Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Multimedia keyboard

Multimedia keyboard

Andrew

I have a microsoft multimedia keyboard here at work with my linux
workstation..

Ive had a quick browse around the interweb this morning looking for the
method to enable the multimedia buttons to work with linux
Namely xmms controls, Couldnt really care less about the rest, However i
could find some use for them

Is there a really simple process?
Ive found that i can run a program called xev to get keystroke events,
But im really not sure what to do with them

so far ive learnt that volume up is keystroke 176 and volume down is 174
Just gotta translate that into actually changing the volume up and down..

Allistar

Andrew wrote:

> I have a microsoft multimedia keyboard here at work with my linux
> workstation..
>
> Ive had a quick browse around the interweb this morning looking for the
> method to enable the multimedia buttons to work with linux
> Namely xmms controls, Couldnt really care less about the rest, However i
> could find some use for them
>
> Is there a really simple process?
> Ive found that i can run a program called xev to get keystroke events,
> But im really not sure what to do with them
>
> so far ive learnt that volume up is keystroke 176 and volume down is 174
> Just gotta translate that into actually changing the volume up and down..

Try one of these links:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/node/9028
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-5672373.html
http://www.zdnetasia.com/toolkits/0,...094244p,00.htm
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1896734
http://groups.google.com/group/linux...&start=1&num=3

Hope this helps.

Allistar.

Harry

Andrew wrote:

> I have a microsoft multimedia keyboard here at work with my linux
> workstation..
>
> Ive had a quick browse around the interweb this morning looking for the
> method to enable the multimedia buttons to work with linux
> Namely xmms controls, Couldnt really care less about the rest, However i
> could find some use for them
>
> Is there a really simple process?
> Ive found that i can run a program called xev to get keystroke events,
> But im really not sure what to do with them
>
> so far ive learnt that volume up is keystroke 176 and volume down is 174
> Just gotta translate that into actually changing the volume up and down..

Start by looking at:

man dumpkeys
man loadkeys
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard
and /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/*

Then there is X11:

xkbcomp
xkbprint
xmodmap
setxkbdmap

etc etc

To turn a keyboard event into an action you need either a program
that translates events into actions or use your window manager to
do it (if its configuration allows for it).