Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > When labour gets in will they renege on their promises?

When labour gets in will they renege on their promises?

news.xtra.co.nz

Labour were promising to toughen up on telecom - wonder if they will
unbundle? Or renege?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> Labour were promising to toughen up on telecom - wonder if they will
> unbundle? Or renege?

they said that they wouldn't unbundle in their press release on the
subject... so I'm guessing that they are just going to regulate... I'll
believe it when I see it.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:20:05 +1200 when I remembered "Dave -
Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>> Labour were promising to toughen up on telecom - wonder if they will
>> unbundle? Or renege?

>they said that they wouldn't unbundle in their press release on the
>subject... so I'm guessing that they are just going to regulate... I'll
>believe it when I see it.

So people think Labour's promises are a bit like Don's smiles, in
abundance at election time, but lacking otherwise?

Well anyways, here's looking to a better broadband service. If it
doesn't happen, I'll remember Labour three years from now.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Waylon Kenning wrote:
>>>Labour were promising to toughen up on telecom - wonder if they will
>>>unbundle? Or renege?

>>they said that they wouldn't unbundle in their press release on the
>>subject... so I'm guessing that they are just going to regulate... I'll
>>believe it when I see it.

> So people think Labour's promises are a bit like Don's smiles, in
> abundance at election time, but lacking otherwise?
> Well anyways, here's looking to a better broadband service. If it
> doesn't happen, I'll remember Labour three years from now.

like many I know, I pretty much randomly chose a couple of boxes on the
day, this year it was all far too dirty, and not very interesting...

then again... is it ever interesting?

Telecom and the local loop are damage, route around them.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Daniel

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Telecom and the local loop are damage, route around them.

Curious.

Is it possible to do this if your internet gateway is via Telecom? (or
did you mean use a different ISP?)

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Daniel wrote:
>> Telecom and the local loop are damage, route around them.

> Curious.
> Is it possible to do this if your internet gateway is via Telecom? (or
> did you mean use a different ISP?)

not possible unless you find another way out of the country...

you can route around the LL, but you still need to connect to the rest
of the country/world, I guess you could do wireless to telstra, and then
go out overseas via them, but is telstra really any better than telecom?
not from what I've read... they just don't do it here yet.

it was a tongue in cheek comment, usual internet behaviour is to route
around damage until it can be fixed... route diversity and all that
jazz. but it doesn't work if you only have a few choices, all which suck.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:17:33 +1200 when I remembered "Dave -
Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>like many I know, I pretty much randomly chose a couple of boxes on the
>day, this year it was all far too dirty, and not very interesting...
>
>then again... is it ever interesting?

I picked Labour, which made it super super interesting for me to watch
on election night, it's like a bet, and I tell ya, I thought I'd be
waking up with National on my face, but much to my surprise, Labour
gets the win (I hear on National Radio that Maori people gave Labour
their party vote not because they like Labour, but more likely because
they don't want National, and fair enough).
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Matthew Poole

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:20:05 +1200, someone purporting to be Dave -
Dave.net.nz didst scrawl:

> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>> Labour were promising to toughen up on telecom - wonder if they will
>> unbundle? Or renege?

> they said that they wouldn't unbundle in their press release on the
> subject... so I'm guessing that they are just going to regulate... I'll
> believe it when I see it.

At least they believe in regulation, and in interfering with "the market".
National won't do a bloody thing, judging by Williamson's attitude.

The worst Labour can do is leave things as they are. National could put
Webb out of a job, by abolishing his position. It's not something I would
discount from a crowd whose stance on the NZ telecommunications market is
"as little regulation as possible".

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

Kent Smith

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>> Labour were promising to toughen up on telecom - wonder if they will
>> unbundle? Or renege?

> they said that they wouldn't unbundle in their press release on the
> subject... so I'm guessing that they are just going to regulate...
> I'll believe it when I see it.

Only if they dont hit their broadband targets, which they will do by giving
it away for free if they need to, just watch.

-KENT

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Kent Smith wrote:
>>>Labour were promising to toughen up on telecom - wonder if they will
>>>unbundle? Or renege?

>>they said that they wouldn't unbundle in their press release on the
>>subject... so I'm guessing that they are just going to regulate...
>>I'll believe it when I see it.

> Only if they dont hit their broadband targets, which they will do by giving
> it away for free if they need to, just watch.

From what I had read they had about 100k to go, and it has to be there
by xmas... I think they'll be pushing to get that many to join Orcon and
the like(they can't just let them join Xtra as that was one of the
conditions)

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.