Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Email to text broadcast

Email to text broadcast

BTMO

Folks,

I need some great ideas. I have a need to send bulk text messages (NOT
spam - it is all work related!) about once per week to a group of up to a
couple of hundred people - perhaps more. Unsure at this stage.

I want to send the messages from a PC, with a *very* simple interface (I
won't be entering most of the messages, and I certainly won't be maintaining
the list of users), and I it to have the ability to manage the user list -
so different messages can be sent to different sub-user groups.

I want to be able to send texts to people on both the vodafone and telecom
networks seamlessly.

I want to pay for the tool, and I want to pay for each text sent (it is
after all a business use) - though obviously at the lowest price possible.

I think that is all I want at this stage...

Does anyone know of a commerical tool (or a bloody good free one) that will
do what I want?

If I think of anything else I need, I'll let you know.

Feel free to email me (my btmo address is live) if you are uncomfortable
about touting your wares in a newsgroup...

I contacted Telecom and Vodafone - so far Telecom wants to sell me something
that would cost more than the operating budget for my department, and
vodafone haven't bothered responding... so I am looking forward to hearing
what is out there!

Cheers,

Brenton

Harry

BTMO wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I need some great ideas. I have a need to send bulk text messages (NOT
> spam - it is all work related!) about once per week to a group of up to a
> couple of hundred people - perhaps more. Unsure at this stage.
>
> I want to send the messages from a PC, with a *very* simple interface (I
> won't be entering most of the messages, and I certainly won't be
> maintaining the list of users), and I it to have the ability to manage the
> user list - so different messages can be sent to different sub-user
> groups.
>
> I want to be able to send texts to people on both the vodafone and telecom
> networks seamlessly.
>
> I want to pay for the tool, and I want to pay for each text sent (it is
> after all a business use) - though obviously at the lowest price possible.
>
> I think that is all I want at this stage...
>
> Does anyone know of a commerical tool (or a bloody good free one) that
> will do what I want?
>
> If I think of anything else I need, I'll let you know.
>
> Feel free to email me (my btmo address is live) if you are uncomfortable
> about touting your wares in a newsgroup...
>
> I contacted Telecom and Vodafone - so far Telecom wants to sell me
> something that would cost more than the operating budget for my
> department, and vodafone haven't bothered responding... so I am looking
> forward to hearing what is out there!

It is so simple.
Get a Linux box, install gnokii (and others) as email/sms gateways,
and send your stuff.

BTW you need a mobile phone too (LOL)!

Next question.

SNOman

BTMO wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I need some great ideas. I have a need to send bulk text messages (NOT
> spam - it is all work related!) about once per week to a group of up to a
> couple of hundred people - perhaps more. Unsure at this stage.
>
> I want to send the messages from a PC, with a *very* simple interface (I
> won't be entering most of the messages, and I certainly won't be maintaining
> the list of users), and I it to have the ability to manage the user list -
> so different messages can be sent to different sub-user groups.
>
> I want to be able to send texts to people on both the vodafone and telecom
> networks seamlessly.
>
> I want to pay for the tool, and I want to pay for each text sent (it is
> after all a business use) - though obviously at the lowest price possible.
>
> I think that is all I want at this stage...
>
> Does anyone know of a commerical tool (or a bloody good free one) that will
> do what I want?
>
> If I think of anything else I need, I'll let you know.
>
> Feel free to email me (my btmo address is live) if you are uncomfortable
> about touting your wares in a newsgroup...
>
> I contacted Telecom and Vodafone - so far Telecom wants to sell me something
> that would cost more than the operating budget for my department, and
> vodafone haven't bothered responding... so I am looking forward to hearing
> what is out there!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brenton

http://www.message-media.co.nz/email.html

BTMO

"SNOman" <> wrote

>> I need some great ideas. I have a need to send bulk text messages (NOT
>> spam - it is all work related!) about once per week to a group of up to a
>> couple of hundred people - perhaps more. Unsure at this stage.
>>
>> I want to send the messages from a PC, with a *very* simple interface (I
>> won't be entering most of the messages, and I certainly won't be
>> maintaining the list of users), and I it to have the ability to manage
>> the user list - so different messages can be sent to different sub-user
>> groups.
>>
>> I want to be able to send texts to people on both the vodafone and
>> telecom networks seamlessly.
>>
>> I want to pay for the tool, and I want to pay for each text sent (it is
>> after all a business use) - though obviously at the lowest price
>> possible.

> http://www.message-media.co.nz/email.html

Yeah, I saw that one when I was doing my homework before posting. Thanks
though!!

Do you have any first hand experience with them, esp. price?

I *will* be emailing them for details, but was hoping to get more a few more
options...

Cheers,

Brenton