Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Internet

Internet

J.wilson

Attempting to access:

http://www.halturnershow.com/index.html

I get "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable"

I'm reasonable sure the site is available since it is referred to
in an Alt.politics post so what could be blocking it?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

J.wilson wrote:
> Attempting to access:
>
> http://www.halturnershow.com/index.html
>
> I get "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable"
>
> I'm reasonable sure the site is available since it is referred to
> in an Alt.politics post so what could be blocking it?

wont load here either.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Chris Hope

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> J.wilson wrote:
>> Attempting to access:
>>
>> http://www.halturnershow.com/index.html
>>
>> I get "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable"
>>
>> I'm reasonable sure the site is available since it is referred to
>> in an Alt.politics post so what could be blocking it?

> wont load here either.

The nameservers for that domain are unreachable.

J.wilson

"Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dg7kr6$n2h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> J.wilson wrote:
>>> Attempting to access:
>>>
>>> http://www.halturnershow.com/index.html
>>>
>>> I get "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable"
>>>
>>> I'm reasonable sure the site is available since it is referred to
>>> in an Alt.politics post so what could be blocking it?

>> wont load here either.

> The nameservers for that domain are unreachable.
>
> --
> Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.co.nz

(Sorry Chris, wrong button

Is there a way around this? I mean if the site can be accessed by,
for example, people in America even though it is unreachable from
here it might be accessed by some kind of proxy?

Chris Hope

J.wilson wrote:

> "Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dg7kr6$n2h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>> wont load here either.

>> The nameservers for that domain are unreachable.
>>

> (Sorry Chris, wrong button
>
> Is there a way around this? I mean if the site can be accessed by,
> for example, people in America even though it is unreachable from
> here it might be accessed by some kind of proxy?

The server the site itself is on may well be reachable, but the way a
website address works is the domain name has to be translated into an
ip address before your browser can look the server and website up. The
server that hosts the domain name for that particular site is what is
unreachable.

It's kind of like how when you want to find someone's phone number you
look their name up in the phone book, only in this case you can't find
the phone book.

From the trace program I ran the problem appears to be on a network in
the US. I guess you'll just have to try again tomorrow and /maybe/ it
will be reachable again then.

Invisible

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:07:48 +1200, "J.wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a way around this? I mean if the site can be accessed by,
>for example, people in America even though it is unreachable from
>here it might be accessed by some kind of proxy?

Seems to work through this: http://anonycat.com/index.htm

Chris Hope

Chris Hope wrote:

> J.wilson wrote:
>

>> "Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dg7kr6$n2h$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The nameservers for that domain are unreachable.
>>>

>> (Sorry Chris, wrong button
>>
>> Is there a way around this? I mean if the site can be accessed by,
>> for example, people in America even though it is unreachable from
>> here it might be accessed by some kind of proxy?

> The server the site itself is on may well be reachable, but the way a
> website address works is the domain name has to be translated into an
> ip address before your browser can look the server and website up. The
> server that hosts the domain name for that particular site is what is
> unreachable.
>
> It's kind of like how when you want to find someone's phone number you
> look their name up in the phone book, only in this case you can't find
> the phone book.
>
> From the trace program I ran the problem appears to be on a network in
> the US. I guess you'll just have to try again tomorrow and /maybe/ it
> will be reachable again then.

Looks like it works via the proxy Invisible suggested. It must have an
easier route to those servers

J.wilson

"Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dg8kdt$h4q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris Hope wrote:
>
>> J.wilson wrote:
>>

>>> "Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:dg7kr6$n2h$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> (Sorry Chris, wrong button
>>>
>>> Is there a way around this? I mean if the site can be accessed by,
>>> for example, people in America even though it is unreachable from
>>> here it might be accessed by some kind of proxy?

>> The server the site itself is on may well be reachable, but the way a
>> website address works is the domain name has to be translated into an
>> ip address before your browser can look the server and website up. The
>> server that hosts the domain name for that particular site is what is
>> unreachable.
>>
>> It's kind of like how when you want to find someone's phone number you
>> look their name up in the phone book, only in this case you can't find
>> the phone book.
>>
>> From the trace program I ran the problem appears to be on a network in
>> the US. I guess you'll just have to try again tomorrow and /maybe/ it
>> will be reachable again then.

> Looks like it works via the proxy Invisible suggested. It must have an
> easier route to those servers
>
> --
> Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.co.nz

Many thanks for that, Chris, and Invisible.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:07:48 +1200, "J.wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Is there a way around this? I mean if the site can be accessed by,
>>for example, people in America even though it is unreachable from
>>here it might be accessed by some kind of proxy?
>>

>Seems to work through this: http://anonycat.com/index.htm

Sometimes people "cloak" websites from access by particular IP addresses.