Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Woosh VoIP

Woosh VoIP

Richard

Philip wrote:
> Woosh launched a VoIP service, so does it mean they solved their
> latency problem?
>
> http://www.woosh.com/ContentClient/P...nePricing.aspx
>
> It's really expensive, especially compared with www.italk.co.nz or
> www.sipserve.co.nz. $20 to $25 on top of their required data plans,
> compared with about $10 for italk and sipserve.

Very little information from them.

Cant compare with italk/sipserve as they have control over the layer3 and below
so can ensure it works properly whereas 3rd party providors are at the whim of
your ISP, also the woosh voice call wont count against the usage, which is a
good thing considering how low there caps are on there service.

What I would like is if they would tell you what that weird looking thing they
have the modem sitting in is, its connecting to the routers socket and theres no
mention I could find of its connectivity to the PCs for the internet connection,
or even if that weird looking thing is even involved in the internet connection.

I was hoping to be able to plug a woosh modem into an asterisk box and configure
it with SIP or IAX and be done, but it looks like you must get there damn
hardware. They do offer a softphone option with what looks like xlite on there
screens so it _may_ be possible. I dont really want there internet connection,
just the option for more lines into the place without contributing to telecom,
and I cant use VOIP over the ADSL as its too slow as it is with 3 people using
it heavily

Alastair .geek.nz

In <43293628$(E-Mail Removed)> -=rjh=- wrote:

> Richard wrote:

>> Because he is on prepay so paying the casual rate most likly

> That's right; that's why I said "equivalent". I know I'm not really
> being fair to Vodaphone in that comparison, but for casual use their
> rates are insane. I think that they are probably a real disincentive
> for getting the market to adopt new usage habits - so much for the
> "knowledge economy" (and how much has *that* phrase featured in the
> run up to these elections?)

If you're using a prepaid phone, then you've only got yourself to blame
for the fact that you're getting ripped off.

The problem with prepaid phone connections is that they appeal mainly to
teenagers, as they are too young to apply for credit and therefore can't
be offered a billed account. The fact that teenagers are inexperienced
at managing their finances, coupled with the fact that prepaid
connections do not offer any regular statement, makes it easy for the
phone companies to get away with selling GPRS, ringtones, news bulletins,
games, etc. at astronomicallly high prices.

--
Regards, Alastair.
Wellington, New Zealand

My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
posting.

Richard

Alastair .geek.nz wrote:

> If you're using a prepaid phone, then you've only got yourself to blame
> for the fact that you're getting ripped off.
>
> The problem with prepaid phone connections is that they appeal mainly to
> teenagers, as they are too young to apply for credit and therefore can't
> be offered a billed account. The fact that teenagers are inexperienced
> at managing their finances, coupled with the fact that prepaid
> connections do not offer any regular statement, makes it easy for the
> phone companies to get away with selling GPRS, ringtones, news bulletins,
> games, etc. at astronomicallly high prices.

Prepay also suits people that want to get a phone for incoming calls only for
example selling things in the T&E - I used to have 4 or 5 sim cards that I would
rotate thru as I was selling things. I would put one in after not using it for 2
months and then get innundated with texts from people asking if the computer was
still for sale etc despite it being in the one 3 weeks prior to them texting.
Thankfully trademe has eliminated that requirement (Also T&E wouldnt print
"calls only, no texts" beside the number)

The ringtones for sale from vodafone themselves are just taking advantage of
people too lazy or stupid to find them on the internet and beam them across via
IR or bluetooth, and there new lo-fi overpriced music store is something that
has everyone I know scratching there heads wondering why the hell...

Aaron Lawrence

At that very moment, Alastair .geek.nz turned to nz.comp and said
> Where did you get that figure from? Vodafone's data pricing is here:
> http://tinyurl.com/97w8e
> According to this, 1Gb should cost you $150 + GST.

If you're prepared to always pay $150 per month, regardless of whether
you use it.
--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Alastair .geek.nz

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Aaron Lawrence wrote:

> At that very moment, Alastair .geek.nz turned to nz.comp and said

>> Where did you get that figure from? Vodafone's data pricing is here:
>> http://tinyurl.com/97w8e
>> According to this, 1Gb should cost you $150 + GST.

> If you're prepared to always pay $150 per month, regardless of whether
> you use it.

