Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > "They want to storm the Bastille, not live in Versailles."

"They want to storm the Bastille, not live in Versailles."

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Interesting BusinessWeek feature
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/toc/05_39/B3952magazine.htm> on
the recent staff exits at Microsoft, and some signs that the company may
be taking its eye off the ball in terms of customer focus. The article
at <http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_39/b3952001.htm>
shows many indications of the company's growing complacency (Ballmer:
"We won the desktop. We won the server. We will win the Web. We will
move fast, we will get there. We will win the Web.") and increasing
concentration on protecting its turf rather than on genuinely innovating
(being thrashed by Salesforce.com in the CRM market).

By the way, the title quote comes from one of the many people who left
Microsoft to go to work on something more interesting.