Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD burning speed vs quality

DVD burning speed vs quality

Bob

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 04:04:17 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
>>readable.

>I just tested one of the very first DVDs I ever did and there was no
>change, no deterioration at all. This was burnt just over a year ago.

I wish I were as fortunate as you. I am going thru 9 months of
burnings and so far most are defective.

Once I started using the NEC 3540, all the discs are good. I burned
the same collection of blanks used with the Sony and they are OK.

I have no choice but to conclude that the Sony was defective, at least
in terms of those discs, some of which were Fuji-branded.

As soon as I get rid of the old blanks on one-time viewing projects, I
am sticking with Verbatim 16x burned at 8x with the NEC 3540. Those
should last a lifetime.

Sam's Club has 16x Verbatims (MCC 03RG20 which have been thoroughly
tested by CDFreaks) for a little over $40 per 100. That's an
incredible bargain for 16x DVD +/-R discs, especially considering the
high quality of Verbatim Mitsubishi media.

Nevertheless, even though the CDFreaks tests were with a 3540 at 16x,
I am going to play it safe and burn at 8x. What's a few more minutes
in background when having the discs last is important.

--

Greatest Movie Line Ever
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

"What is history but the story of how politicians have
squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
--Thomas Sowell

Alpha

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:27:36 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bob) wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:20:21 +0100, "Atropos"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I have found that not burning disks at the advertised speed - (and not
>>>using
>>>the latest firmware) can have crappy results.

>>Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
>>readable.

> I just tested one of the very first DVDs I ever did and there was no
> change, no deterioration at all. This was burnt just over a year ago.

I have discs that are four-five years old. They all play (of course they
were 2x back then).

Atropos

> I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
> crap.

First burner I had was a Sony. All the burns I did from that are f*cked.
None of them will rip and freeze up.(not after 6 months, not 6 weeks, but 6
seconds)

Went straight for a Pioneer 107 and never looked back.

billh

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:26:17 +0100, "Atropos"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Wait 3 months and find out that most of the discs you burned are not
>>> readable.

>>They are after 12 months....so?

> You are lucky. We had a Sony/LiteOn burner that we used to burn
> FujiFilm 8x DVD -R discs at 8x and now most of them are unreadable.
>
> When we discovered that Sony would not support the burner (it wasn't
> even listed as a product) and LiteOn said to go to Sony for support,
> we returned it and got an NEC 3540, which does burn discs reliably.
>
> I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
> crap.
>
> I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
> crap.
>
> I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
> crap.
>
> I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
> crap.
>
> I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
> crap.
>
> [Repitition in hopes it is picked up by spiders.]
>

> --
>
> Greatest Movie Line Ever
> http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv
>
> "What is history but the story of how politicians have
> squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
> --Thomas Sowell

Sony, IMO, is a company that is living on its reputation gained 30 yrs ago
with its Trinitron TVs. I also think their current stuff is not worth the
price and avoid it.
billh

Andrew Gerald

> Went straight for a Pioneer 107 and never looked back

I also have a Pioneer 107 and 108. I find the 108 isn't quite as good
in terms of reading DVD's, not quite as fast as the 107 and sometimes
has trouble reading DVD's which the 107 reads fine.

I thought it might just be my unit but I heard that the 109 is even
worse, though I've never tried one myself. Has anyone come across this
before?

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:47:09 GMT when I remembered (E-Mail Removed)
(Bob) saying something like this:

>I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
>crap.

I dunno, I've got one of their stereos, and it's been going well for
the last 5 years.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Kristofer Clayton

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:47:09 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bob) wrote:

>I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
>crap.

I'll take a double helping of that. Everything I've purchased made by
Sony in the last couple of years has either been unreliable or just
died. Including a PlayStation 2.
--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

Bob

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:26:42 +0100, "Atropos"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
>> crap.

>First burner I had was a Sony. All the burns I did from that are f*cked.
>None of them will rip and freeze up.(not after 6 months, not 6 weeks, but 6
>seconds)

We got about 50% coasters. Most of those which played at the time they
were burned won't play today. That covers a period of between 3 months
and 9 months ago.

The irony is that our Sony was a LiteOn, which is supposed to be a
good drive. However, I believe Sony buggered the firmware which caused
it to screw up.

This isn't the first time I have run into problems with Sony products.
My son bought the burner without consulting. I hope he learned his
lesson because he has over 100 discs that won't play now.

>Went straight for a Pioneer 107 and never looked back.

That is one of the top five units when I conducted a survey on these
forums a while back.

I went with the NEC 3540 because it is more widely supported by the CD
Freak community. I am running LD 1.W5 firmware, which defeats Riplock,
and now I can read a video disc at 16x. With Riplock on, the best I
could read a video disc was 4x.

--

Greatest Movie Line Ever
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

"What is history but the story of how politicians have
squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
--Thomas Sowell

Bob

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:32:26 -0400, "billh"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sony, IMO, is a company that is living on its reputation gained 30 yrs ago
>with its Trinitron TVs. I also think their current stuff is not worth the
>price and avoid it.

Sony owns the broadcast market with their component video technology.
They are in consumer electronics only because they have the money from
broadcast. They need to get out of consumer electronics.

When I was in broadcast I bought a Trinitron and it was defective. I
had to argue with the local rep for days before he would bring me a
replacement, which did work properly. He said I should have gotten the
box with the green dot because that was Sony's code for working units.
If the box did not have a green dot, then it was not a working unit.
But rather than recall them Sony let customers deal with it.

Pricks.

--

Greatest Movie Line Ever
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

"What is history but the story of how politicians have
squandered the blood and treasure of the human race?"
--Thomas Sowell

Bob

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:27:38 +1200, Waylon Kenning
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>I will never again buy anything from Sony no matter what. Sony is pure
>>crap.

>I dunno, I've got one of their stereos, and it's been going well for
>the last 5 years.

It's pretty hard to screw up a stereo.