Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Integrity of MSWord files

Integrity of MSWord files

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

I want to transfer MSWord files to another computer to access a
laser printer. Acrobat is not available.

I understand that when MSWord files are opened on another
computer the default setting of the client machine take precedence.
This almost always leads to altered formatting and possible font
substitution.

I accept it may be necessary to pre- load some fonts to avoid
font substitution.

Is there a way of forcing a client computer to comply with the
formatting of the original document ?

Peter

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> I want to transfer MSWord files to another computer to access a
> laser printer. Acrobat is not available.

It would really be easy to do this with pdf files. There are free pdf
writers available, such as
http://www.cutepdf.com/

HTH

Peter

Crash

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> I want to transfer MSWord files to another computer to access a
> laser printer. Acrobat is not available.
>
> I understand that when MSWord files are opened on another
> computer the default setting of the client machine take precedence.
> This almost always leads to altered formatting and possible font
> substitution.
>
> I accept it may be necessary to pre- load some fonts to avoid
> font substitution.
>
> Is there a way of forcing a client computer to comply with the
> formatting of the original document ?

The problem with this is that the facilities on the other computer may make this
impossible:

1) Font problems - particularly if there are two different versions of Windows
involved.
2) Differing release levels of WORD.
3) Style names used that do not exist on the other machine or are defined
differently.

If the two machines are networked then it would be far better to make the
printer available to the original computer where the documents were written.

HTH
Crash.

Steve Marshall

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

> Is there a way of forcing a client computer to comply with the
>formatting of the original document ?

Try:
1. embedding the fonts in the document before transferring it to the
new machine and
2. transferring the template (.DOT), along with the document file

That will probably help preserve the look of the document on the new
machine.

But even if you were to install the laser printer on the old machine,
you'd find that the document would look different, due only to
selecting a different printer to print the document.

cheers
Steve

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

Peter:

Tks for prompt reply.

Can you confirm that the pdf writer you suggested will handle
100-150 pp documents with many images and not alter original
formatting ?

Does cutepdf provide for alternative colour options, that is for
files to be saved with either CMYK or RGB options ?

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

Steve:

Tks for suggestions.

Try:
>1. embedding the fonts in the document before transferring it to the
>new machine and

before I posted the original query I tried searching Word help
for information on embedding fonts, but not information was
forthcoming.

Steve Marshall

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

>before I posted the original query I tried searching Word help
>for information on embedding fonts, but not information was
>forthcoming.

In Word97 -- Tools, Options, Save, Embed TT Fonts.

N.Oway

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> I want to transfer MSWord files to another computer to access a
> laser printer. Acrobat is not available.

Open Word document with OpenOffice and Export to PDF

Gordon

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:49:09 +1200, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

> I want to transfer MSWord files to another computer to access a
> laser printer. Acrobat is not available.
>
> I understand that when MSWord files are opened on another
> computer the default setting of the client machine take precedence.
> This almost always leads to altered formatting and possible font
> substitution.
>
> I accept it may be necessary to pre- load some fonts to avoid
> font substitution.
>
> Is there a way of forcing a client computer to comply with the
> formatting of the original document ?

A fine example of why we need open file formats.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> Is there a way of forcing a client computer to comply with the
> formatting of the original document ?

you can embed the fonts at the point of saving... it makes the files
much larger, but it works.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.