Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Computer component Suppliers Auckland, Tauranga & Wellywood.

Computer component Suppliers Auckland, Tauranga & Wellywood.

UncleKev

Greetings

I will be back in NZ next week and I have after a bit of searching
around on the net decided on my upgrade components. My Travels will
include Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and a brief trip to Melbourne.

I have used the Super cheap Computers and the AI Computers Websites as a
guide but neither shop can completely supply all the items I have on
my wish list.

I need advice on good suppliers with shop fronts, as mail order won't
work for me here on this brief trip.

As I will be travelling to Wellington via Tauranga I can shop around a
bit and come back to the Auckland suppliers on my way back out.

My wish list is as follows

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard
I chose this MB for a future upgrade path, the Athlon 939 Socket, the 1x
(16x)PCIe, 2x (1x)PCIe, 3x PCI, 3x Firewire, 6x USB 1.1/2.0, 4 memory
slots(Dual Channel) 4x IDE, 4x SATA, and the RAID will be handy too

AMD Athlon 64 CPU Retail version socket 939

PCI Express Graphics Card
AI Computers list an Eagle GeForce 6600 16xPCI Express 3D VGA card 256MB
DDR With TV-Out DVI for $223.88 (Any other suggestions?)

2 x 512MB 400 Dual Channel Memory Sticks (comments/suggestions)

2x SEAGATE 160G 7200RPM Serial ATA150 8MB Buffer

MS X/P Pro OEM (normal ver not 64bit)

Video capture card (not a clue what yet)

1x DVD DL Re-writer (undecided)

4x USB Flash Drives

4x 3.5 Floppy Drives

1x ATX Case with 400watt(or more) PS

Extra Cables for USB & Firewire, CPU Thermal Paste 7 or tape.

Comment please

Regards Uncle Kev

shannon

UncleKev wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I will be back in NZ next week and I have after a bit of searching
> around on the net decided on my upgrade components. My Travels will
> include Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and a brief trip to Melbourne.
>
> I have used the Super cheap Computers and the AI Computers Websites as a
> guide but neither shop can completely supply all the items I have on my
> wish list.
>
> I need advice on good suppliers with shop fronts, as mail order won't
> work for me here on this brief trip.
>
> As I will be travelling to Wellington via Tauranga I can shop around a
> bit and come back to the Auckland suppliers on my way back out.
>
> My wish list is as follows
>
> Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard
> I chose this MB for a future upgrade path, the Athlon 939 Socket, the 1x
> (16x)PCIe, 2x (1x)PCIe, 3x PCI, 3x Firewire, 6x USB 1.1/2.0, 4 memory
> slots(Dual Channel) 4x IDE, 4x SATA, and the RAID will be handy too
>
> AMD Athlon 64 CPU Retail version socket 939
>
> PCI Express Graphics Card
> AI Computers list an Eagle GeForce 6600 16xPCI Express 3D VGA card 256MB
> DDR With TV-Out DVI for $223.88 (Any other suggestions?)
>
> 2 x 512MB 400 Dual Channel Memory Sticks (comments/suggestions)
>
> 2x SEAGATE 160G 7200RPM Serial ATA150 8MB Buffer
>
> MS X/P Pro OEM (normal ver not 64bit)
>
> Video capture card (not a clue what yet)
>
> 1x DVD DL Re-writer (undecided)
>
> 4x USB Flash Drives
>
> 4x 3.5 Floppy Drives
>
> 1x ATX Case with 400watt(or more) PS
>
> Extra Cables for USB & Firewire, CPU Thermal Paste 7 or tape.
>
> Comment please
>
> Regards Uncle Kev

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/

Mackin

UncleKev wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I will be back in NZ next week and I have after a bit of searching
> around on the net decided on my upgrade components. My Travels will
> include Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and a brief trip to Melbourne.
>
> I have used the Super cheap Computers and the AI Computers Websites as a
> guide but neither shop can completely supply all the items I have on
> my wish list.
>
> I need advice on good suppliers with shop fronts, as mail order won't
> work for me here on this brief trip.
>
> As I will be travelling to Wellington via Tauranga I can shop around a
> bit and come back to the Auckland suppliers on my way back out.
>
> My wish list is as follows

<snip>

Try www.ascent.co.nz They are based in wellington and will ship free
throughout NZ. They have arguably the best customer service around.

*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.

Mackin.

S Roby

>*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.

Why ???

XPD

"S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Sd8Xe.12704$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.
>>

> Why ???

Probably the usual "customer service was crap etc" yet others will claim
otherwise.....
I refuse to have anything to do with QMB computers, yet others I know swear
by them....

XP

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:53:43 +1200, Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>UncleKev wrote:
>
>> Greetings
>>
>> I will be back in NZ next week and I have after a bit of searching
>> around on the net decided on my upgrade components. My Travels will
>> include Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and a brief trip to Melbourne.
>>
>> I have used the Super cheap Computers and the AI Computers Websites as a
>> guide but neither shop can completely supply all the items I have on
>> my wish list.
>>
>> I need advice on good suppliers with shop fronts, as mail order won't
>> work for me here on this brief trip.
>>
>> As I will be travelling to Wellington via Tauranga I can shop around a
>> bit and come back to the Auckland suppliers on my way back out.
>>
>> My wish list is as follows

><snip>
>

>Try www.ascent.co.nz They are based in wellington and will ship free
>throughout NZ. They have arguably the best customer service around.
>
>*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.
>
>Mackin.

