Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > pop-ups on Snopes.com

pop-ups on Snopes.com

hutch

Every time I go to Snopes.com to search for something I get an internet
blank pop-up box. I delete it, try to put words in the search space, and
before I can get the words there, the blank internet box has "popped-up"
again. It continues to do that over and over again. It is almost impossible
to get words in the Snopes search box. I have pop-up Blocker turned on in
Internet Explorer and set to the medium setting. I have Windows XP SP2.
I use Internet Explorer 6. I know that I can set Active Scripting to prevent
the pop-up on Snopes, but I hate to be asked every time I go to Snopes if I
want to to allow the web-site that I am trying to see. Anybody have another
solution?

Thanks in advance.

pcbutts1

That site is full of pop ups.

"hutch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news8Vfj.133$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every time I go to Snopes.com to search for something I get an internet
> blank pop-up box. I delete it, try to put words in the search space, and
> before I can get the words there, the blank internet box has "popped-up"
> again. It continues to do that over and over again. It is almost
> impossible
> to get words in the Snopes search box. I have pop-up Blocker turned on in
> Internet Explorer and set to the medium setting. I have Windows XP SP2.
> I use Internet Explorer 6. I know that I can set Active Scripting to
> prevent
> the pop-up on Snopes, but I hate to be asked every time I go to Snopes if
> want to to allow the web-site that I am trying to see. Anybody have
> another
> solution?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

hutch wrote:

> Every time I go to Snopes.com to search for something I get an
> internet blank pop-up box. ...

I never see popups at snopes.com (or anywhere else). But then I use
modern browsers which have their own built-in popup blockers. Try one.

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
Opera: http://www.opera.com/

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

Jerry McBride

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> hutch wrote:
>
>> Every time I go to Snopes.com to search for something I get an
>> internet blank pop-up box. ...

> I never see popups at snopes.com (or anywhere else). But then I use
> modern browsers which have their own built-in popup blockers. Try one.
>
> Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
> Opera: http://www.opera.com/

Nice tip. However, the OP and you both run windows. As I have experienced,
most if not all windows users don't apply their patches as should. There
fore, it's quite possible that the OP has an unpatched box and heavily
plagued with pop-ups of all imaginable permutations.

And yes, you are right... dump IE and go FireFox. Better yet, wht stop there
and dump windows and go linux.

--

Jerry McBride ((E-Mail Removed))

Blinky the Shark

hutch wrote:

> Every time I go to Snopes.com to search for something I get an internet
> blank pop-up box. I delete it, try to put words in the search space, and
> before I can get the words there, the blank internet box has "popped-up"
> again. It continues to do that over and over again. It is almost impossible
> to get words in the Snopes search box. I have pop-up Blocker turned on in
> Internet Explorer and set to the medium setting. I have Windows XP SP2.
> I use Internet Explorer 6. I know that I can set Active Scripting to prevent
> the pop-up on Snopes, but I hate to be asked every time I go to Snopes if I
> want to to allow the web-site that I am trying to see. Anybody have another
> solution?

No popups at Snopes here. Firefox with popups disabled and AdBlock
running.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

pcbutts1 wrote:

> That site is full of pop ups.

Never saw one there. What the heck are you browsing wiff?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

pcbutts1

IE 7 with the Google toolbar pop up blocker, a fully patched XP SP2 machine
malware and virus clean, IE 7 pop up blocker turned on. Google blocked about
6 within 2 seconds of visiting the site and I received the same blank pop up
window when clicking in the search box however it did not prevent me from
searching. The pop ups are java script by the spamming cookie tracking
casale media Comspec Communications company. They have multiple entries in
my hosts file that will block it but I don't run my hosts file on this box.

news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net...
> pcbutts1 wrote:
>
>> That site is full of pop ups.

> Never saw one there. What the heck are you browsing wiff?
>

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project - http://improve-usenet.org

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jerry McBride wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> hutch wrote:
>>> Every time I go to Snopes.com to search for something I get an
>>> internet blank pop-up box. ...

>> I never see popups at snopes.com (or anywhere else). But then I use
>> modern browsers which have their own built-in popup blockers. Try
>> one.
>>
>> Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
>> Opera: http://www.opera.com/

> Nice tip. However, the OP and you both run windows.

The OP may, but I don't.

> As I have experienced, most if not all windows users don't apply their
> patches as should. There fore, it's quite possible that the OP has an
> unpatched box and heavily plagued with pop-ups of all imaginable
> permutations.

Entirely possible.

> And yes, you are right... dump IE and go FireFox. Better yet, wht
> stop there and dump windows and go linux.

I did that some years ago.

--

pcbutts1 wrote:

> IE 7 with the Google toolbar pop up blocker, a fully patched XP SP2 machine
> malware and virus clean, IE 7 pop up blocker turned on. Google blocked about
> 6 within 2 seconds of visiting the site and I received the same blank pop up
> window when clicking in the search box however it did not prevent me from
> searching. The pop ups are java script by the spamming cookie tracking
> casale media Comspec Communications company. They have multiple entries in
> my hosts file that will block it but I don't run my hosts file on this box.

Thanks. I thought you meant you were *seeing* them all. I've never seen
any there including this search-box one y'all have been talking about.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

elaich

"pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:flphp6$7fp$(E-Mail Removed):

> IE 7 with the Google toolbar pop up blocker, a fully patched XP SP2
> machine malware and virus clean, IE 7 pop up blocker turned on.

All that, and it still can't do what Firefox does natively. And you trust
Google to block ads? LMAO.