Any with any telecommunications service, you need to judge what plan is
most cost effective for your requirements. There are a range of GPRS
plans for people to choose from, but the 1Gb plan is there as an option
for those who require it.

--
Regards, Alastair.
Wellington, New Zealand
www.alastair.geek.nz

My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
posting.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Alastair .geek.nz wrote:
>>Footnote - if Woosh can offer a 3G service for $40/GB, why do I have
>>to pay the equivalent of $10,000/GB for GPRS access through my
>>cellphone?

> Where did you get that figure from? Vodafone's data pricing is here:
> http://tinyurl.com/97w8e
> According to this, 1Gb should cost you $150 + GST.

and even then, they say it is unlimited, and they wont charge you
anymore than the 150... I was tempted to use it for a full time net
connection.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the 15 Sep 2005 22:16:52 +1200 when I remembered Alastair
..geek.nz <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>The problem with prepaid phone connections is that they appeal mainly to
>teenagers, as they are too young to apply for credit and therefore can't
>be offered a billed account. The fact that teenagers are inexperienced
>at managing their finances, coupled with the fact that prepaid
>connections do not offer any regular statement, makes it easy for the
>phone companies to get away with selling GPRS, ringtones, news bulletins,
>games, etc. at astronomicallly high prices.

And you should see the fact with hotlink, you can top up straight from
your BNZ account by texting the pin number of your eftpos card to
vodafone and that's it.

Spending money has never been easier.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

-=rjh=-

Alastair .geek.nz wrote:
> In <43293628$(E-Mail Removed)> -=rjh=- wrote:
>

>>Richard wrote:

>>>Because he is on prepay so paying the casual rate most likly

>>That's right; that's why I said "equivalent". I know I'm not really
>>being fair to Vodaphone in that comparison, but for casual use their
>>rates are insane. I think that they are probably a real disincentive
>>for getting the market to adopt new usage habits - so much for the
>>"knowledge economy" (and how much has *that* phrase featured in the
>>run up to these elections?)

> If you're using a prepaid phone, then you've only got yourself to blame
> for the fact that you're getting ripped off.

I disagree - you don't even know what my phone usage is, so I don't see
how you can justify a comment like that. For example, my total prepay
costs for the last couple of years is probably around $100.00.

I'm not saying I'm getting ripped off, I was merely pointing out the
rate casual data is charged for.

> The problem with prepaid phone connections is that they appeal mainly to
> teenagers, as they are too young to apply for credit and therefore can't
> be offered a billed account. The fact that teenagers are inexperienced
> at managing their finances, coupled with the fact that prepaid
> connections do not offer any regular statement, makes it easy for the
> phone companies to get away with selling GPRS, ringtones, news bulletins,
> games, etc. at astronomicallly high prices.

Again, I disagree with your comments above - and why pick on teenagers
particularly? A lot of adults cannot manage their finances, either, and
I know teenagers and younger who manage very well.

Prepay is used by many of my friends, and we are definitely not
teenagers. I think prepay is probably used by a lot of people whose
primary use of the phone is not business, or who make few or only wish
to accept incoming calls.

I fail to see how prepay iself, and especially in my case is a worse
decision than a fixed monthly charge.

-=rjh=-

Alastair .geek.nz wrote:
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> -=rjh=- wrote:
>

>>Philip wrote:

>>>Woosh launched a VoIP service, so does it mean they solved their
>>>latency problem?

>>Woosh' most recent response - the signal path over water must be
>>causing problems. Funny, cos my cellphone works just fine connecting
>>to cells across the harbour - how is woosh different?

> Your phone uses GSM, whereas Woosh uses W-CDMA.

I thought Telecom 025 phones used CDMA?

Alastair .geek.nz

In <432a63c9$(E-Mail Removed)> -=rjh=- wrote:

> Alastair .geek.nz wrote:

>> Your phone uses GSM, whereas Woosh uses W-CDMA.

> I thought Telecom 025 phones used CDMA?

Nope.

Telecom 025 : TDMA (or AMPS on really old handsets)
Telecom 027 : CDMA 1xRTT and CDMA EV-DO
Vodafone : GSM / 3GSM (or UMTS as it used to be known)
Woosh : W-CDMA

Technically, 3GSM is based on W-CDMA technology, but legacy GSM handsets
use a completely different air interface.