Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > D Brash goes for a free trade agreement with the US

D Brash goes for a free trade agreement with the US

Mutlley

XP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:31:46 +1200, SNOman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>thing2 wrote:
>>> So, a vote for National could well mean we end up accepting the IP laws
>>> from the USA, how stupid can he get.....not to mention nuclear powered
>>> ships....
>>>
>>> Can you say small NZ companies screwed over real fast by bloated US
>>> companies, fast enough......?
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Thing
>>>

>>What utter crap!
>>
>>If it 'ever' (and I mean ever) got to that then he said that he would
>>let the NZ public decide by holding a referendum and thereby listening
>>to the NZ public (which Clark has never done on any other referendum).
>>Clarks position is that she knows best and is not even prepared to
>>holding referendum to get the publics opinion.

>But do you know what is Best..?
>

>I don't think so..

I think I do . I would rather decide than nanny state which is what
has happened over the past 6 years..

Joy

"XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:44:00 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>"thing2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> So, a vote for National could well mean we end up accepting the IP laws
>>> from the USA, how stupid can he get.....not to mention nuclear powered
>>> ships....
>>>
>>> Can you say small NZ companies screwed over real fast by bloated US
>>> companies, fast enough......?
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Thing
>>>

>>Nuke powered ships are great.
>>
>>Dunno about those ip laws.
>>

> Some one forgot to tell you he might put up GST to pay for his promised
> Tax
> cuts..
>
> This Man can not be trusted..

I don't think we can trust any of them. Helen lied on numerours occasions
and besides that Labour has squeezed our personal freedoms while at the same
time liberating the sexual degenerates of our society.
Joy

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Personally I've been pretty happy Aus dived in before us. I'm far from
> convinced the gains of a pseudo FTA with the US outweigh the losses.
> I'm quite happy to see how it pans out for Aus
>
> ...tom

Typically a Free Trade Agreement with the US means this: The US has the
right to dump all their crap (and good stuff) on the other country. The
other country, unfortunately, will still face quotas and tarrifs since
there is no way the US government will be prepared to not protect the US
workers and farmers. Go ask the Canadians and the Mexicans if you don't
believe me.
Any politician who tries to sell me anything else, is not votable for
i.m.o. since (s)he is obviously a naive git. This is not even a question
of faith (like a lot of 'economic models', but something that can easily
be checked against facts. (Oh, damn, I've used the 'f' word. I'll be
starting to tell people to go back to their playstation next).

-Peter

XP

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:34:34 +1200, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>SNOman wrote:
>> thing2 wrote:
>>
>>> So, a vote for National could well mean we end up accepting the IP
>>> laws from the USA, how stupid can he get.....not to mention nuclear
>>> powered ships....
>>>
>>> Can you say small NZ companies screwed over real fast by bloated US
>>> companies, fast enough......?
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Thing
>>>

>> What utter crap!
>>
>> If it 'ever' (and I mean ever) got to that then he said that he would
>> let the NZ public decide by holding a referendum and thereby listening
>> to the NZ public (which Clark has never done on any other referendum).
>> Clarks position is that she knows best and is not even prepared to
>> holding referendum to get the publics opinion.

>I never said he would not hold a referendum, what I did say was that
>like OZ we could find that we end up accepting US IP laws as part of the
>"free trade" agreement, and as OZ companies seem to be, homegrown NZ IT
>companies could suffer. So Apple growers or lamb exporters may win his
>ear more than IT companies and may loose out.
>
>regards
>
>Thing

And no more Gray Imports and US copyright laws, it goes on & on..

XP

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:14:22 +1200, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> Personally I've been pretty happy Aus dived in before us. I'm far from
>> convinced the gains of a pseudo FTA with the US outweigh the losses.
>> I'm quite happy to see how it pans out for Aus
>>
>> ...tom

>Typically a Free Trade Agreement with the US means this: The US has the
>right to dump all their crap (and good stuff) on the other country. The
>other country, unfortunately, will still face quotas and tarrifs since
>there is no way the US government will be prepared to not protect the US
>workers and farmers. Go ask the Canadians and the Mexicans if you don't
>believe me.
>Any politician who tries to sell me anything else, is not votable for
>i.m.o. since (s)he is obviously a naive git. This is not even a question
>of faith (like a lot of 'economic models', but something that can easily
>be checked against facts. (Oh, damn, I've used the 'f' word. I'll be
>starting to tell people to go back to their playstation next).

