Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > First unofficial X1800 benchmarks

First unofficial X1800 benchmarks

Daniel

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1813.1

If these numbers are correct for the October release (even taking into
account a minor margin for error), then wait for the ATI stock price to
go down (again), and perhaps a few more class action suits.

Disappointing.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Daniel wrote:
> http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1813.1
> If these numbers are correct for the October release (even taking into
> account a minor margin for error), then wait for the ATI stock price to
> go down (again), and perhaps a few more class action suits.

> Disappointing.

it stands it's ground against the Nvidia parts, and performs better than
the old part... wheres the problem?
Remember when Nvidia launched the first Geforce cards? the TNT2 kicked
it's arse in quite a few benchmarks.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Daniel

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> it stands it's ground against the Nvidia parts, and performs better than
> the old part... wheres the problem?

I kinda expected more to be honest.

Performance-wise I was hoping the X1800 numbers would be somewhat better.

Personally, I don't think the X1800 XT stands up that well vs 7800 GTX,
especially as ATI have already had a few months to prepare their new
flagship card. I realise the X1800's have less pipes - for what that's
worth. NVIDIA have already sold a lot of 7800's, so I'm guessing they
won't mind a little price war starting next month.
However, since ATI have already priced the X1800 ahead of the 7800
anyhow, I don't see NVIDIA losing any sleep.
Plus, it would appear that the X1800 XT is a double slot solution.

> Remember when Nvidia launched the first Geforce cards? the TNT2 kicked
> it's arse in quite a few benchmarks.

Hopefully, there's more performance headroom in there for the X1800's.
Also, the 24pp and 32pp versions may appear in October as well.

Just that - there's no compelling reason to buy a more expensive X1800
over a 7800 if given a choice.

ATI can always start a price war, but, like I said NVIDIA probably have
more room to move in that department than ATI. Although, it would be
great news for the consumer.

At this stage of the game, too little, too late IMHO. Round 1 to NVIDIA
(well Round 2 actually, Round 1 was when ATI missed the release date
several times).

I know - wait until next month when they're officially released.

I'm waiting

Daniel

Daniel wrote:
> http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1813.1
>
> If these numbers are correct for the October release (even taking into
> account a minor margin for error), then wait for the ATI stock price to
> go down (again), and perhaps a few more class action suits.
>
> Disappointing.

Would appear that ATI are not to happy with Mr Sassen's pre-launch
benchmarks (which may be incorrect anyhow):-

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=152
http://news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-R...sis-8780.shtml

October will be an interesting time for the gfx card industry.