Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Just Orcon or all UBS?

Just Orcon or all UBS?

~misfit~

I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month (my
"anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is 4 days!

On the 16th...

****! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my session
had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!! What a balls-up of
a page.

Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12 times
starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that has been
going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about 8 times instead
of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had about 60 connections this
month. That's two a day average!! For an "Always on" service?

Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of UBS?

BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy user.
--
~misfit~

-=rjh=-

~misfit~ wrote:
> I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month (my
> "anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is 4 days!
>
> On the 16th...

Same here, but hey, I had a connection for 11 days back in August. On
the bright side, IP addresses aren't changing

> ****! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my session
> had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!! What a balls-up of
> a page.
>
> Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12 times
> starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that has been
> going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about 8 times instead
> of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had about 60 connections this
> month. That's two a day average!! For an "Always on" service?

Maybe they should be charging per connection. On the 16th I was
reconnected about 6 times, ranging from early morning to late afternoon.

> Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of UBS?

Looks the same here on Orcon. I doubt it has anything to do with usage,
maybe Seeby will update us as to the situation.

> BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy user.

Chris Hope

~misfit~ wrote:

> I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month (my
> "anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is 4
> days!
>
> On the 16th...
>
> ****! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my
> session had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!! What
> a balls-up of a page.
>
> Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12
> times starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that
> has been going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about 8
> times instead of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had about
> 60 connections this month. That's two a day average!! For an "Always
> on" service?
>
> Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of
> UBS?
>
> BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy
> user.

I've only been disconnected from IHUG very rarely. There's no usage page
for me to look at (I'm on a unlimited plan) but I know when it goes
offline, and can check my server login history for IP address changes
to see when the disconnection happens (I get a different IP address
after each connection).

Interestingly I've lost my connection 3 times today but was online
without disruption prior to that since the 1st of August.

~misfit~

-=rjh=- wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month
>> (my "anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is
>> 4 days! On the 16th...

> Same here, but hey, I had a connection for 11 days back in August. On
> the bright side, IP addresses aren't changing

Woot! 11days! You lucky sod.

So what if IP's aren't changing? It's not like you could run even a
semi-reliable 'server' on this connection.

>> ****! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my
>> session had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!!
>> What a balls-up of a page.
>>
>> Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12
>> times starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that
>> has been going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about
>> 8 times instead of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had
>> about 60 connections this month. That's two a day average!! For an
>> "Always on" service?

> Maybe they should be charging per connection. On the 16th I was
> reconnected about 6 times, ranging from early morning to late
> afternoon.
>>
>> Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of
>> UBS?

> Looks the same here on Orcon. I doubt it has anything to do with
> usage, maybe Seeby will update us as to the situation.
>

>> BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy
>> user.

Funny thing; I hit 'send' on this then checked my email and saw I was SETI
user of the day for today. Went to go to the SETI site for a squizz and
couldn't get there. Looked at my router and saw the ADSL light was orange
instead of green. I rang Orcon's helldesk (or tried to) five times in the
next ten minutes, got an engaged signal every time. Had to resort to
watching TV for a while. <shudder>

I've just signed up for Orcon tolls. They sure as hell better run that
better than they do their UBS. Can you imagine having your phone down for
hours on end or at random times as well? I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom
of that move now.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Chris Hope wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I've just checked my usage page on Orcon's site and for this month
>> (my "anniversary" is tommorow) the longest I've stayed connected is 4
>> days!
>>
>> On the 16th...
>>
>> ****! I just went back to the usage page and I was logged out as my
>> session had timed out and now there's no way I can get back in!!!
>> What a balls-up of a page.
>>
>> Anyway, on the 16th this month I was dis- and re- connected about 12
>> times starting at 5:15am or so until about 7am. This is a trend that
>> has been going on all month. This morning the same thing, only about
>> 8 times instead of 12 and about an hour later. All up I have had
>> about 60 connections this month. That's two a day average!! For an
>> "Always on" service?
>>
>> Is anyone else seeing this, with Orcon or with any other flavour of
>> UBS?
>>
>> BTW, total usage for the month is 3GB both ways, not exactly a heavy
>> user.

> I've only been disconnected from IHUG very rarely. There's no usage
> page for me to look at (I'm on a unlimited plan) but I know when it
> goes offline, and can check my server login history for IP address
> changes to see when the disconnection happens (I get a different IP
> address after each connection).