No the PSP is taking over

>-Peter

XP

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:10:55 +1200, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>What utter crap!
>>>
>>>If it 'ever' (and I mean ever) got to that then he said that he would
>>>let the NZ public decide by holding a referendum and thereby listening
>>>to the NZ public (which Clark has never done on any other referendum).
>>>Clarks position is that she knows best and is not even prepared to
>>>holding referendum to get the publics opinion.

>>But do you know what is Best..?
>>

>>I don't think so..
>>

>I think I do . I would rather decide than nanny state which is what
>has happened over the past 6 years..

I don't thing you do, as you don't understand all the consequences of what
will happen, plus you will never be told that, as National will cover that
up..

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:13:48 +1200 when I remembered "Joy"

>I don't think we can trust any of them. Helen lied on numerours occasions
>and besides that Labour has squeezed our personal freedoms while at the same
>time liberating the sexual degenerates of our society.

I believe those kind of bills are conscience votes.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

TomV

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:13:48 +1200, "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't think we can trust any of them. Helen lied on numerours occasions
>and besides that Labour has squeezed our personal freedoms while at the same
>time liberating the sexual degenerates of our society.

I'm not quite sure what specific personal freedoms you've lost, but
the liberating sexual degenerates line reminded of an excellent
comment about last years US election, that has become scarily
appropriate to some of the debate in NZ about this election

http://philosoraptor.blogspot.com/20...59717903683060

or

http://tinyurl.com/7cw5e

I particularly like

"Itís never been clear to me how sensible conservatives can get along
with the neo-puritans on the religious right. And itís never been
clear to me what weird, perverse views about sex motivate the
religious rightís stark, raving phobia of it."

....tom

(followups set to nz.politics)

GraB

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:37:33 +1200, XP
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:44:00 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>"thing2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> So, a vote for National could well mean we end up accepting the IP laws
>>> from the USA, how stupid can he get.....not to mention nuclear powered
>>> ships....
>>>
>>> Can you say small NZ companies screwed over real fast by bloated US
>>> companies, fast enough......?
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Thing
>>>

>>Nuke powered ships are great.
>>
>>Dunno about those ip laws.
>>

>Some one forgot to tell you he might put up GST to pay for his promised Tax
>cuts..
>
>This Man can not be trusted..

There is no free lunch. Tax cuts mean you will pay somewhere else.

Tim

What you say that seems fairly accurate. There is a heck of a lot more wrong
with it than that of course.

While I would prefer DB to HC, these are the big flaws in National's
sometimes brain dead policies. Economically, I have little doubt that NZ
would boom under DB - so long as these other policies don't get anywhere. So
many say that economic good precludes social good. You can't pay for
hospitals, police etc. without tax = profits.

NZ has succeeded in the last few years only because HC & Michael Cullen have
refrained from doing anything tooo stupid. They have done some stupid things
(EG MC having anything to do with fiscal policy, tax etc), nanny state,
completely failing to have a viable forward plan on energy policies (lucky I
have a UPS), not restraining the extreme green policies (a little green is
OK, but you don't get a Green party formed by moderates - they are
extremists). Labour laws are diabolical. There are so many business held
back by bad employees that won't move and can't be pushed that it is holding
up business and social good. Recently I experienced a very large
organisation that is riddled with about 10% ineptitude - the rest of the
staff just have to be good team players and suck on it - they are good. The
impact is devastating in this case.

I would prefer the risk and vote National than the risks that Labour has -
way too much nanny state. Another labour government will be almost an
endorsement / authorisation for extreme labour policies - that's really
dangerous.

If National looked like it was going to implement anything daft (EG FTA
without the US first dropping *all* its own protectionism and equalising
things first), then I will be first to chain myself across parliaments
doors.

US trade policy is like Bush's polarising 'You are either for us or against
us' policies - dividing the world into Pro-US and everyone else that likes
freedom above subjugation (including Cuba). These poicies are being
propagated by large US companies....

news:(E-Mail Removed) .co.nz...