Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Skype free internet phone calls

Skype free internet phone calls

Richard

Dave Taylor wrote:
> It also will use your bandwidth to help others get their conversations from
> end to end, when you are not using it and it is sitting in the systray. I
> close mine for this reason when I am not using it.

I wont even use it thanks to that carry on.

Dave Taylor

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4329292a$(E-Mail Removed):

> Dave Taylor wrote:
>> It also will use your bandwidth to help others get their
>> conversations from end to end, when you are not using it and it is
>> sitting in the systray. I close mine for this reason when I am not
>> using it.

> I wont even use it thanks to that carry on.

That carry on is how it works. Voice quality to North America land lines
using Skype out is better than using my land line.

--
Ciao, Dave

Daver

How can that possibly be true?

news:4329292a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave Taylor wrote:
> > It also will use your bandwidth to help others get their conversations

from
> > end to end, when you are not using it and it is sitting in the systray.

> > close mine for this reason when I am not using it.

> I wont even use it thanks to that carry on.

John in Surrey

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:37:46 +1200, "Gary L T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I wondered if anyone has had any experience using Skype:
>http://www.skype.com

I use it in the UK to phone home to nz, I use the skype out service
which dials out to nz exchanges.
We have talked for hours and only used €10 and everyone says the call
quality is superiour to a toll call from the UK.
Its all we will ever use for toll calls.
I call vai bt broadband

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <Xns96D2BE11E47D1daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6> ,
Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dgbg9m.1dg.1
>@fairground.synaptic.net.nz:
>
>> It will use as much of your net as you give it.

>It also will use your bandwidth to help others get their conversations from
>end to end, when you are not using it and it is sitting in the systray.

I thought this wouldn't be necessary with TCP/UDP hole punching, but I
guess that's still not 100% reliable...

Richard

Dave Taylor wrote:

> That carry on is how it works. Voice quality to North America land lines
> using Skype out is better than using my land line.

Well they can take there product and shove it, I dread to think what the call
quality thru my meger 256/128k here would be for the people using it.

as far as I am concerned, if you cant handle portfowarding to get incoming
connections, you shouldnt be able to use 2 way things such as voice

Richard

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> In article <Xns96D2BE11E47D1daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6> ,
> Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dgbg9m.1dg.1
>>@fairground.synaptic.net.nz:
>>

>>>It will use as much of your net as you give it.

>>It also will use your bandwidth to help others get their conversations from
>>end to end, when you are not using it and it is sitting in the systray.

> I thought this wouldn't be necessary with TCP/UDP hole punching, but I
> guess that's still not 100% reliable...

Well skype manages to make an attempt at working from the crippled unitec
wireless that has only got ports http, https, pop3 imap and something else I
forget open, so it has to be going thru somewhere that someone has a machine
with port 80 available for it to connect to. It doesnt work well but I have
never had skype work "well"

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>> In article <Xns96D2BE11E47D1daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6> ,
>> Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dgbg9m.1dg.1
>>>@fairground.synaptic.net.nz:

>>>It also will use your bandwidth to help others get their conversations from
>>>end to end, when you are not using it and it is sitting in the systray.

>> I thought this wouldn't be necessary with TCP/UDP hole punching, but I
>> guess that's still not 100% reliable...

>Well skype manages to make an attempt at working from the crippled unitec
>wireless that has only got ports http, https, pop3 imap and something else I
>forget open...

<http://gnunet.org/papers/nat.pdf>

Gary L T

"John in Surrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:37:46 +1200, "Gary L T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I wondered if anyone has had any experience using Skype:
>>http://www.skype.com
>>

> I use it in the UK to phone home to nz, I use the skype out service
> which dials out to nz exchanges.
> We have talked for hours and only used ?10 and everyone says the call
> quality is superiour to a toll call from the UK.
> Its all we will ever use for toll calls.
> I call vai bt broadband

Thanks again for all the interesting replies. Another question: When I
use the "view profile" option of people who come up in a search, it
shows a circle with a question mark in the middle and says:
"pending authorization". Does anyone know what this means?

Daver

They need to authorise you so you can see when they are online.