after a burn with KProbe2 they come out as good as any DVD+R I
>>have tested.

>Can KProbe2 be used with a burner other than LiteOn, eg, NEC 3540?
>
>How does it compare with Nero's "CD-DVD Speed" Scan utility?

It was made to work with Lite-On drives and is more informative than
the Nero one, which I used to use. EG: I had some Laser DVD-R discs
that passed with the Nero scan but when tested with KProbe2 had a
totally unacceptable amount of errors:

Laser -R (SKC) 4x
PI 976.1
PIF 107.7

Taiyo Yuden +R 8x
PI 5.75
PIF 0.13

PI = Parity Inner
PIF = Parity Inner Failure

PI errors are the average per 8 blocks
PIF are the average per block

280 PI errors and 4 PIFs are considered acceptable, so you can see how
bad the Laser disc is compared to the Taiyo Yuden, even though the PC
can still read them (but my standalone can't without problems).

The KProbe2 site has a list of alternatives for non-Lite-On drives.

Rob J

says...
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:33:52 +1200, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The quality of Mitsubishi/Verbatim CDRs may be without question. The
> >quality of their DVD media has been at best patchy.

> That goes against the comments of CDFreaks. It is second in a survey,
> with Taiyo Yuden first. The rest are not even close.
>
> http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146146
>
> Taiyo Yuden: 266 votes (58%)
> Verbatim: 88 votes (19%)
> Ritek: 27 (6%)
> Ricoh: 16 (3%)
> Maxell: 16 (3%)
>
> >I have a Sony DRU720A.

> Now I know why you are having problems with Verbatim. Sony is a piece
> of total crap.

The only crap referred to in this post are your claims. I have never
burned any Verbatim media except CD-R and CD-RW, with which I have
experienced no problems.

I have never experienced any problems with Sony optical drives. We have
a suite of 30 PCs at work fitted with Sony CD-RW drives, which have
given no trouble at all. I have two Sony drives at home, a CRX230EE CDRW
drive and the DRU720A, and another DRU720A and CRX320 CDRW/DVDROM at
work, none of which has been any trouble whatsoever.