Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > .prn files and usb deskjet printer XP and 98SE

.prn files and usb deskjet printer XP and 98SE

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

1] Under XP I can print .prn files from the command prompt to a HP
Laserjet printer using the following command line:

C:\windows\system32\print C:\path\filename.prn

When I attempt to print to a USB deskjet, the DOS box reports
that the file is being printed, but nothing happens at the printer.
Power is on, plenty of paper, and newly installed cartridge.

Any suggestions or solutions?

2] Under 98SE I cannot find any combination of command line that
will cause either the laserjet or deskjet printer to print a document

Any suggestions or solutions?

Richard

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> 2] Under 98SE I cannot find any combination of command line that
> will cause either the laserjet or deskjet printer to print a document
>
> Any suggestions or solutions?

Find the port name in the printers properties and just copy the .prn file to it.

I would like to know how to do the same to an ethernet connected printer now
that I have all the printers on a printserver

XP

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:08:13 +1200, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

>1] Under XP I can print .prn files from the command prompt to a HP
>Laserjet printer using the following command line:
>
> C:\windows\system32\print C:\path\filename.prn
>
> When I attempt to print to a USB deskjet, the DOS box reports
>that the file is being printed, but nothing happens at the printer.
>Power is on, plenty of paper, and newly installed cartridge.
>
> Any suggestions or solutions?
>
>2] Under 98SE I cannot find any combination of command line that
>will cause either the laserjet or deskjet printer to print a document
>
> Any suggestions or solutions?

DOS does not suppoter USB..

Richard

XP wrote:

> DOS does not suppoter USB..

So its a good thing that the OP isnt trying to use dos to do what they want.

EMB

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> 1] Under XP I can print .prn files from the command prompt to a HP
> Laserjet printer using the following command line:
>
> C:\windows\system32\print C:\path\filename.prn
>
> When I attempt to print to a USB deskjet, the DOS box reports
> that the file is being printed, but nothing happens at the printer.
> Power is on, plenty of paper, and newly installed cartridge.
>
> Any suggestions or solutions?

The print.exe command is a hangover from old DOS days and (AFAIK) will
only direct output to LPT1: so you're probably out of luck with the USB
printer.

> 2] Under 98SE I cannot find any combination of command line that
> will cause either the laserjet or deskjet printer to print a document

AIUI if they are hanging off LTP1: they should work as the syntax and
workings of print.exe is basically unchanged from DOS 3.x thru to
Windows XP.

Otherwise copy c:\path\filename.prn lpt1:
should work.

--
EMB

Martin

> Find the port name in the printers properties and just copy the .prn file

to it.

> I would like to know how to do the same to an ethernet connected printer

now
> that I have all the printers on a printserver

net use lpt1: \\servername\printername

copy c:\filename.prn lpt1:

(-;

Richard

Martin wrote:
>>Find the port name in the printers properties and just copy the .prn file

> to it.
>
>>I would like to know how to do the same to an ethernet connected printer

> now
>
>>that I have all the printers on a printserver

> net use lpt1: \\servername\printername
>
> copy c:\filename.prn lpt1:
>
> (-;

Its not a windows server sharing a printer, its an ethernet to parallel and an
ethernet to usb box.

The ports show in the printers dialog as IP_192.168.1.200 - copying to that
makes a file called the same thing.

Harry

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

> 1] Under XP I can print .prn files from the command prompt to a HP
> Laserjet printer using the following command line:
>
> C:\windows\system32\print C:\path\filename.prn
>
> When I attempt to print to a USB deskjet, the DOS box reports
> that the file is being printed, but nothing happens at the printer.
> Power is on, plenty of paper, and newly installed cartridge.
>
> Any suggestions or solutions?

Printing to USB is not supported under DOS.

> 2] Under 98SE I cannot find any combination of command line that
> will cause either the laserjet or deskjet printer to print a document
>
> Any suggestions or solutions?

Printing to USB is not supported under DOS.

To print to the laserjet, go to Printer xxxropertiesetails:Capture Printer
and assign LPT1 to the laserjet. Then from DOS you can do "print xxx".

Under DOS all printing goes to LPT1 by default.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Richard wrote:
> I would like to know how to do the same to an ethernet connected printer
> now that I have all the printers on a printserver

same...
copy file.prn \\servername\printername

from memory...

--