Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 7 flavours of Vista, but which ones are 64 bit?

7 flavours of Vista, but which ones are 64 bit?

Harry

Steve H wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:45:43 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:50:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>>><(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>>>So, your 64 bit OSS OS doesn't have to run any old 32 bit apps?

>> Correct. The apps can be recompiled from source to become pure 64-bit.

> sure sure
>
> because everybody knows that porting form 32 -> 64 bit is as simple as
> flicking a compiler flag.

Not exactly.

Constructs like "int i = ~(1<<31)" wont
necessarily produce the expected result in a number of situations.
There are plenty of other examples.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Bling-Bling wrote:
>>PS I think your digging your own grave on this 64 bit issue again.

> "Your digging"??
> Who was talking about archeology?

ahhh, once again blingy has run out of arguement... he's moved to
picking on spelling errors.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Jennings

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:04:59 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:00:56 +1200, Jennings wrote:
>
>> PS I think your digging your own grave on this 64 bit issue again.

> "Your digging"??
>
> Who was talking about archeology?
>

> Bling Bling

Your trying to make a mountain out of a moll hill ... as per usual.

Jennings

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:07:08 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>[You're] just like lennier, you seem to base your fanatical views on some
>>tiny subset of linux , and turn that into some massive generalization of
>>how great linux is.

> I'm not a vicarious see-no-touch Linux spectator, picking up my
> conclusions from how many good or bad experiences I can read about in
> the forums. Like I said, I use Linux myself, and I support clients who
> use it, every day. These clients deploy it in mission-critical
> situations, revenue-earning situations--situations where it has to work,
> or else. These clients know they can rely on Linux to pull them through,
> because I say so, and they depend on me.

You can play dress up with it any way you like, but a happy 64 bit path
for gentoo is still a long way off going by the feed back in the forums
and help channels.

I also doubt that the average gentoo user is some lennier / noob that
doesn't know what they are doing either. Gentoo would have the longest
learning curve of all the distro`s combined.

Finally guys like you are also the cause of the huge gulf that exists
between what Linux as a OS is capable of delivering, versus what the
people really need in a OS with hardware / software / driver /support /
documentation.

Which is where Bill gates has you beat every turn you make.

J.

Jennings

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:26:34 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Bling-Bling wrote:
>>>PS I think your digging your own grave on this 64 bit issue again.

>> "Your digging"??
>> Who was talking about archeology?

> ahhh, once again blingy has run out of arguement... he's moved to
> picking on spelling errors.

Aye ....

But Blings windows knowledge is pretty much ancient Egypt material.

J.

shannon

Jennings wrote:

> Finally guys like you are also the cause of the huge gulf that exists
> between what Linux as a OS is capable of delivering, versus what the
> people really need in a OS with hardware / software / driver /support /
> documentation.

Just another nasty ad hominem cheapshot.
Geeks like Laurence have no influence on the likes of Michael Robertson and
Linspire, which is no threat to Microsoft.

Jennings

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:32:07 +1200, shannon wrote:

> Jennings wrote:
>

>> Finally guys like you are also the cause of the huge gulf that exists
>> between what Linux as a OS is capable of delivering, versus what the
>> people really need in a OS with hardware / software / driver /support /
>> documentation.
>>

> Just another nasty ad hominem cheapshot.
> Geeks like Laurence have no influence on the likes of Michael Robertson and
> Linspire, which is no threat to Microsoft.

Do i take the cash ....

Or do i go for door number 3 ...

Ill take door number 3 thnx ..

J waits .... My prize is ... oh dear gawd ...

its the booby prize turnip head .

shannon

Jennings wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:32:07 +1200, shannon wrote:
>
>> Jennings wrote:
>>

>>> Finally guys like you are also the cause of the huge gulf that exists
>>> between what Linux as a OS is capable of delivering, versus what the
>>> people really need in a OS with hardware / software / driver /support /
>>> documentation.
>>>

>> Just another nasty ad hominem cheapshot.
>> Geeks like Laurence have no influence on the likes of Michael Robertson
>> and Linspire, which is no threat to Microsoft.

> Do i take the cash ....
>
> Or do i go for door number 3 ...
>

> Ill take door number 3 thnx ..
>

> J waits .... My prize is ... oh dear gawd ...
>

> its the booby prize turnip head .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hog

Harry

Jennings wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:07:08 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>

>>>[You're] just like lennier, you seem to base your fanatical views on
>>>[some
>>>tiny subset of linux , and turn that into some massive generalization of
>>>how great linux is.

>> I'm not a vicarious see-no-touch Linux spectator, picking up my
>> conclusions from how many good or bad experiences I can read about in
>> the forums. Like I said, I use Linux myself, and I support clients who
>> use it, every day. These clients deploy it in mission-critical
>> situations, revenue-earning situations--situations where it has to work,
>> or else. These clients know they can rely on Linux to pull them through,
>> because I say so, and they depend on me.

> You can play dress up with it any way you like, but a happy 64 bit path
> for gentoo is still a long way off going by the feed back in the forums
> and help channels.
>
> I also doubt that the average gentoo user is some lennier / noob that
> doesn't know what they are doing either. Gentoo would have the longest
> learning curve of all the distro`s combined.
>

> Finally guys like you are also the cause of the huge gulf that exists
> between what Linux as a OS is capable of delivering, versus what the
> people really need in a OS with hardware / software / driver /support /
> documentation.
>
> Which is where Bill gates has you beat every turn you make.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Linux is developed through voluntary effort whereas Windows is developed
with the backing of enormous amounts of cash.

Considering the vaste differences in funding I would have to say
that Windows *should* be 100 times better - but it isn't.

You need to give credit where credit is due.

Chris Hope

Harry wrote:

[snip]

>> Which is where Bill gates has you beat every turn you make.

> You are comparing apples and oranges.
>
> Linux is developed through voluntary effort whereas Windows is
> developed with the backing of enormous amounts of cash.
>
> Considering the vaste differences in funding I would have to say
> that Windows *should* be 100 times better - but it isn't.
>
> You need to give credit where credit is due.

Linux isn't *just* developed through voluntary effort though. Companies
like IBM and RedHat contribute a lot towards Linux development.

One base and many flavours Ravion Java 3 11-07-2007 08:43 AM
how 2 allow new record but not editing existing ones PaulNaude ASP .Net Datagrid Control 0 12-06-2005 09:09 AM
Hard drives--Are big ones more delicate than smaller ones? PowerPost2000 Computer Support 2 03-01-2005 10:30 PM
The DVD Recoder for Kiwi's, but ones with Money. William Bell NZ Computing 56 11-28-2004 07:21 PM
cd drive not recognizing commercial cds but reads burned ones fine Sharon V Computer Support 7 09-12-2004 10:47 PM

Advertisments