He stated NOT MAIL ORDER.

UncleKev

XPD wrote:
> "S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Sd8Xe.12704$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>>*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.
>>>

>>Why ???

> Probably the usual "customer service was crap etc" yet others will claim
> otherwise.....
> I refuse to have anything to do with QMB computers, yet others I know swear
> by them....

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

I have found the PB Technologies website useful and have downloaded
excerpts for offline inspection.

I expect I will purchase from more than one shop. Customer service won't
be a big issue as I have pretty much worked out what I want.

I have come to expect less than reliable advice from Computer shop
assistants (althought there are always exceptions to the rule).

I supose I could ask some curly questions on precautions to mitigate
damage from Typical Tropical Climate conditions 100% Humidity, Average
35 Degree Temps, Preventing Geckos from laying eggs in the PCI Slots and
will a surge protector be enough to protect my gear from the frequent
surges and brown outs from the Local Power Supply.

Regards Uncle Kev.

Mercury

> I supose I could ask some curly questions on precautions to mitigate
> damage from Typical Tropical Climate conditions 100% Humidity, Average 35
> Degree Temps, Preventing Geckos from laying eggs in the PCI Slots and will
> a surge protector be enough to protect my gear from the frequent surges
> and brown outs from the Local Power Supply.

Get a good "online" UPS.

Problem Solution

ants,
cockroaches,
etc. gecko

pesky
australians,
gecko snake

make sure the snake has just enough to eat.

using the above, we never had issues when living in the tropics.
a green tree snake is all you need. make sure your tetnis shots are up to
date since even though they aren't poisonous, you can get really nasty
infections if you **** them off. so,.... don't.

UncleKev

Mercury wrote:
>>I supose I could ask some curly questions on precautions to mitigate
>>damage from Typical Tropical Climate conditions 100% Humidity, Average 35
>>Degree Temps, Preventing Geckos from laying eggs in the PCI Slots and will
>>a surge protector be enough to protect my gear from the frequent surges
>>and brown outs from the Local Power Supply.

> Get a good "online" UPS.
>

> Problem Solution
>
> ants,
> cockroaches,
> etc. gecko
>
> pesky
> australians,
> gecko snake
>
> make sure the snake has just enough to eat.
>
> using the above, we never had issues when living in the tropics.
> a green tree snake is all you need. make sure your tetnis shots are up to
> date since even though they aren't poisonous, you can get really nasty
> infections if you **** them off. so,.... don't.

Damn the Green Snake would have been ideal particularly for those pesky
Australian Tourists >.

Unfortunately we have no land snakes on the Island and the sea snakes
are fairly rare visitors.

I do have a UPS "serial/USB", A lot of the Business PC's on the Island
don't but I have been doing my best to recommend them, the Power on the
Island is generated by large Diesels and power voltages can vary greatly.

Recently were supplied with two Liebert UPS's for work one for the new
Server (3+1 Hot swap SATA Raid 5)Windows 2003 Server (SQL Database in
development) the other work stations are using cheap Powerware UPS's.

Component price on the Island are quite expensive and choice limited e.g
Dick Smiths 56k PCI Modem $NZ75.00.

Hence my shopping list for parts in NZ.

It's Sunday here and I'm up to the Office to open up for the Computer
Supplier we are going to install a Linux Box for the Email Server/Fire
Wall. I'm not sure if he's worked out which distro he wanted to use SuSe
but may have to revert to Red Hat. The issue at the moment is the auto
hang up, Dialup is very expensive here($4.00 - $7.00 per hour) but not
quite as bad as the ISDL at $800 - $1100 per month.

Regards Uncle Kev

John

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:27:52 +1200, XP wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:53:43 +1200, Mackin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>UncleKev wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> I will be back in NZ next week and I have after a bit of searching
>>> around on the net decided on my upgrade components. My Travels will
>>> include Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and a brief trip to Melbourne.
>>>
>>> I have used the Super cheap Computers and the AI Computers Websites as a
>>> guide but neither shop can completely supply all the items I have on
>>> my wish list.
>>>
>>> I need advice on good suppliers with shop fronts, as mail order won't
>>> work for me here on this brief trip.
>>>
>>> As I will be travelling to Wellington via Tauranga I can shop around a
>>> bit and come back to the Auckland suppliers on my way back out.
>>>
>>> My wish list is as follows

>><snip>
>>

>>Try www.ascent.co.nz They are based in wellington and will ship free
>>throughout NZ. They have arguably the best customer service around.
>>
>>*DO NOT* buy from SuperCheap.
>>
>>Mackin.

> He stated NOT MAIL ORDER.

Ascent also sells direct to customers from their premises.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/about.asp

Regards,
John.