Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 7 flavours of Vista, but which ones are 64 bit?

7 flavours of Vista, but which ones are 64 bit?

-=rjh=-

I haven't seem any reference to 64 bitness in any of the media
"coverage" of this.

Anyone know? Not that I'm racing out to buy it, I was just wondering...

news.xtra.co.nz

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I haven't seem any reference to 64 bitness in any of the media "coverage"
>of this.
>
> Anyone know? Not that I'm racing out to buy it, I was just wondering...

doesn't matter at this stage really.

Nathan Mercer

No official announcements yet. but its likely they all will be

Cheers
Nathan

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I haven't seem any reference to 64 bitness in any of the media
>>"coverage" of this.
>>
>>Anyone know? Not that I'm racing out to buy it, I was just wondering...

>No official announcements yet. but its likely they all will be

I think that should be qualified as "they all will be to some extent".
The reality of 64-bit Dimdows is that it is still mostly running 32-bit
code, and migrating to full 64-bit is going to be a very difficult,
costly and drawn-out chicken-and-egg problem.

Unlike, for instance, 64-bit Open Source operating systems, which are
already running almost entirely 64-bit code.

Rob J

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:50:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I haven't seem any reference to 64 bitness in any of the media
>>>"coverage" of this.
>>>
>>>Anyone know? Not that I'm racing out to buy it, I was just wondering...

>>No official announcements yet. but its likely they all will be

>I think that should be qualified as "they all will be to some extent".
>The reality of 64-bit Dimdows is that it is still mostly running 32-bit
>code, and migrating to full 64-bit is going to be a very difficult,
>costly and drawn-out chicken-and-egg problem.
>
>Unlike, for instance, 64-bit Open Source operating systems, which are
>already running almost entirely 64-bit code.

So, your 64 bit OSS OS doesn't have to run any old 32 bit apps?

Bling-Bling

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:20:47 +1200, Rob J wrote:

>>Unlike, for instance, 64-bit Open Source operating systems, which are
>>already running almost entirely 64-bit code.

> So, your 64 bit OSS OS doesn't have to run any old 32 bit apps?

You make a statement about somebody else's software, and then
pretend its a question by appending a question mark.

Kindly phrase it as a question or stop telling people about their
own stuff.

Bling Bling

--
Windows is a bonfire, Linux is the sun. Linux only looks smaller if you lack
perspective.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:50:19 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
><(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>> "Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>No official announcements yet. but its likely they all will be

>>I think that should be qualified as "they all will be to some extent".
>>The reality of 64-bit Dimdows is that it is still mostly running 32-bit
>>code, and migrating to full 64-bit is going to be a very difficult,
>>costly and drawn-out chicken-and-egg problem.
>>
>>Unlike, for instance, 64-bit Open Source operating systems, which are
>>already running almost entirely 64-bit code.

>So, your 64 bit OSS OS doesn't have to run any old 32 bit apps?

Correct. The apps can be recompiled from source to become pure 64-bit.

Bling-Bling

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:45:43 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>So, your 64 bit OSS OS doesn't have to run any old 32 bit apps?

> Correct. The apps can be recompiled from source to become pure 64-bit.

Also, it is possible for a Linux system to ship with both 64bit AND 32bit
libraries, so that either can be used for when in the position of not
being able to get a 64bit version - such as when using a proprietary
software product.

Bling Bling

--
Windows is a bonfire, Linux is the sun. Linux only looks smaller if you lack
perspective.

Jennings

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:45:29 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:20:47 +1200, Rob J wrote:
>
>>>Unlike, for instance, 64-bit Open Source operating systems, which are
>>>already running almost entirely 64-bit code.

>> So, your 64 bit OSS OS doesn't have to run any old 32 bit apps?

Not having a 64 bit of a office product i would presume would be
a major concern for company`s moving to 64 bit ?

You only have to look in the gentoo forums to find the huge number of
people really un-happy with the drama the 64 bit path will give you.
A lot of folks just dont see the shortfalls justifiable in moving to 64
bit.

> You make a statement about somebody else's software, and then pretend
> its a question by appending a question mark.
>
> Kindly phrase it as a question or stop telling people about their own
> stuff.
>

> Bling Bling

"Kindly phrase it as a question or stop telling people about their own
stuff." > that should be the bling quote for the Year !

PS I think your digging your own grave on this 64 bit issue again.

J.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:45:29 +1200 when I remembered
Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>Kindly phrase it as a question or stop telling people about their
>own stuff.

Breaking the rules of usenet is he?
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

One base and many flavours Ravion Java 3 11-07-2007 08:43 AM
how 2 allow new record but not editing existing ones PaulNaude ASP .Net Datagrid Control 0 12-06-2005 09:09 AM
Hard drives--Are big ones more delicate than smaller ones? PowerPost2000 Computer Support 2 03-01-2005 10:30 PM
The DVD Recoder for Kiwi's, but ones with Money. William Bell NZ Computing 56 11-28-2004 07:21 PM
cd drive not recognizing commercial cds but reads burned ones fine Sharon V Computer Support 7 09-12-2004 10:47 PM

Advertisments