Ok. Is that UBS? I guess all ADSL plans (except Xtra's) are now huh?

> Interestingly I've lost my connection 3 times today but was online
> without disruption prior to that since the 1st of August.

Wow! That's a good track-record. Yeah, I didn't even know about the
disconnects this morning when I checked the Orcon site. I was looking to see
about my ordered change-over to 2MB and Orcon tolls. I ordered it over a
week ago and the guy said something about tolls would change over in a day
or so and ADSL on my anniversary, that it would be confirmed by email. I
haven't got any email and my anniversary is tomorrow so I was just checking
their site to see if I could find anything out. (I couldn't). That's when I
noticed all the 5-7am outages for the month. I didn't look at previous
months, maybe I should.

As it satnds I don't know if I'm on Orcon tolls or Telecom. Pretty rat-****
of Orcon not to let me know what's going on I think.

I may have to give them a call, hope I don't get the engaged signal again.
--
~misfit~

Stu Fleming

~misfit~ wrote:

> So what if IP's aren't changing? It's not like you could run even a
> semi-reliable 'server' on this connection.

What's the quoted availability of the connection?

Craig Shore

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:47:53 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Wow! That's a good track-record. Yeah, I didn't even know about the
>disconnects this morning when I checked the Orcon site. I was looking to see
>about my ordered change-over to 2MB and Orcon tolls. I ordered it over a
>week ago and the guy said something about tolls would change over in a day
>or so and ADSL on my anniversary, that it would be confirmed by email. I
>haven't got any email and my anniversary is tomorrow so I was just checking
>their site to see if I could find anything out. (I couldn't). That's when I
>noticed all the 5-7am outages for the month. I didn't look at previous
>months, maybe I should.

Check what your modem says, perhaps it's just the Orcon logging that's
incorrect.

I'm on ihug. My last disconnection was 3 days ago, but then there was no power
here (snow in Chrischurch city took the power out in this suburb). Before that I
think it remained connected since I switched over on the 1st of September

Chris Hope

~misfit~ wrote:

[snip]

>> I've only been disconnected from IHUG very rarely. There's no usage
>> page for me to look at (I'm on a unlimited plan) but I know when it
>> goes offline, and can check my server login history for IP address
>> changes to see when the disconnection happens (I get a different IP
>> address after each connection).

> Ok. Is that UBS? I guess all ADSL plans (except Xtra's) are now huh?

Yep.

>> Interestingly I've lost my connection 3 times today but was online
>> without disruption prior to that since the 1st of August.

> Wow! That's a good track-record. Yeah, I didn't even know about the
> disconnects this morning when I checked the Orcon site.

I can track my disconnects because I'm permanantly logged into my server
online (apart from when I get disconneted!), so I can see when I was
cut off using the `last` command. I can't go back beyond July 5th as
that's when I replaced the server, so my previous disconnect was at
some point before then.

[snip]

~misfit~

Stu Fleming wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> So what if IP's aren't changing? It's not like you could run even a
>> semi-reliable 'server' on this connection.

> What's the quoted availability of the connection?

Really hard to say. It's not specifically mentioned in the T&C so I guess
that means whatever they want to give me. The only things that are slightly
relevant are:

"4.2 Our service does not cover: Problems in your computer, communication
equipment, your software (except for software provided by us) your phone
line or any other part of the Internet not forming part of our network. In
addition to this you are not covered if you use the service incorrectly or
due to any other event beyond our reasonable control."

and:

"6. Speed of Services
6.1 You acknowledge that any claims made about speed of service are best
effort peaks and not guarantees. Speed claims are line speeds only and no
guarantees are made for national and international traffic, or any
particular type of traffic.
6.2 Latency is not guaranteed, but should remain below 1000ms one-way across
the line only. There are no jitter guarantees."

The whole thing is at:

http://orcon.net.nz/help/terms/42800/

In their general terms:

http://orcon.net.nz/help/terms/general/

There is this:

"3.4. Except as specifically outlined herein, we make no warranties or
conditions, express or implied, including the implied warranties or
conditions of merchantability, quality and fitness for a particular purpose
relating to our service or the service of any other service provider.
Further we disclaim any liability or responsibility arising from any claim
that your access or use of the service or any other provider's service or
products infringes any third party's intellectual property rights."

So basically they're saying that they aren't guaranteeing that the
connection will be usable for anything?
--
~misfit~