Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Using an old machine with Linux (?) as a Router

Using an old machine with Linux (?) as a Router

Alan

Hi,

I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).

Has anyone actually done this?

There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking
for a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide
(say) that worked well.

Thanks,

Alan.

Shane

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:18:36 +1200, Alan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6 GB
> HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
>
> Has anyone actually done this?
>
> There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking for
> a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide (say) that
> worked well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

My firewall is a Pentium 200 MHz with 48 MB of RAM (its one of my faster
machines <blush>)
The specs you give are more than enough for most nix (including a desktop)
Presumably this is for a home connection, therefore you wont be handling
a huge amount of traffic, so this box is ideal
Guides are for the weak, for simplicity most people would recommend you
start with something like smoothwall, the next step up would be any distro
(eg slackware, debian, suse, red hat, mandriva etc.) and write your own
iptables script using the tutorial at www.tldp.org
Or use a GUI firewall POS like guarddog, or firestarter
Next step up would be OpenBSD using pf this is easy to setup once you are
adept with something like iptables, but not really very hard ( the hard
part is really figuring out what your nics are)

HTH

Armpit

> Guides are for the weak, for simplicity most people would recommend you
> start with something like smoothwall, the next step up would be any distro
> (eg slackware, debian, suse, red hat, mandriva etc.) and write your own

Yeah, smoothwall is simple and easy to set up.
You just write the install to a CD which it boots from.
There are a few initial text based prompts, then its a GUI interface all
the way.

If you want to get a little more advanced, there are mods for stuff like
IPSEC as well.

Robert Cooze

Alan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
> GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
>
> Has anyone actually done this?
>
> There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking
> for a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide
> (say) that worked well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

My fireWall router is a Pentium 100 intell thingie with 64Mb ram and the
disk is 2gig in size

It does not have a monter or keybord I think yours would be over kill

Alan

"Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> My fireWall router is a Pentium 100 intell thingie with 64Mb ram and
> the disk is 2gig in size
>
> It does not have a monter or keybord I think yours would be over
> kill

Any hints on how you set it up?

A step by step guide written for the really technically challenged
perhaps?

Alan.

shannon

Alan wrote:
> "Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>My fireWall router is a Pentium 100 intell thingie with 64Mb ram and
>>the disk is 2gig in size
>>
>>It does not have a monter or keybord I think yours would be over
>>kill
>>

> Any hints on how you set it up?
>
> A step by step guide written for the really technically challenged
> perhaps?
>
> Alan.

I used LEAF which runs from a floppy,
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=158608
it has an installation and user guide here
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/bering/i...N_position=2:2

Chris Hope

Alan wrote:

> "Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> My fireWall router is a Pentium 100 intell thingie with 64Mb ram and
>> the disk is 2gig in size
>>
>> It does not have a monter or keybord I think yours would be over
>> kill
>>

> Any hints on how you set it up?
>
> A step by step guide written for the really technically challenged
> perhaps?

If you used Smoothwall, for example, there is documentation about how to
install it here: http://www.smoothwall.org/docs/ From a quick look at
it the install document has screenshots of the whole install process so
may be what you are looking for. I've never used Smoothwall myself but
I do sell it on CD.

GJ

Alan wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
>GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
>
>Has anyone actually done this?
>
>There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking
>for a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide
>(say) that worked well.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Alan.

I have something similar but use SME Server http://www.contribs.org

Is more of a Small Business Server with Router, Firewall, Mailserver,
MySQL, Apache, PHP and lots more.

It is not as secure as a dedicated firewall as it runs a number of
services but it has worked really well for me.

GJ

Justin

Alan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
> GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
>
> Has anyone actually done this?
>
> There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking
> for a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide
> (say) that worked well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

Try IPCop (www.ipcop.org).

Providing you understand basic networking you should be able to set one
up in about 15-30 min.

Also install Advanced Proxy and URL Filter and you can control where
people can and cannot access.

Installed this at a clients of mine and reduced excess bandwidth by
approx 2 Gig per month saving the client $100's per month as well as
increasing staff productivity 2 or 3 fold.

HTH

Alan

"GJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4326af20$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have something similar but use SME Server http://www.contribs.org
>
> Is more of a Small Business Server with Router, Firewall,
> Mailserver, MySQL, Apache, PHP and lots more.
>
> It is not as secure as a dedicated firewall as it runs a number of
> services but it has worked really well for me.
>
> GJ

Hi GJ,

I guess you could conceivably set this up *behind* a dedicated router
PC which would then overcome any security reduction issues?

I do have access to more than one old machine, but space could become
a marital issue of course!

Alan.