Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wireless for Dummies

Wireless for Dummies

Squirrel

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:48:51 +1200, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Squirrel wrote:
>> Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has
>> wireless, says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband
>>
>> Thanx
>>
>> Squirrel
>>

>have you got a wireless access point? or a wireless broadband router? or
>just the xtra Dlink modem?

the latter, one output, got to scrape 160 together for multiple port.

Squirrel

Squirrel

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:52:31 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:48:51 +1200, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Squirrel wrote:
>>> Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has
>>> wireless, says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband
>>>
>>> Thanx
>>>
>>> Squirrel
>>>

>>have you got a wireless access point? or a wireless broadband router? or
>>just the xtra Dlink modem?

>LOL

It is rude to laugh at the inenlightened lol

Squirrel

Squirrel

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:14:42 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:31:22 +1200, Squirrel wrote:
>
>> Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has wireless,
>> says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband
>>
>> Thanx
>>
>> Squirrel

thanx shane, god more sex on the telly, can you hear it from your
place?

Squirrel

>find a hotspot
>http://www.netstumbler.org/
>
>download a cracker
>http://wepcrack.sourceforge.net/
>
>cracking
>http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article118.php
>http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article120.php
>
>more cracking
>http://www.securityfocus.org/infocus/1814
>http://www.securityfocus.org/infocus/1824
>

>And when you are caught by mr plod. can I borrow your laptop

Squirrel

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:58:34 +1200, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Squirrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Any sites please how to access, set up and run. New Laptop has
>> wireless, says it is not connected. I am with Xtra Broadband

>Depends on your hardware etc...
>
>Basically, the access point/router and the dongle/wifi card on your PC have
>to be setup the same for security etc. ie: If WEP is turned on, on the
>router/AP then itll have to be turned on at the PC as well and stuff like
>that....
>Ive only played with 2 Wifi setups and got both working fine with a little
>bit of playing without manuals

jesus what ever happened to plug and play!! Anyone wanna buy a
laptop, too damn flash for this dullite, but the free MP3 player is
excellent lol

Squirrel

Mercury

you mean wpa-psk.
mind you a naff idiot password on most systems won't keep people out
forlong.

news:4330fe40$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shane wrote:
>
>> But lets be honest, your average wardriver is looking for the low hanging
>> fruit, and the number of times I have set up a wireless network, only to
>> discover I was flooded with unencrypted networks means that most networks
>> would be protected purely by switching ON the encryption methods

> WPA is very vunerable if the passphrase is a stupid one, as you can get a
> small number of frames and crack it offline, whereas WEP you have to
> hammer the AP with dupe frames untill you get enough encryption vectors to
> use the vunerability. If you have good signal to the AP it can be as
> little as 10 mins, but if you dont it can take a lot longer being onsite
> and the wlan is being hammered so will be slow for anyone using it while
> you are doing it.
>
> WPA is less secure if you dont take care choosing the key. I *hear of one
> being* cracked that had something like p455w0rd as the key....
>
> Best solution is to put the wireless downstream of the firewall and VPN
> into your network if you need to access it, same as you would from the
> internet.

nup wpa with 802.11x

XPD

"Squirrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> jesus what ever happened to plug and play!! Anyone wanna buy a
> laptop, too damn flash for this dullite, but the free MP3 player is
> excellent lol

LOL
I know, PnP is a thing of the past
My Amiga was more PnP than todays PC's

SNOman

Squirrel wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:52:31 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:48:51 +1200, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>have you got a wireless access point? or a wireless broadband router? or
>>>just the xtra Dlink modem?

>>LOL

> It is rude to laugh at the inenlightened lol
>
> Squirrel

Well you made no mention on whether you were trying to get this running
at home with your wired broadband setup or if you specifically meant
trying to use your laptop via a wifi hotspot then you should have said so.

Getting wifi going at home is childs play.

Bret

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:22:27 +1200, Squirrel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:52:31 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:48:51 +1200, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>have you got a wireless access point? or a wireless broadband router? or
>>>just the xtra Dlink modem?

>>LOL

>It is rude to laugh at the inenlightened lol
>
>Squirrel

So do you have an access point?

Alastair .geek.nz

In <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> Shane wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:39:03 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

>> Now, got any links on countermeasures against wardrivers and wep
>> crackers? -- Cheers EB

> But lets be honest, your average wardriver is looking for the low
> hanging fruit, and the number of times I have set up a wireless
> network, only to discover I was flooded with unencrypted networks
> means that most networks would be protected purely by switching ON the
> encryption methods

I have a wireless network that I need to tie down, but I'm a complete
newbie to these things.

I think I have found the relevant settings in my router, which give me
the following options:
WEP : Open System / Shared Key / WPA / WPA-PSK
WEP : Enabled / Disabled
WEP Encryption : 64 bit / 128 bit / 256 bit
Key Type : HEX / ASCII
Key1 - Key4 : There are four fields here to enter information.

Can someone give me some advice as to how I should configure these
settings and what, if anything, I need to do on my computer? This is a
home network out in the suburbs, so it doesn't have to be super-secure,
but I'd at least like to keep any nosey neighbours out of my network.

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards, Alastair.
Wellington, New Zealand

My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
posting.

Squirrel

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:13:59 +1200, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Squirrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>> jesus what ever happened to plug and play!! Anyone wanna buy a
>> laptop, too damn flash for this dullite, but the free MP3 player is
>> excellent lol

>LOL
>I know, PnP is a thing of the past
>My Amiga was more PnP than todays PC's

my cats respond more favourably to point and push Better than any
mouse

Squirrel

Development Server for Dummies =?Utf-8?B?eHN0ZXZleDE=?= ASP .Net 4 11-02-2004 12:07 PM
Wireless Network Security for Dummies, Please =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBUQ0k=?= Wireless Networking 10 11-01-2004 09:57 AM
MCSD for dummies? valko MCSD 3 09-21-2004 11:25 PM
ASP.NET for Dummies vs. Sams Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 24 Hours Bill Tomlin ASP .Net 0 01-31-2004 12:38 PM
Caching for dummies moko ASP .Net 1 12-11-2003 05:56 PM

Advertisments